Thread: tried the 1 hour chinup challenge

tried the 1 hour chinup challenge

well after reading the post for world records in chins (which i believe was 908) i wanted to give it a try. did it at a bodyweight of 265. i got 140 in 44 minutes then my hands ripped open and i was bleeding on the bar so i called it quits. ill tell you waht though this was a great lat and biceps workout. i was fried and it was a fun new way to challenge myself. excited to try it again and beat my record. any suggestions on strategy? i basically did every seat to near failure almost as many as i could get then rested and went again. perhaps there are better ways to go about it?
    thanks
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

The world record is one chin up every four seconds, for an hour..??
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

haha ya...if you scroll down the training forum page there's a thread with all the records in it.....its pretty sick

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-World-Records
    Last edited by the one; 06-28-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: adding link
    the grass could be greener, and itll always be greener on the other side, but you just never know....this could be the one

Quote Originally Posted by the one View Post
    well after reading the post for world records in chins (which i believe was 908) i wanted to give it a try. did it at a bodyweight of 265. i got 140 in 44 minutes then my hands ripped open and i was bleeding on the bar so i called it quits. ill tell you waht though this was a great lat and biceps workout. i was fried and it was a fun new way to challenge myself. excited to try it again and beat my record. any suggestions on strategy? i basically did every seat to near failure almost as many as i could get then rested and went again. perhaps there are better ways to go about it?
    thanks
    Were you doing palms-facing toward you or away from you? Either way 140 in 44 minutes at your bodyweight is a solid number.

I would say that you could probably get a few more if you kept a rep or two in the tank on each set - this should speed up your recovery between sets and allow you to perform an easy couple of reps at the start of each set.

Might have to give this a try some time; it does sound like a good challenge/workout.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

did it with palms facing me. doesnt seem to affect my shoulder that way as opposed to palms away. might try with a neutral grip next time. ya i started with 6 sets of 6 then after that basically got as many as i could usually 3-5 and if i took a long rest maybe 7

at 265 you are HUGE. I'd like to see that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    at 265 you are HUGE. I'd like to see that.
    I'd like to see a sped-up version.

haha well im 6'5 so its spread out not too compact.

OK, I'm curious about this.. What is the chin up protocol? Completely arms-straight at the bottom?
    (I freely admit I didn't look at the link yet)
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    you could just do singles every 10 seconds that would put you at 360 which would be solid
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Best way to do this (and I'm speaking from experience) is one every x seconds. I've done 1 every 6 seconds which allowed me to do 100 in 13:20. I'd definitely be up for the challenge to do this in an hour. I felt pretty fresh after the 13:20, too. It's hard as hell mentally, but physically, I was able to bang out 20 straight immediately after I was done so I may be good for the hour. If I ended up doing it for the hour at that pace, I'd end up doing 454 -- it's just a matter of actually doing it...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

ya i made sure every rep from dead hang and all the way up til chin over bar. towards the end my knees were coming up and i was jerking a little bit but still from a dead hang so i still counted them. Keith that sounds like a good plan. id have to determine how many seconds i would have to keep up with. maybe start with one every 12 seconds or so and work my way down.
    thanks for the input guys