The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Tea Time by Mike Scialabba - Newsletter Article!

Here is an article from todays newsletter:

Take a break, sit down, and relax for a minute. Sip on a nice hot cup of tea, and maybe read the paper. Or you can just rip your car up to the drive through of the nearest coffee stand, order up a big fat green tea, and roar off at a million miles a minute listening to death metal, plotting your next dead-lift PR. Whatever works. Just as long as you take some time for Tea!

Tea? Isn't that a little foo foo? Not unless you consider low stress, low cholesterol, increased metabolism, decreased chances of heart disease and cancer foo foo.

High stress, high cholesterol, heart disease and cancer are all well known to every single adult throughout the world. If you could take one pill per day and decrease your chance of having one or all of these ailments would you do it? I would. There is no pill that claims to cover all of these, but there is green tea! Now if you drink one cup of green tea per day are you guaranteed to not get stressed, never have high cholesterol, prevent heart disease and cancer? No, probably not, but if you can reduce your chances, you should!

Come on, this cup of green tea has 'relax' written all over it!

What's in it?

Green Tea is high in:

Antioxidants – compounds that stabilize free radicals and aid in the prevention of cell damage

Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) – a major catechin thought to inhibit destructive chemical reactions in our bodies that may lead to disease.

Theanine – an amino acid that is said to promote a sense of relaxation without the drowsiness.

Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, B2, and B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin K.

Caffeine – 1 cup provides about 30mg, dramatically less than 1 cup of coffee, but just enough to slightly stimulate the mind!

There are too many pollutants, byproducts, and toxins moving into our bodies without our control, and unless we take the time to consume the things we need, our bodies and minds will suffer the consequence.

Take some time for Tea.

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - June 10th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I love green tea. Used to make it all the time, but kinda got out of the habit. Helps relax me so much after work...

I can never just drink one cup, though. That's madness. I fix a pot and usually re-infuse at least once. Probably about 3 to 6 cups. Not really sure what that means, health-wise. I think I read you shouldn't have more than 6 cups in a day. But I usually stop at one pot (~24 oz)

I know the bottled stuff (Arizona, Peace Tea, Fuze) isn't as good as it has all kinds of sugar, etc... added to it. But how do y'all feel about them? I get them every now and then, usually Fuze. The Peace Tea is really good, even if it is covered in hippie crap. Also, for a quick drink, I get this green tea powder from an asian market down the road. Sugary, but good and fast.

Anyone know if putting Equal/Splenda/Sweet n' Low in Green Tea would counteract any of the positives of green tea?

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    Anyone know if putting Equal/Splenda/Sweet n' Low in Green Tea would counteract any of the positives of green tea?
    Hmmm... I'm not informed enough to know for sure but I don't see how. Other than screwing up the taste of perfectly good tea... But now that you bring it up I'm curious to know.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelDogg View Post
    Hmmm... I'm not informed enough to know for sure but I don't see how. Other than screwing up the taste of perfectly good tea... But now that you bring it up I'm curious to know.
    Yeah, I've tried green tea straight but I just can't hack it. I was never a tea drinker as it is.

Yeah, I've tried green tea straight but I just can't hack it. I was never a tea drinker as it is.
    A friend of mine was the same way, but green tea is one of those things where you might hate one brand and love another. I'd suggest reading up on the proper ways to make it and then trying a few brands sans the sugar. I love Sencha, but I can see how some people might not. But something like Harney & Sons Canton Green Tea is pretty good, with it's orange-y flavor, and easier for someone not used to it. I get the Harny & Sons at Starbucks. Not sure if it's at EVERY Starbucks, but it's been in every one I've been in.

Make sure you don't seep too long. It'll get bitter. Some teas can go longer than others. 3-5 minutes is usually tops. Also, check the water temperature. Boiling hot or even scalding hot water burns the tea and makes it nasty. Those are the two biggest mistakes people make. Mainly the hot water. Also, tea bags are the devil. If it's in a bag, it has to be the oversized kind because green tea expands. If it's in one of those regular looking tea bags, it won't brew properly. And if it's in that kind of bag, it's probably just like shake... not the good stuff you want.

There are different flavored teas, but I stay away from any specific flavored ones. The Harney & Sons is good, though. I avoid Tazo like the plague.

Also, you could try putting mint or something like that in it. But first I would try just finding a higher quality brand and make sure your making it properly. Proper amount of water, seep time, and temperature. You'll see a HUGE difference in taste.

And if not, then break out the Splenda.

EDIT: One more thing, try finding a little Asian-type restaurant. Thai, Chinese, Japanese, whatever. Not some big one owned by some stupid round-eye. Find a smaller, more authentic place if you can. Order hot green tea. If it's a good place, the tea should be either loose or in one of those infuser balls, not in a bag. If it's loose, the pot will have a strainer of some kind. Chances are if they use loose tea it's the good stuff. Not fool proof, but being a huge fan of all things Asian (including the food, of course) I've found this to be fairly reliable. The best green tea I've ever had was at this little Thai place down the road from my house. Awesome.
    Last edited by RebelDogg; 06-10-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Good stuff Rebel, thanks. I'll keep this in mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelDogg View Post
    I love green tea. Used to make it all the time, but kinda got out of the habit. Helps relax me so much after work...

I can never just drink one cup, though. That's madness. I fix a pot and usually re-infuse at least once. Probably about 3 to 6 cups. Not really sure what that means, health-wise. I think I read you shouldn't have more than 6 cups in a day. But I usually stop at one pot (~24 oz).
    I completely agree. I love green tea and think its most beneficial when you drink it by the pot. I'll usually re-infuse a couple of times so I'm looking at like 10 cups over the course of an hour or so. You feel awesome when you drink that amount.

Good sencha is my favourite general purpose tea as well. There was a shop run by an old Chinese couple near my old flat that did so many varieties of tea, it was amazing. You'd generally get a cup or two just when you were buying. They'd always let you sample the product first.
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-11-2010 at 10:03 AM.

I love honey in mine...an addition that is sweet as well as loaded with stuff that has a positive effect on your body.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    ... You feel awesome when you drink that amount...
    Oh, I love the feeling I get from drinking good hot green tea. I remember when I first started drinking it... such a warm feeling of well being... not really high or drunk or anything like that, just a good assed feeling. Mmmm... fixing some up right as soon as I finish cutting grass. Gonna be so good...

Oh, just throwing this out there because I'm too lazy to go look it up again now, but I read somewhere something about eating with green tea. I don't know if it was eating WITH the tea or within so long of drinking it or what, but apparently something in green tea blocks... something... something... science... ouch, head... anyway, like I said I long since forgot it. I rarely take my tea with food, generally after a meal. I think it's kinda like the whole raw eggs with your whey protein thing. Avidin and biotin or whatever. Anyone know anything about that?

Banned
    This is a geeky admission but I'm actually so into my tea I own several books on the subject. I even gave a talk about tea and the opium wars once.

If you're right it will be in one of the books. However I'm moving house tomorrow and I've just packed everything up!

I know that the high tannin content in black tea might possibly be linked to mouth and throat cancers, but if you add milk to your tea then the tannins combine with the milk proteins and the risk is neutralised. Are you thinking about that?
    Last edited by J.C.; 06-12-2010 at 08:30 AM.

No, I don't think so. I was specifically reading about green tea at the time. I'll look it up later today if I get the chance. I do it now, but I'm about to do some stuff...

I procrastinate a lot. I'll have to work on that at some point...

Anyway, I grew up on Community Tea (local coffee/tea company, not sure if it's all over the U. S. or not. Probably is.) I never heard of putting milk in tea... interesting. But then again I cringe at cafe au lait (or coffee with milk.) Ruins good coffee... but I'm getting

Banned
    Adding milk to black tea is standard across most of Europe. It turns it a lovely golden colour.

Google image search for "cup of tea".

The practice of adding milk to tea is Mongolian originally but I've no idea why it caught on with the British in such a big way.