Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Sleeves - APT vs Elite FTS

Garage Lifter

Knee Sleeves - APT vs Elite FTS

Has anyone tried both brands? I have EFS's heavy knee sleeves in a large and I'm having a real hard time getting them on (gained about 15lbs since I bought them). My first pair of knee sleeves were the red and black APT knees sleeves which I also outgrew.

I'm really curious how the 2ply Convict sleeves compare to the heavy knees I have now. Are they more comfortable/easier to get on? More or less carryover? General impressions?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

edit: Also curious about the Inzer XT's, any experiences with those?

Thanks,

matt
    Last edited by StLRPh; 06-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I've been using APT double convicts XL. They are kinda worn. Thought I would get another new pair, good luck, the've been out of stock for a year. Got a pair of the Elitefts heavys. They are of the same construction. I got an XL in them also. I can't get them over my knee yet. I need to stretch them a bit. I would say they are the same. Convicts are black and white striped. Elites are Black.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Has anyone tried both brands? I have EFS's heavy knee sleeves in a large and I'm having a real hard time getting them on (gained about 15lbs since I bought them). My first pair of knee sleeves were the red and black APT knees sleeves which I also outgrew.

I'm really curious how the 2ply Convict sleeves compare to the heavy knees I have now. Are they more comfortable/easier to get on? More or less carryover? General impressions?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

edit: Also curious about the Inzer XT's, any experiences with those?

Thanks,

matt
    EFS has had all kinds of problems with their sizing, I guess that they sized them way too small and so an XL fits someone who would usually wear a Medium in other sleeves. I have heard mostly good things about the Inzer sleeves except that they are pricey and can seperate (it is basically three wraps stiched together).

Are you set on cloth? Or would you consider neoprene?

Currently I alternate between a pair of Double Ply APT Convict sleeves and Tommy Kono neoprene sleeves. For a heavy knee sleeve you cannot beat the APT convicts - they are comfortable/supportive and probably do give a little bit of carryover as well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I'd be OK with anything really but I do want something with good carryover
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I'd be OK with anything really but I do want something with good carryover
    If you want carryover then you should be using knee wraps, not sleeves.

Purchasing a sleeve that is tight enough to give any carryover will defeat the purpose since you will have to take them off between sets and it could take the same amount of time to reset them as it would wraps - but with less carryover.

If you want something practical for everyday gym work (minimal carryover but good support) then I would go with a heavy knee sleeve like an InzerXT or APT Convict - just be very sure to size them properly.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Are ATP Convicts appropriate for Oly Back Squats? Blue Rehbands are expensive. I need a knee sleeve for support.

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicForce View Post
    Are ATP Convicts appropriate for Oly Back Squats? Blue Rehbands are expensive. I need a knee sleeve for support.
    I've got the convict sleeves and they work fine for oly back squats. They are the only sleeve I've tried and I really like them, but I don't know how much carryover they have, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    I've got the convict sleeves and they work fine for oly back squats. They are the only sleeve I've tried and I really like them, but I don't know how much carryover they have, if any.
    Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I am interested in the double ply convicts for support.

Does anyone know if the sizes listed are in kgs for the bodyweight of the lifter? My guess is yes. I have emailed the company twice, but I have not received a response.
    Last edited by CosmicForce; 10-26-2010 at 09:47 PM.

I have the Inzer and I am not a big fan of them. They bunch up in a weird way. Plus to bend down to tighten and loosen them you could just use regular wraps. I have never tried the APT sleeves, but I hear lots of people are having trouble getting in touch with APT. That does not instill confidence. I do own the EFS heavy sleeve and I like them very much. If you get them really tight you'll get some decent carry over, however, you'll have to push them up and down between attempts. With a bit of a looser pair you can leave them up. I prefer a tighter pair that I pull up and down between attempts.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

APT haven't had double convickt XL, XXL in over a year for stock. So don't even bother. Go with EFS.
    Last edited by 44pirate; 10-27-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

5'`9.5" 238
    Comp Lifts
    2ply Squat 550 10/17/09 Bench 470 10/17/09 DL 480 10/17/09
    Raw Squat 550 10/26/2013 Bench 425 5/14/11 DL 530 10/26/2013

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I am interested in the double ply convicts for support.

