Thread: Blowing veins in my eyes.

Hybrid View

Blowing veins in my eyes.

I seem to have this issue with rupturing veins in my eyes when I squat in full gear. It's happened twice now, once 2 weeks out from the meet when I lifted in full gear, and again at the meet lifting in gear.

Any ideas on how to keep this from happening, it's annoying and doesn't look good when I'm always bloody eyed at work.

As well are there any health issues that could cause/result from this that you know of?
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    I seem to have this issue with rupturing veins in my eyes when I squat in full gear. It's happened twice now, once 2 weeks out from the meet when I lifted in full gear, and again at the meet lifting in gear.

Any ideas on how to keep this from happening, it's annoying and doesn't look good when I'm always bloody eyed at work.

As well are there any health issues that could cause/result from this that you know of?
    I'm assuming you are holding your breath for part of your squat. Lifting heavy weight plus holding your breath can vastly increase the pressure in your vascular system. The blood vessels in your eye are the smallest in the body and are usually the first to rupture with increased vascular pressure. This also increases your risk for stroke. My advice would be to inhale on the way down, and exhale on the way up, but never hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by JabbaTheHut View Post
    I'm assuming you are holding your breath for part of your squat. Lifting heavy weight plus holding your breath can vastly increase the pressure in your vascular system. The blood vessels in your eye are the smallest in the body and are usually the first to rupture with increased vascular pressure. This also increases your risk for stroke. My advice would be to inhale on the way down, and exhale on the way up, but never hold your breath.
    Holding your breath is essential for powerlifting...

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by JabbaTheHut View Post
    Valsalva maneuver. Google.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Valsalva maneuver. Google.
    So. Try this before a lift?
    Training since Dec 2008.

This is the same as holding your breath during the lift. The blown vessels in the eyes are simply a side-effect of heavy lifting, especially in gear. There's no real way to prevent this, so you have to learn to live with it. There's no real health problem with this, provided you don't have an underlying aneurysm you don't know about. Then again, if you have an aneurysm you could burst it taking a dump or opening a jar, so there's no sense in worrying about things like that. Chronic high blood pressure is a problem, but these transient increases in blood pressure don't appear to have the same health risks.

I was directing my post to jabbathehut, my advice to you would be to embrace the bloody eyes. I don't know how you could really avoid them without removing heavy squats and deads from your routine. But bloody eyes is a small price to pay to be powerful

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

yea unfortunately I don't see any way to take a breath in a suit during the decent of a squat and not be crushed by the weight.
    Training since Dec 2008.

I know a few people that always blow blood vessels in their eyes and these are the folks that hold their breath in their mouth... Video yourself... If your cheeks are puffed out during your squat you aren't doing yourself any good. Get that air down in your belly where it belongs.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I know a few people that always blow blood vessels in their eyes and these are the folks that hold their breath in their mouth... Video yourself... If your cheeks are puffed out during your squat you aren't doing yourself any good. Get that air down in your belly where it belongs.
    heh, thats funny...

thaaaaats my 3rd attempt at my meet and the most recent time I bloodied my eyes.
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    interesting, I almost always have puffy cheeks when lifting heavy. I guess i'll have to pay attn to what i'm doing for now on.......
    - If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough