Thread: Looking to change my program.

Looking to change my program.

I have been lifting for a long time. I change it up every 4 months or so. Depends on wether i'm growing or not.

In theory this program sounds good. I just don't see how i would reach hypertrophy doing only one exercise for that body part. I would leave the gym feeling like i didnt do anything. I hardly get sore now from 19 sets per muscle group. i am training twice a day. What are your thoughts? how can this work or be better than hypertrophy based workout.

Also, i have been looking into this bosshog workout.
    how is this workout superior to the bosshog?

My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Well, if that is you in your avatar, then you probably don't need HCT-12.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks for the link. it offers no insight why this program may be superior to bosshog or any other bodybuilding program for mass.

The Principles article will provide you with the insight you need to determine whether HCT-12 is better/worse/same as Bosshog and any other program for that matter as well as answering your other questions. Incidentally this is a 'hypertrophy based workout'.

What kind of progress have you made with the 19 sets pr bodypart and twice a day workouts?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    What kind of progress have you made with the 19 sets pr bodypart and twice a day workouts?
    I feel like u don't approve of this but i'll bite anyway.

Progress has been steady for the last 6 months (which is longer than i usually go before i switch it up). Bench press has increased from 235 to 330lbs. Deep Squat 225 to 365 (knee and hip degeneration keeps me from going to heavy). Deadlifts went from 285 to 405.

I know this may sound miraculous but for the past two years i was stuck , weights barely fluctuating. I decide to increase my volume and my body responded. I have been listening to my body first. I would love to keep going at this pace but listening to my body i feel like i need to back off. That's why i am looking for another routine.

I'm very interested in this routine but i feel like if it was as good as the hype ( only on this website and forum) then more people would be doing it. I'm skeptical of doing one exercise with very few sets will get the pump/ hypertrophy and motor end plate activation that can cause genetic expression and protein synthesis thats need for muscle growth not just stimulation. I understand that you are pushing it with the waiting 30 sec pump out 2 more but is that enough? and what is enough?

well from what i can tell you dont think the program will work so it wont. Best thing I think anyone can tell you is try it out and give it an honest effort and see if it works, after all there are people with better stats than you (according to your previous post) doing this.

Edit: I'm doing it because I really stagnated on my 3x3x5 (# exercises x # of sets x #reps) routine and I was doing a 5x5x5 routine before that. As I have progressed in my training less has been more. If i tried to do 25 reps for a body region now i'd be overtrained in no time but back when I was starting up again it was no problem progressing. I'm sure you'll find the same thing true.
    Last edited by dynamo; 06-09-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Sounds like you are one of the lucky guys that respond well to volume. You could always try the HCT-12 routine and see how you do on it. A cycle or two isn't going to set you back and you might find you respond to low volume and high intensity too. If not, you only spent a month or so out of a lifetime of training.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Progress has been steady for the last 6 months (which is longer than i usually go before i switch it up). Bench press has increased from 235 to 330lbs. Deep Squat 225 to 365 (knee and hip degeneration keeps me from going to heavy). Deadlifts went from 285 to 405.

I know this may sound miraculous but for the past two years i was stuck , weights barely fluctuating. I decide to increase my volume and my body responded. I have been listening to my body first. I would love to keep going at this pace but listening to my body i feel like i need to back off. That's why i am looking for another routine.
    You seem to have responded well (you don't actually say what the routine is), congratulations. Why don't you back off somewhat or take a complete break for a couple weeks and start again? Simple solution and it allows you to stick to a program you know works.

I'm very interested in this routine but i feel like if it was as good as the hype ( only on this website and forum) then more people would be doing it.
    The program respects all the facets required to grow muscle, the Principles article will tell you what these facets are and will also show you that all other successful program also fall within these parameters.
    The program was released approx 1 month ago on this website alone - how many people do you realistically expect to be using it in that short timescale?

I'm skeptical of doing one exercise with very few sets will get the pump/ hypertrophy and motor end plate activation that can cause genetic expression and protein synthesis thats need for muscle growth not just stimulation. I understand that you are pushing it with the waiting 30 sec pump out 2 more but is that enough? and what is enough?
    That underlined sentence makes no sense. But I understand what you're getting at - the principles article explains how muscle growth is stimulated but rest assured this program is enough. Try the process on one exercise in your next session see how it feels, you lose nothing substituting your normal sets reps on one exercise.

As for your 19+ sets vs one exercise and fewer sets, again, just try it. A more famous and followed program DoggCrapp utilises one exercise for a similar number of sets if that gives you comfort - check out Shelby Starnes or Dusty Hanshaw they use it exclusively and have done for years.

We're not here to convince you to try it, we've given the tools to help you understand every program and why they do or do not work. Good luck on your journey.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 06-10-2010 at 03:13 AM.

I appreciate the feedback. I figured you were going to blast me so i was getting ready for the worst. I agree, that it wouldn't hurt to try. I will give it a try. I will just try keeping the intensity high.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I figured you were going to blast me so i was getting ready for the worst.
    Ha ha -- This isn't BB.com. Most everybody here wants to learn and help each other.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I figured you were going to blast me so i was getting ready for the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Ha ha -- This isn't BB.com. Most everybody here wants to learn and help each other.
    Lol. That deserves to be another quote of the week.
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-10-2010 at 07:56 AM.