The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Advice after compression fracture

Hey, I have been a lurker for a while. I have never posted looking for advice as i didnt think i would actually folllow it before. Now i am confident that i can ask advice and actually stick to it. Long story short I have always been sporadic in working out for years. 7 weeks ago i suffered a compression fracture of my L1 and couldnt work out if I wanted too. So that caused me to really watch my diet as i didnt wanna gain a bunch of weight and i actually ended up losing close to 20 pounds. In the pics there is actually about 25-30lbs difference. My question is should i try and drop to a fairly low BF % first and start with a clean slate or just get back into lifting and eating in excess again since i was cleared for activity again. Thanks for any advice or opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    I guess i should also state that it isnt recommended that i not try and lift to terribly heavy. Obviously with the lower back. He hrecommended if i do squat to do it light and said i should not deadlift for possibly up to another 2 months. So i guess that is my dilema wether to just keep in a caloric deficit and cardio with light lifting or eat more and try to gain where i can.

Im no expert, but my situation is similar to yours. I'm coming off a back injury and am focused on getting BF down to 10%. I still lift as heavy as I can with the upper body, but lower body has been more of a "start low and slowly work up" tactic. Its hard to keep energy levels up with a caloric deficit, but I'm still making gains with HCT-12.

So I guess, in short, Im lifting within my boundries and doing very moderate conditionoing (incline walking), while keeping up with my calorie deficit. I just think too much cardio with the deficit will eat away at muscle too easy.

Wannabebig New Member
    That is kind of my thought exactly is to try lift the muscles I can as heavy as possible and ease into the other ones. I also kicked around the idea of trying for 10%. In the first pic I was at 23% accoriding to 7 point caliper test. Not sure about now but have the least amount of fat since 10 years ago. Dont think I have ever been 10% before so thoght i would try for that. I have been doing walking and a moderate amout of biking for exercise. But it sure sucks having to east back into it considering I didnt have that much stregth to begin with and now i want to get it back as quickly as possible.