Does anyone know if the sizes listed are in kgs for the bodyweight of the lifter? My guess is yes. I have emailed the company twice, but I have not received a response.
    I have the APT double ply convicts and I really like them, they give a lot of support and make your knees feel stable regardless of how heavy you are lifting. Right now the sleeves are out of stock but for future reference the sizing chart is in pounds, not kilograms.

Since you are doing OLY squats and I assume looking for something that you can wear throughout your workout I would pick up some Tommy Kono sleeves. They are about the same price as the APT Convict and will provide plenty of warmth along with some support.

APT sells the TK's for $39.95/pair and if you use the code "PLWATCH" they will be $33.95/pair plus you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. APT has fast shipping and they send everything priority mail so you should receive your package within a week with only about a $5 shipping charge.

I have the APT double ply convicts and I really like them, they give a lot of support and make your knees feel stable regardless of how heavy you are lifting. Right now the sleeves are out of stock but for future reference the sizing chart is in pounds, not kilograms.

Since you are doing OLY squats and I assume looking for something that you can wear throughout your workout I would pick up some Tommy Kono sleeves. They are about the same price as the APT Convict and will provide plenty of warmth along with some support.

APT sells the TK's for $39.95/pair and if you use the code "PLWATCH" they will be $33.95/pair plus you get a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. APT has fast shipping and they send everything priority mail so you should receive your package within a week with only about a $5 shipping charge.
    Thanks Tom. Not to nitpick, however I got confused because the size chart drop down menu for Double Ply Convict Heavy Kneee Sleeves says:

Small up to 70
    Medium 71-90
    Large 91-110
    OUT OF STOCK XL 111-130
    OUT OF STOCK 2XL 131-150
    OUT OF STOCK 3XL 151-190
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129177

I weight 180lbs

Thanks Tom. Not to nitpick, however I got confused because the size chart drop down menu for Double Ply Convict Heavy Kneee Sleeves says:

Small up to 70
    Medium 71-90
    Large 91-110
    OUT OF STOCK XL 111-130
    OUT OF STOCK 2XL 131-150
    OUT OF STOCK 3XL 151-190
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/129177

I weight 180lbs
    That sounds about right in terms of sizing; I have a pair of the XXL and they are the same as a size Medium in most other sleeves. I can see how you might think Kilograms though since it would make sense that XXL or XXXL would be for someone who is 300+ lbs (not 150 lbs).
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 10-27-2010 at 06:58 PM.

I always like to support APT and have found their products to be excellent.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm looking for knee sleeves myself, but APT is pretty much out of stock on everything. Again. I love their products but it seems like every time I want something they're out of stock.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Garage Lifter
    I ended up getting some Inzer XTs from House of Pain and really like them. Having tried all three, I'd they are all good but my preference is APT, then Inzer XT and then EFS.

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    I'm looking for knee sleeves myself, but APT is pretty much out of stock on everything. Again. I love their products but it seems like every time I want something they're out of stock.
    I emailed Alan the other day and he said that they expect the sleeves to be back in stock in 30-45 days. Hopefully they purchased a large inventory of them this time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I always like to support APT and have found their products to be excellent.
    I bought my grey rehbands from ATP two years ago in Dec/Jan. They are excellent and have served me well, however I think I need something tighter. Size small grey rehbands are 33-35 cm and size Small Blue rehbands that Jackals gym sells are 30-33 cm.

The reason I posted on this thread is because my knees have been bothering me lately.

I bought my grey rehbands from ATP two years ago in Dec/Jan. They are excellent and have served me well, however I think I need something tighter. Size small grey rehbands are 33-35 cm and size Small Blue rehbands that Jackals gym sells are 30-33 cm.

The reason I posted on this thread is because my knees have been bothering me lately.
    Your best bet would be to contact Jackals Gym to ask Karl how the sizing compares between the two styles of Rehband sleeves, I would not simply rely on the sizing chart - especially since they are $33.95/sleeve.

Your best bet would be to contact Jackals Gym to ask Karl how the sizing compares between the two styles of Rehband sleeves, I would not simply rely on the sizing chart - especially since they are $33.95/sleeve.
    I will. The blue sleeves are 2mm thicker than the grey ones according to Jackals Gym website, but for the same price. 7mm v. 5mm JG sells the grey ones in XS

I will. The blue sleeves are 2mm thicker than the grey ones according to Jackals Gym website, but for the same price. 7mm v. 5mm JG sells the grey ones in XS
    The blue sleeves are 7mm thick and a much better overall sleeve than the grey (larger coverage area, more durable, etc.).

If you are looking at something similar to the grey rehbands I would go with either TK sleeves ($35/pair) or Vulkan sleeves (5mm thick, similar coverage area to blue rehbands but not as durable) - $20/each. I personally own two pairs of the TK's and would recommend them; they are available in a small size.

EFS has had all kinds of problems with their sizing, I guess that they sized them way too small and so an XL fits someone who would usually wear a Medium in other sleeves. I have heard mostly good things about the Inzer sleeves except that they are pricey and can seperate (it is basically three wraps stiched together).

Currently I alternate between a pair of Double Ply APT Convict sleeves and Tommy Kono neoprene sleeves. For a heavy knee sleeve you cannot beat the APT convicts - they are comfortable/supportive and probably do give a little bit of carryover as well.
    I called EFS today to inquire about EFS Super Heavy Knee Sleeve. I told customer service my bodyweight and the circumference of my knee. The CSR suggested that I get size large instead of medium because medium is tight and I may have trouble getting them over my knee or have circulation issues.

* 185lb and below - Medium
    * 186 - 210lb - Large

The blue sleeves are 7mm thick and a much better overall sleeve than the grey (larger coverage area, more durable, etc.).

If you are looking at something similar to the grey rehbands I would go with either TK sleeves ($35/pair) or Vulkan sleeves (5mm thick, similar coverage area to blue rehbands but not as durable) - $20/each. I personally own two pairs of the TK's and would recommend them; they are available in a small size.
    I would prefer the blue rehbands. I see a lot of strongman competitors and olympic lifters wearing the blue rehbands so they must provide good support. I want to make an informed decision based on knee support and affordability. I may have to break my student budget and spend the extra money.

I called EFS today to inquire about EFS Super Heavy Knee Sleeve. I told customer service my bodyweight and the circumference of my knee. The CSR suggested that I get size large instead of medium because medium is tight and I may have trouble getting them over my knee or have circulation issues.

* 185lb and below - Medium
    * 186 - 210lb - Large
    I know that they did make efforts to correct the sizing issues.

You may want to ask them for measurements instead of bodyweight, one of my coworkers here was looking for a knee sleeve and it turned out that their knee was only 1/2" smaller than mine but we are both the same height and I weigh 85 lbs more than they do (140 vs. 225 lbs).

I would prefer the blue rehbands. I see a lot of strongman competitors and olympic lifters wearing the blue rehbands so they must provide good support. I want to make an informed decision based on knee support and affordability. I may have to break my student budget and spend the extra money.
    I would not necessarily say "support" if you are talking about something that will provide a lot of compression or a cast-like feeling, but they are very good sleeves.

What exactly are you using the sleeves for? In some cases you may be fine with $10 neoprene sleeves from a sporting goods store and anything more would be unnecessary.

I know that they did make efforts to correct the sizing issues.

You may want to ask them for measurements instead of bodyweight, one of my coworkers here was looking for a knee sleeve and it turned out that their knee was only 1/2" smaller than mine but we are both the same height and I weigh 85 lbs more than they do (140 vs. 225 lbs).

I would not necessarily say "support" if you are talking about something that will provide a lot of compression or a cast-like feeling, but they are very good sleeves.

What exactly are you using the sleeves for? In some cases you may be fine with $10 neoprene sleeves from a sporting goods store and anything more would be unnecessary.
    Two years ago, I started feeling discomfort in my knees while squatting so I started wearing a pair of McDavid neoprene sleeves from Modells, however I still felt discomfort in my knees. Then I bought the grey rehbands. When I started wearing the grey rehbands while squatting, the discomfort went away. I never felt discomfort in my knees again.

It was not until recently that I started feeling discomfort again. I cannot figure out what is causing the discomfort.

Two years ago, I started feeling discomfort in my knees while squatting so I started wearing a pair of McDavid neoprene sleeves from Modells, however I still felt discomfort in my knees. Then I bought the grey rehbands. When I started wearing the grey rehbands while squatting, the discomfort went away. I never felt discomfort in my knees again.

It was not until recently that I started feeling discomfort again. I cannot figure out what is causing the discomfort.
    You may want to look at your training program and other factors before just looking for a better sleeve, the sleeve is more of a temporary solution rather than a true "fix".

Do you think that the discomfort is tendonitis or something more?