Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

Have you had the pain diagnosed, Mr. Clough?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Good job on staying on track with low carb days. They get easier with time, don't they?
    yep, but after 4 or 5 the tiredness and fatigiue kicks in... Just gotta keep fighting and looking forward to that refeed!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Have you had the pain diagnosed, Mr. Clough?
    Yeah, the guy said it wasn;t tendonitis, but just some pain/inflamation probably caused by dong too many chin ups.

He gave me some mobility exercises to do for a bit which he reckons will clear it up. We'll see.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Weighed 172 this morning and feeling leaner. My tummy definately feels flatter right now and I am motivated to really get sub 170 now an hold it till vacation..

2 more pounds...you got this
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wednesday 30th July

Ok, before I get started with Wednesday's update, I stepped on the scales this morning (Thurs) and I weighed in at exactly 170lbs! That's a PR by a big 2lbs. Man I am happy about this, but I gotta stay REAL focused and get below it. 168 = 12 stone exactly and getting sub 12 stone has been my goal from the beginning, so 3 more lbs and thats achieved. I'm def looking tighter too, everything is going SWEET right now.

Diet was an odd one today and probably helped the weight PR.

I only had 4 of my 6 meals on my low carb day. The first 4 were 100%, but then we went to a friends house about 6pm and stayed till 10:30pm and although I refrained from eating or drinking anything that had calories in it whilst I was there, when I got home I was pretty hungry, so I had some type of raison bar which had 30 carbs in it at 10:30pm ouch, but..... I was still well under my normal calories, so I wasn't too bothered.

Training was ok too. Back off session 2, so at 60%, but got 25min of cardio in before the session and in place of pulling movents. I need to step up at hit 65min cardio today to keep an average of 45min per day which IS GOING TO HAPPEN. IF I nail today, I could well be under 170 tomorrow.

COME ON.

Banned
    nice, didnt spot the new journal. i see youre making progress in here. raisin bar at 10pm isnt going to affect anything.. your overall daily and weekly calorie intake average are much, much more important. keep at it man

Cheers buddy.

Its 12:38pm right now and I'm hungry as hell. Can't wait till my next meal just for that table spoon of peanut butter ha ha. Then it's 60 min cardio

Thursday July 1st

Well I smashed another 60 min cardio today:

stationary cycle - 10 min
    cross-trainer 20 min
    skipping/punchbag 20 min
    cross-trainer 10 min

And low carb has been 100%.

Gonna be interesting to see what the weight is tomorrow morning!

oh my - 168.8 this morning.

Banned
    nice dude. hows the mirror looking?

Yeah, good. I definately look the leanest I have been - tummy is flater and abs are more defined upon tensing. I figure getting to 165 or so and they will show at relaxed!

My back is also showing as more defined too.

Can't wait to see what 3-4 more lbs lighter looks like.

Looks like that brief vacation from the cutting got your engine fired back up.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yep, seems so!

Just spoke to Shelby too and I think he is gonna give me a high carb on Sunday seeing as I am dropping fast - I need it psychologically at least to keep me going. I feel totally energyless right now - low calories, low carb, 45 min cardio days on the trot kill me.

I took a pic of me at the gym this morning @ 168lsbs - crappy quality (taken with phone) but I figured I would finally post something so you guys can see where I am at.

I'm obviously happy I am no longer fat But at the same time it is a stark reminder that I am lacking in the lean muscle department. For example I must be like 11% now and I am only just showing 4 abs and thats mainly because I do not have much abdomnial muscle - you cannot show whats not there!

I SO cannot wait till the first week of September where I have 8 months of lean gain ahead of me and if I apply the same level of determination that I have done the last month to those 8 months I should start to feel a bit better about how I look and my strength levels.

Well, here you go:

And here is a pic from Nov 2009. (I guess I am around 200 here, about 15lbs down from my heaviest ever (215).

And another pic of me looking a bit puffy - this must have been about July 2009 - 215lbs.

Friday July 2nd

Today was pretty good. Kinda off the wal in respect to my diet, but in the grand scheme of things still good.

I knew I was going round to a friends in the evening for a BBQ, so I went with a fasting strategy to deal with it.

I didn't hit the gym at 10:00am on an empty stomach and did:

cross trainer - 20 min
    stationary cycle - 10 min
    cross trainer - 10 min
    TOTAL - 40min

I drank a BCAA drink through my workout.

Then i went to meet a friend for lunch and whilst watching him drink two beers, have a chicken wrap and fries, I drank diet cokes. urgh.

Then off to the private facility where I did a bit of a half asses workout, but you gotta understand I was feeling very low on energy due to the fast and cardio. Plus it's still a back off week

Row - 5 min
    Front Squat - 4 x 12 @ 40KG
    Elbow mobility - 5 min
    Elevated Single Leg Squat - 3 x 10 @ 5KG DBs
    Floor Press - 1 x 10 @ 50KG, 2 x 10 @ 40KG
    DB Curls - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KGs, Hanging leg raises x 8
    DB Curls - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KGs, Hanging leg raises x 8

DONE.

Again, drinking a BCAA drink through my workout.

When i got home I had 100 Greek yoghurt, about 120 calories.

A walk of the dog then off to my friends with 2 gym sessions under my belt, and just 120 calories + 2 x BCAA drinks consumed.

I had 3 glasses of red wine, a burger with a bun, a chicken drum stick, a piece of halumi and a sausage. Then some chocolate Torte and Cream for desert... hmmm.

I would guess it was about 2,000 calories overall, so a bit over but considering the activity, low weight the last couple of days and the fasting, I'm happy.

This morning (Sat) I weighed 168.2 and I am sitting here typing this after 60 min tough fasted cardio.

I cannot WAIT till my high carb day on Sunday. I think I will go to the coast with Ella and the dog and have some fish and chips

When I got home

Banned
    looking very lean man. enjoy that high carb day... and by fish and chips, you mean fish and freedom fries, right? haha

LuNa
    Amazing work Daniel. Congrats on the weight PR, that is brilliant. Keep it up! Im really looking forward to your lean bulk towards summer 2011.

Inspirational Daniel.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

f=ma - ha ha yeah fries, we call them chips. They were lovely

Cheers Rv, I cannot wait to get my lean bulk on.

OffRoad - thanks buddy.

Ok, as per usual, a planned cheat day turned into an extravaganza lol. We ended up staying over on Sunday night so Monday was a write off too and Tuesday was better but not on the plan - no training for the 3 days.

Weight is at 174.

Strangely enough I am not that bothered. Quite frankly I don't see much benefit than being lighter than 168 for my vacation on the 24th, it just doesn't serve any purpose at this point. As long as I can board the plane weighing 168, I have achieved my original goal and I can go on vacation happy and with the knowledge I am not fat and know how to diet successfully, something that has not been the case for the last 10 years.

The plan is now to string 10 days low carb, 45 mins cardio together which should see me easily at 168 and it'll be the 17th July. I have a bachelors party evening that night, so I will then take the Sat and Sun off and then another 3-4 low carb days to bring me into the 24th (vacation time).

So the hard work starts again today, man I hate cardio and low carb. Was lovely to eat fish and chips and not do the cardio, but I don't want to return to my old self so I better get cracking.

Oh I meant to say, the Get Real article, even though I read it months ago, really resonated with me yesterday.

I often look in the mirror and get mad that I do not look big and ripped. I just look skinny with a small amount of muscle (perhaps more than the average person) and not fat. Kinda sucks, but I have to keep that perspective. For the last 10 years on the run I have made several attempts to reduce my bodyfat, each one failing miserable. I've literally been on a main vacation at least 20 times during that period and been very pissed off about my inability to get lean.

This year, it happened. I am officially not fat. And thats a big thing for me.

Ok, I do not have much lean muscle and I could be leaner, but I am weighing 168 which considering I have been over 200 for about 10 years is pretty darn good. And more important than the achievement itself, I feel I have finally overcome my battle with food - I know what plan needs to be executed to get lean and I have the confidence that I can put it into practice and get the results which is pretty powerfull when you have failed to lose weight for most of your adult life.

The whole being big and lean thing has to be a five year goal if I am realistic. I need to put in a solid 3-4 years of 9 months lean bulk, 3 months cut. 3 years of trainnig hard, dieting consistently with that plan and I know I can come in around the 180 mark at sub 10% which would be FANTASTIC.

Just gotta keep the bigger picture in mind, stop comparing myself to others and get to work!

Sounds like you have a great plan and realistic expectations. Oh, BTW, you are far, far, far from fat now. So, just get that out of your head mister
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I SO cannot wait till the first week of September where I have 8 months of lean gain ahead of me and if I apply the same level of determination that I have done the last month to those 8 months I should start to feel a bit better about how I look and my strength levels.
    I am sure your dedication will transfer over quite nicely Daniel! I cant wait to see the next chapter of your journey.

Cheers guys!

Ok, back on the grind - a quick update for today/yesterday and then I will get back to better updates!

Yesterday (Weds 7th) I nailed a low carb 100%, but didn't get in the gym. Just had a crappy day and lamed out which is rubbish behaviour.

Today (Thursday) another low carb 100%, but this time I got in and did 60min cardio (20 cycle intervals, 20 skip/bag and 20 crosstrainer). Felt great to smas that cardio, need to get some momentum together now so I can definately board that plan at 168 or below.

Just checked in for the first time in a while, should have done it sooner.

Nice to finally see some pics in here bud! Good to see that diet appears to be coming along well. I'll have to work real hard to make sure you don't catch up to me when you do start to pack on the beef haha.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.