Thread: Super Katana versus Rage X...

Super Katana versus Rage X...

Which shirt would you guys consider the better shirt. If you are sponsored by these companies please refrain from posting. I need an unbiased response. I've been using Titan products so far and have never tried the Rage X. My first shirt was an F6 and then I switched to the super katana. The super katana is a very hard shirt to stay in the groove with. I won a gift certificate at a meet a couple of weeks ago and am thinking about giving the Rage X a go if it would be any better, or easier to use. I switched from the F6 to the SK thinking I'd get more out of it but to be honest I'm not doing any better with it. Looking for advice on which shirt would be better for an intermediate bencher.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

Single ply or double ply?
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

single ply
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Wannabebig Member
    Ive used all 3.

Rage X is very similar to the F6 - pretty forgiving and easy to learn. I probably slightly preferred the Rage X but i was between sizes in it whereas i could get an F6 to fit perfect so used that for years.

The Super Kat is a totally different animal, if you have that thing jacked and you have the lockout strength and technique required you should get at least 50% more carryover than either of the above.

I agree with Ben. A super katana is closer to a multiply shirt in all honesty. The material is very thick. I don't know how anybody could wear a double super-katana.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

I found the F6 to be a very easy shirt to learn and thought I'd hop right into the SK and be able to use it just as easy and figured out real quick how difficult it was. I got the reinforced neck on my shirt and cannot stay in groove when I jack the shirt in the least. Been using the shirt for 8-9 months now and had a successful meet in it a couple weeks ago but feel like I'm not advanced enough to use the shirt. But I agree Ben that if someone jacked the shirt to it's full potential that they could get substantially more if they have lockout strength going for them.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Wannabebig Member
    Overkill shirt!

I have both Super Katana & Rage X. The sleeves with the Katana never felt right. While I do like the RageX my Overkill shirt outperforms both of these shirts by far. One of the edges the OverKill shirt has is its tailor made to fit your body.
    Last edited by Hemi Powered; 06-04-2010 at 05:21 PM.

jm,

Hands down SK for 1-ply... If you're talking 2-ply I'd have to give the edge to the RageX. I started w/ a F6 then went to a RageX and finally a SK

I've used both shirts single ply & I felt like the Ragex gave more pop off the chest but the Katana has more support in the lock-out. If your having trouble w/ the SK and you have the $$$ try the rage X... Its a good shirt overall and is probably between the SK and the F6 as far as advanced/ carry-over.

I've benched in both... The single ply Rage X has been a good shirt for me----I took my competition bench from under 500 to 635 in a meet in a Rage X. I recently switched to a Super Katana... to put it simply: its just not as forgiving as the Rage X. If you don't have things just right with it, it craps out on you or forces you to dump the weight. It also stretches WAAAAAYYYY easier and faster than any bench shirt I've ever used. Plan on having to have it tightened if you get a single ply Super Katana.. That said, I've also benched over 700 in a single ply Super Katana in the gym since I've started using it. I'll use it in my first meet on Sunday..... opening at 635, 675 on my second attempt, and then hopefully over 700 on the third. We'll see how it goes.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

JK1 - how did your meet go?
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

super katana doesnt stretch out. it is very hard to use and need lots of weight. light weight and you will dump it. def. i have used them all and will say to get the most out of them def go with a custom fit. i get close to 200 out of my single ply sk.

Let me ask this question rather than starting a new thread. Is it okay to buy a closed back shirt and then cut the back open rather than buying an open back shirt because of the cost. I know it sounds weird but I was really wondering if there really is a difference in the manufacturing of the two. I currently use an open back and I ordered it that way but for my new shirt I was thinking of just buying closed and cutting it open. Does this make sense at all? haha
    "Expect greatness from yourself and you'll get it. Greatness isn't measured in world records. It's measured in setting and breaking your own goals and records." Matt Rhodes EFS

www.youtube.com/danny52wn

See here's my situation with my SK. I am a 460 raw bencher but have yet to net a 500+ even with a shirt at a meet. I made a 503 at my last meet with my SK but 2 out of 3 reds due to uneven extension. In the SK I feel like I am using more of my raw strength than I am with the shirt. Yet I am able to go 620 down to a 2 board. I just think the shirt is more advanced than I am experienced. Also I felt like the F6 had more pop off the bottom than the SK did. I think I'm gonna try the Rage X and see how it goes. My next meet isn't till late October so I have plenty of time to learn a new shirt. Will probably get this one custom.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    JK1 - how did your meet go?

Well.... it went ok, and it went ****ty all in the same flush...

Squat: opener: 800 2 whites
    2nd: 855 3 whites, but the bar rolled on my left shoulder as I took it out of the monolift. I'm not sure what I did, but I somehow jacked up my left wrist/forearm. This was a 30 lb meet PR on the squat.
    3rd: 900 no lift. Bar again rolled, I corrected, started down with it and felt myself pitching forward. If I had taken it to depth, I would have crashed.

left forearm was cramping/painful after squats. had a friend who is a massage therapist work on muscles, noted a couple of really painful spots, but thought we could work it out. Iced arm off and on for next couple of hours waiting for bench.

Bench:
    635 opener: 3 whites
    2nd: 675 3 whites this was a 40 lb meet PR
    3rd: 705 Something was off on my setup. not sure what, but weight came off my chest fast, then went forward towards my head. Hit the upright about halfway up and bailed.

Over all, the SK felt very good. the arms were tight, but I wasn't terribly uncomfortable in it waiting for my attempts and I felt as if I had great pop off my chest with it.

Iced both forearms after bench, felt OK going into deadlifts.

Deadlift---crapped the golden pooper with this one.
    opener: 510, weight came off the floor good, but I got this electric shock through my left arm and my weak hand (the right one---the one I've been having nerve impingement problems with gave out.
    2nd attempt: 510 same problem

got pissed, took off deadlift suit and put on just briefs. on the 3rd got 510 to just about locked, but grip was going.

In tretrospect I should have lowered my deadlift opener, but I thought it was low enough because I've pulled this weight several times in the gym and in competition. Next meet, the heck with it, I'm opening the deadlift with 405......

I also should have not tried to deadlift in a suit. I am not a little guy and i've got hamhock hands. I have to get down to the bar and get it set quickly or my grip craps out.
    Last edited by JK1; 06-07-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Quote Originally Posted by scott rowe View Post
    super katana doesnt stretch out. it is very hard to use and need lots of weight. light weight and you will dump it. def. i have used them all and will say to get the most out of them def go with a custom fit. i get close to 200 out of my single ply sk.
    Scott, I strongly disagree with you about a super katana not stretching out. Its a good shirt, IF it is fit right. It also stretches faster than any single ply shirt I've ever used.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting people dont use it, because it is a good shirt. its just if you get a single ply like I use, plan on getting it tightened at least a couple of times.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

I get about 160 pounds out of a single Rage X, My last meet I trained the whole time in the Super Katana till two weeks out I believe it can be a great shirt, But I could never get anything to touch till i went into a size bigger shirt, then had some alterations to it to tighten it some then I wasnt get the pop off the bottom I was looking for, so needless to say I prob didnt learn the shirt well enough. Super Kat has an extreme advantage in the lock out to me, but I get much more speed off the chest in the Rage X so i used it in my last comp, also i can tuck my lats and shoulder behind me lots more in the single ply scoop neck rage x because of the cut of it as opposed to the Super kat.
    Last edited by J Stottlemire; 06-11-2010 at 10:37 AM.

i have had my single ply a year in a half. never tightened. still very tight. i bench more off the collar then chest plate. maybe i wear shirt different from most people but before i hurt my arm my last workout was 730 off 1 board at 220. i think arms are more important than chest anyway. every time i go to a single ply meet everyone has collar way too high. after i heal i will put a video up. none of my patners can wear shirt that low need a good raw bench. my advise to people who use single ply katana use the collar. down to bottom of pec muscles. then chest plate doesnt matter.

scott,

you mentioned that whenever you go to a single ply meet, everyone has their collars way too high. Is this in a particular shirt or any? I am new to shirt benching and have read many articles and seen many pictures of people wearing their shirts low on their chest. I have a Fury and can't seem to get the collar any lower than just below my throat, any ideas? Doesn't pulling the collar lower give more resistance?

Tom

yeah with a fury it is going to be very high that is the cut of the shirt. more of a beginner shirt which you mentioned you were which is fine. spend some time in it cuse the sk is a whole new monster. try twisting the sleeves in to bring the collar down more. i have been wearing gear for forever and started with a blast. work on weak areas and you will know when you outgrow the shirt.

Sounds like good advice Scott, I'm workin myself on tryin to learn the SK it or the Rage X and see what shirt will be truly best for me, I used my Super Kat for some board presses last night and hit an easy five with 605 to the 3 board, i wear it low but maybe not low enough, heal up soon and tear the world up at 242 you have a heckuva a chance at owning the 242 records to in the USPF by the sounds of thing, Godspeed in healing!

thanks josh. i know my sk has a scooped neck i think that helps keep it lower. some of my parnters have regular cut and is a difference. so my 2 cents grab one with a scooped neck. healing nice josh back in gym this week, but no shirt for a few more weeks i think. hopefully by pro/am.

Quote Originally Posted by scott rowe View Post
    thanks josh. i know my sk has a scooped neck i think that helps keep it lower. some of my parnters have regular cut and is a difference. so my 2 cents grab one with a scooped neck. healing nice josh back in gym this week, but no shirt for a few more weeks i think. hopefully by pro/am.
    Glad to hear you are healing fast, I'm workin hard myself gonna finish this year with bench meets only I believe then get after the full meets again early next year, maybe we can get together at a meet sometime would love to see you put up those big numbers, I will be in the SK in about 3-4 weeks to learn it I may contact you for some pointers, once I am tryin to get it to touch, Glad your healing fast and good luck in your training and at the PRO/AM

Juggernaut
    Quote Originally Posted by rockofages View Post
    Let me ask this question rather than starting a new thread. Is it okay to buy a closed back shirt and then cut the back open rather than buying an open back shirt because of the cost. I know it sounds weird but I was really wondering if there really is a difference in the manufacturing of the two. I currently use an open back and I ordered it that way but for my new shirt I was thinking of just buying closed and cutting it open. Does this make sense at all? haha
    Makes no difference...

Juggernaut
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    Which shirt would you guys consider the better shirt. If you are sponsored by these companies please refrain from posting. I need an unbiased response. I've been using Titan products so far and have never tried the Rage X. My first shirt was an F6 and then I switched to the super katana. The super katana is a very hard shirt to stay in the groove with. I won a gift certificate at a meet a couple of weeks ago and am thinking about giving the Rage X a go if it would be any better, or easier to use. I switched from the F6 to the SK thinking I'd get more out of it but to be honest I'm not doing any better with it. Looking for advice on which shirt would be better for an intermediate bencher.
    I am sponsored by Ken Anderson/Titan, but I CAN give an unbiased reply...I was, in the past, sponsored by Inzer and used RageX's all the time. I bought an F6 while I was still with Inzer. That was the point I decided to solicit sponsorship from Titan. I liked the shirt better. I've been using Katanas & Super Katanas ever since. The material is bulletproof, the design more effective & comfortable, and the warranty is better. Bottom line is I get much more poundage from them and, after all, isn't that what we are all after?

Just a couple of things I thought I'd throw in- you can get either shirt custom made. Rage X can also come with a scooped neck and reinforced collar.
    I think if you can hit a decent number off a board and then things fall apart when you go to the chest you need to look at your form with the last few inches. You may be taking the shirt out of the support, if that makes sense.
    My journal

labore et fide