The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Oh I also hit a med carb day 100%.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 12-01-2010 at 03:05 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Oh I also hit a med carb day 100%.
    Nice one mate

Close call on the injury!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Settled in yet?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yep, starting to feel a bit better although still feeling a bit tired but I'm just about there

Hit the gym for a lower body session today and I managed to keep up with last weeks numbers which was a relief considering my crappy session on Tuesday.

Went like this:

Romanian Deadlift

1 x 10 @ 100KG
    1 x 10 @ 100KG
    1 x 8 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunge

1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
    1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
    1 x 20 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG (this set was a little shaky, but got it done)

Leg Press

1 x 10 @ 175KG
    1 x 10 @ 175KG
    1 x 10 @ 175KG

Leg Curl

1 x 8 @ 77.5KG
    1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 70KG

Need to start getting some cardio in as I have been a complete slacker,

I am going to commit to doing 30 min after my upper body sessions, which along with a 1 hour met con session will give me 2 hours a week, my target.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Good session and looks like the vacation didn't harm you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Been rather quiet the last 4 or 5 days.

I got in a great upper body session last week after the leg one but then took the weekend and Mon and Tues off as I got the keys to my new house and have been busy sorting stuff out.

Back on from today though and will post a better update later today after an upper body session today, plus some news on a gym change!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Been rather quiet the last 4 or 5 days.

I got in a great upper body session last week after the leg one but then took the weekend and Mon and Tues off as I got the keys to my new house and have been busy sorting stuff out.

Back on from today though and will post a better update later today after an upper body session today, plus some news on a gym change!
    Congrats on the new place mate nice work in here

A Westside journal.

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

Moving day...awesome!
    I'd come help you move, but I don't like flying
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'll let you off then

We've already moved about 5 or 6 car loads so far - the new furniture is in, phone and broadband is all hooked up and with one big van load on Saturday we'll be in for our first night - well exciting! But its causing this week to be a bit of a write off!

Smashed the last two days on both the training and diet front.

I found myself struggling on the 3rd and 4th sets mainly because of the extra volme, plus I am just tired as hell right now. I've also dropped the weight on those last sets as I kinda slipped into letting my ego take over and as a result form slipped. So basically I really focused on form and once I hit 8 reps, I dropped the weight to keep it at 10-12.

Weds:

Medium Carb = 100%

Upper Body A:

Incline DB Press:

1 x 8 @ 28KG DBs
    1 x 7 @ 28KG DBs
    1 x 7 @ 26KG DBs
    1 x 9 @ 24KG DBs

Barbell Rows

1 x 8+2 @ 77.5KG (form a bit sloppy)
    1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 70KG

Floor Press

1 x 10 @ 65KG (form a bit sloppy)
    1 x 10 @ 60KG
    1 x 10 @ 60KG
    1 x 8 @ 60KG

Front Pull Down

1 x 10 @ 75KG
    1 x 8 @ 75KG
    1 x 8 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 65KG

Bar Roll Out

1 x 8
    1 x 8

Front Plank

1 x 45 sec
    1 x 45 sec

Thurs:

Medium Carb = 100%

Lower Body A

Romanian Deadlift

1 x 12 @ 100KG
    1 x 12 @ 100KG
    1 x 8 @ 100KG
    1 x 12 @ 95KG

Reverse Lunge

1 x 10 (10 each leg) @ 47.5KG
    1 x 14 (7 each leg) @ 47.5KG

Leg Press

1 x 10 @ 180KG
    1 x 10 @ 180KG
    1 x 10 @ 180KG
    1 x 10 @ 180KG

Leg Curl

1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 8 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 65KG

Overall I am happy with both the sessions. the Upper Body A felt like a tick over session and the Lower Body had some good PRs. Also happy I have conciously decided to pull some of the weights back so I can focus on form more. Ultimately I will progress faster like this in the long run.

Gonna struggle to get in Upper Body B and lower Body B this week as lots of moving house stuff to do and early starts and late finishes make it hard to get in the gym.. and I am feeling TIRED.

I'll be set from next week though. i signed up at a new gym thats 3 min from my house and its pretty good. Seperate free weights section with a bunch of hammer strength machines, rack, free weight bench, chin up bars and lots of Heavy DBS and the fact its so close means I should be able to definately improve on my consistency.

time for bed....

what macros are you using these days daniel? Are you still working with shelby and doing a carb rotation?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Yeah, still carb rotation. When I was with Shelby we started off using 2 x high, 2 x med and 4 x low per week and after going through about 5 stages of reducing the overall carbs/calories I ended up on mostly low carbs with a weekly refeed.

Shelby suggested I go straight back to the 2 x high, 2 x med and 4 x low and monitor how I get on. If I put on too much weight, I could drop a high and replace with a medium or the other way around if I didn't gain at all.

I can;t say I have been consistent enough to say I have been properly following this, but on the whole training days get a high or med carb and everything else is low carb. I like the carb rotation.- its easy to follow if you have everything planned out and it feels great to have high carbs on training days and cut them back on non trainning days.

It seems you put a high percentage of your effort into your nutrition...very impressive. I must remember that come March when I start to diet.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Nice work in here mate, I cant even imagine trying to track my nutrition as tightly as you and other guys do...

Great stuff mate keep at it!

A Westside journal.

Banned
    daniel, very nice work. clearly youre doing well. have you seen any visible progress?

having a gym nearby is imperative... if you have to travel to get a session in after a long day or before work it just adds to the difficulty. hows the new pad? youre moved in now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    daniel, very nice work. clearly youre doing well. have you seen any visible progress?

having a gym nearby is imperative... if you have to travel to get a session in after a long day or before work it just adds to the difficulty. hows the new pad? youre moved in now, right?
    Yeah I'm definitely looking more muscular, but also a bit fatter lol.. But overall I think I have made good strength increases and some visible progress over the last few months so I am happy. But I do need to stay more consistent on the diet front and get a couple hours of cardio done each week. Gonna be tough with Christmas but with a few scheduled off days I know I can smash the on days 100% from now on.

Yeah, the new gym literally 3 mins drive, 5 mins cycle away is gonna ROCK. I am gonna go about 3ish to train which is the perfect time for me energy/work wise and it won't feel like 3 hours out of my day anymore.

The new pad is LOVELY. I couldn't be more happy.. All of the new furniture is in and we've now spent 2 nights there. I'm currently sitting in my dining room with the imac on the new dining table and a nice hot cup of tea to the side It feels so great to have a place of our own to actually think of nice things to buy/do around the house. And the guy finished the house to a really high level of quality so we have an old house with character, yet it is very modern inside. I'll get some pics up soon

Thanks to everyone still checking in, I am gonna make sure you get some proper updates for the next few weeks

Alright, back to it!

Feeling a bit crappy in general. Not been getting much sleep as the girl is sick with a cold/flu so she has been keeping up and I think some of it is rubbing off on me.. Gotta stay strong! lol

Hit the new gym today and it felt... well.. ok.... I think it was more just the change and it's definitely more primitive than the old one. It'll do for sure though and I think some of me not feeling it was me just feeling drained and it's been a good 5-6 days since I have trained.

Kept it light (about 15% lighter than my last weeks numbers) just to get back into things and whilst I am feeling crappy.

Incline DB Press

1 x 8 @ 26KG DBS
    1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
    1 x 10 @ 24KG DBS

BB Rows

1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 10 @ 70KG
    1 x 8+2 @ 70KG

Floor Press

1 x 8 @ 60KG
    1x 8 @ 50KG
    1x 8 @ 50KG

* The Rack I was pressing in has a weird bar which forces me to stop just short of touching my chest which feels a bit weird. I'll keep at it but may switch it out for another pressing movement, maybe a strict overhead press. Thoughts?

Front Pull Down

1 x 8 @ 70KG
    1 x 8 @ 70KG
    1 x 8 @ 70KG

DONE.

Just gotta get back into the swing of things and I'll be good.

Hit a med carb day today 90%.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Good job getting back at it Daniel. I'm in the same boat as you had to keep my last workout light. It sucks but hey, we can always bounce back.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    bump. youre not allowed to skip

wtf is this ****? Where are you?

If you looked up lame in the dictionary it would have a picture of me lol

Not sure what to say really but I've had the best part of 8 weeks off and it feels and shows. I started a new job and have passed over my interests in WBB and ALN to Chris so my life has changed quite a bit! I'm enjoying the change though and it was definitely the right time of my life to make it.

Now that I am a slave to the corporate world it's much tougher for me to approach fitness in the way I did in the past so I am going to start a new, more relaxed plan from next week. HCT-12 Weds, Fri and Sat with low carb Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri and pretty much what I want on Weds and the weekend. Hopefully that should keep me from getting fat and also allow me to focus on slowly getting stronger. Key is not putting too much pressure on myself as my job is a big challenge most days I leave the house at 6am and get back about 7pm and it's mentally pretty tough.

I am really looking forward to getting back to posting and journalling without the pressure of running WBB and ALN actually so see you about soon

Banned
    good to see you about daniel, my hours are very similar to yours. its why i do this absurd AM thing. did you buy a cayman? i was going to suggest a used DB9 instead.. or a used R8 :P

It will be good to see you back posting in your journal. Sounds like the perfect oportunity to try out some ultra abreviated training mixed with conditioning.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Tim (it's Tim and not Timothy right?), I haven't got a new car yet, still bidding my time. I'm actually having a hard job finding something decent near me. I'm either looking at a 06/07 Cayman or an 04/05 m3 convertible. I think I am leaning towards the beemer as I have had one before and LOVED it and its both cheaper and more practical. Plus my house does not have off street parking so I think I would worry too much about the Cayman.

Don't think I can do that absurd AM thing I like to get into work for 6:30-7:00 so I can get a head start on the day and I couldn't imagine training at 5:30. I think hitting Weds eve and then Sat and Sunday morning/lunch will be a good balance for me. It means my week has just one evening where I have to hit the gym and I can focus on work but I have the weekend free to also smash it. We'll see

How's the training going for you? I'll swing into your journal soooooooooooooooooooon!

John, thanks man. I appreciate you popping in and appreciate your comments. You always have a well grounded bit of advice to give

So the week has started off well. I've maintained low carb both Mon and Tues and feel good for it. Today I get to hit upper body and to relax my eating so I will be going out for lunch with my Dad and probably have a nice meal with the girl tonight after training.

I haven't weighed myself in ages... scared! lol

Good to see you back. Funny really I am thinking of jumping off the corporate band wagon into self employed in the fitness world lol good luck mate!

A Westside journal.

It's cool to hear how others live in different countries. Here in the States, if you don't have a car, you don't get to do anything; like date
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal