The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

same lift or variations

I'd like to know what everybody's opinion is...

Is it better to rotate a couple of lifts, or is it better to keep hitting the same lift?

For instance...would it be better to do bench press every time you workout your chest, or would it be better to rotate between bench press one time and then bar dips the next time?

I think hitting the same lift every time will make you better at that particular lift and lead to bigger gains.

I think rotating a couple of different lifts will help keep you from stalling on any one lift.

Thoughts...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'd like to know what everybody's opinion is...

Is it better to rotate a couple of lifts, or is it better to keep hitting the same lift?

For instance...would it be better to do bench press every time you workout your chest, or would it be better to rotate between bench press one time and then bar dips the next time?

I think hitting the same lift every time will make you better at that particular lift and lead to bigger gains.

I think rotating a couple of different lifts will help keep you from stalling on any one lift.

Thoughts...
    It would depend on your goals. If you wanted to increase poundage on a lift or lifts then it would be better to keep training those same lifts.

If you just wanted to get bigger everywhere you might wish to rotate in some lifts...say some isolation along with the compounds in order to get every last 1/4 inch of growth out. (Some people do report additional growth when adding isolation so I suppose it's possible).

But as far as personal opinion goes I'm not a big believer in variety. For example, I've used several different programs over the years, but I've always structured them around the squat/deadlift movements.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Pick your money makers and stick to them. I don't think there is any question about it.

When you're all over the place your body doesn't really get much better at doing any said lift. As far as big compounds go pick some and stick with them. Your body will become better at them through neurological adaptions resulting in more strength and size. For instance, I choose IC DB press as my primary chest movement every week and have for years. I'm 17 weeks into a cut and can put up the 120s for sets of reps, yet my 1rm flat bb bench is probably less that 3pps. I chose the lift I did becuase I never cared for the ego mantra that followed bb bench. It made no difference to me. But had I lifted that lift like I did the DBs I'd be disproportional the other way in strength with likely pretty much the same chest size. However had I chose to bounce back and forth I would have never made it into heavy poundages with either ultimately resulting in a less built chest.

I don't mean to say never switch. By all means do so. Just don't do it too often. For back my staple was weighted pullups for the longest time. But as of the last 12-18 months I've made BB rows or Pendley rows the staple.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-28-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Hmmm...(playing Devil's Advocate)...

Having two different lifts to rotate would keep you from having to deload as often. If I was to push my back squat hard, I'd probably deload every 6 weeks or so. If I was to rotate between a back squat and a front squat every session, I could extend those deloads out a lot farther. I might also make better long term gains that way too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I bulked from mid august 09 through february 10 and added 70lbs on my squat 1rm. No deload.

Paul (unholy) did much more and in much less time using smolov squatting, I believe, at times 5x per week.

Granted neither of us are going to keep those poundages without working back up to them. You cannot keep up that type of intensity indefinetly, but the hypertophy will still remain, ultimately allowing for an even greater surge if one were to train or what some might call "overtrain" again.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Hmmm...(playing Devil's Advocate)...

Having two different lifts to rotate would keep you from having to deload as often. If I was to push my back squat hard, I'd probably deload every 6 weeks or so. If I was to rotate between a back squat and a front squat every session, I could extend those deloads out a lot farther. I might also make better long term gains that way too.
    (Playing DA from the other side)

Better gains as in size or strength? Size maybe (because you have a longer training period) but as for strength I don't see how rotating lifts gives you that. It seems to me that it's simply taking longer to get to your max as opposed to using just one exercise and hitting it hard and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    (Playing DA from the other side)

Better gains as in size or strength? Size maybe (because you have a longer training period) but as for strength I don't see how rotating lifts gives you that. It seems to me that it's simply taking longer to get to your max as opposed to using just one exercise and hitting it hard and heavy.
    I like this game...

Taking longer to reach your max can lead to bigger gains (both strength and size) due to overcompensation; longer periods to recover, thus over-reaching your max. Also, hitting a main lift and an accessory lift has been shown to have a good effect on strength gains (think Westside and 5/3/1). Strength gains have been shown to have a good effect on muscle growth.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal