Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

Friday 9th July

ooooh, 4th day on track

Low Carb day nicely done and I smashed 50 mins cardio (20min cross trainer, 20min skip/box, 10 min cycle)

Weighed 170 this morning (Sat)

If I can hold this down all weekend and nail an hour cardio each day I should be weighing 168 again Mon morning then all I have to do is maintain that bad boy through to the 24th.

Some hurdles along the way include a bachelor party day/evening (Sat 17th) and also a trip to the coast with the girl (Mon 17th/Tues 18th). IF everything is perfect around these events and I up cardio around them I know I will be 168 for the 24th.... Bring it on!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Banned
    looking solid man, im glad the consistency is tying in

know what the worst part about dieting down is? allowing yourself to fatten back up again. ugh lol

heh, yeah I can imagine..... although because I am weak and lacking in lean muscle, I'm just gonna put those thoughts aside and just purely focus on getting stronger, packing on muscle and not getting too crazy so I get fat again

The weekend was here or there. I didn't count calories (this HAS to change when I go on a lean bulk or I am going to get fat) but through holding out on eating till later in the day it limitied damage.

Weighing in at 171 this morning, so some SERIOUS work to do this week....

Mon - Fri are going to be low carb, lower calories and a min of 60 min cardio per day to get back to 168 or even below. I def need to be hitting the weekend at no more than 168 or the whole boarding the plan at 168 or below just ain;t gonna happen.

Feeling good about it though, just gotta get it done. Just 12 days till my vacation now - I CANNOT WAIT.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

LuNa
    Sounding good Daniel, that 168 is yours!

Maybe..............

Monday 12th July

Worst day ever so I am going to keep it short as to not annoy you and myself lol.

Diet = 100% low carb, that was about the only good thing that happened.

Went to gym but started havnig pains in my chest (think it was indigestion) so I couldn't work out. LAME.

Got home and realised I had left my Iphone4 at the post office. GONE. Had to bar the phone and sim card and I have no insurance. RUBBISH.

So no phone, no gym and I was in a MEGA mood.

Seem to have snapped out of it today and am gonna pull a monster cardio session to get myself back on track.

That sucks about the phone. Anyway, I wish you luck on the 168 lbs. Get it so you can enjoy your vacation.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Tuesday 13th July

Diet was really good today - I strayed a bit from the macros but calories were nice and low as were carbs.

60 min cardio:

crosstrainer - 20min
    skipping and punch bag - 30min
    bike - 5min
    crosstrainer - 5min

Still weighing 171, things should drop soooooooon though.

waterload mate! then dehydrate just to get cut up for the holiday haha.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

lol, silly boy...

Weds 14th July

I absolutely smashed through things and had a great day.

AM - 45min steady state (10m cross trainer, 25min skip/bag & 10m bike)

PM - Weights - Hip Thrusts, elbow rehab, deadlifts, DB bench, lateral raises & sit ups. (can;t be bothered to write out the weights, just going through the motions really given the low calories and cardio).

Weighing in at 170 right now.

Whoop, whoop.

I cannot wait till I start my leab bulk still, updates may actually be half interesting at that point

LuNa
    Impressive cardio sessions Daniel. Good that you got out of your mood and got back at it twice as hard.

So been super slack with the updates.

The weekend was a bachelors party and Mon/Tues was spent at the coast with my girl. So not a lot of exercise (none) and food was pretty bad.

I am weighing 172 right now (4lbs over the 168 I wanted to be) so I have 3 days to end on a high - Weds, Thurs and Fri.

All of them are going to be low calorie, low carb and training WILL look like this:

Weds

AM - 30min intervals/complexes, 30 min steady state
    PM - Weights

Thurs

PM - 30 min steady state & swim

Fri

PM - Weights

I fully appreciate I am giving the worst updates ever lol.

I'm crazy busy trying to wrap up all work stuff before I go, but I am still putting in the effort gym wise and as described above.

One change though, I am gonna carb up today and hit the weights - probably help me fill out a bit and hey I just feel like it lol. I am weighing 170 right now, thats good enough for me.

Man, I cannot wait to spend a week eating, soaking up the soon and swimming!

I worked on my lean gain plan yesterday for when I return and here it is... Appreciate any feedback!

• Mon - Weights - Total Body (High Carb)
    • Tues Steady State - 40min (Low Carb)
    • Weds - Weights - Total Body (Med Carb)
    • Thurs - Steady State - 40min (Low Carb)
    • Fri - Weights - Total Body (High Carb)
    • Sat - HIIT - 20min (Low Carb)
    • Sun - OFF (Low Carb)

The aim will be to do all of the cardio fasted and in the morning - that way I know its done and don't have to worry about it.

The total body training will be real straight forward - big compounds and in the 8-12 rep range. I just need to get stronger on the big exercises, period.

I would love to hit HCT-12, but I am training with my PT at his private facility so feel obliged to train with what he lays out as he is cutting me a GREAT deal.

But for example one of the sessions looks like this:

• Romanian Deadlift
    • Bench
    • Pull Ups
    • Rows
    • Curls and Abs super setted

So, nice and simple.

Mobility will also be a big focus (A good 20 min before each weights sessions).

So good consistency on the diet, a focus on form and steady progression and things should work out well.

Man I cannot WAIT.

I like the plan...simple is best.

Wev expect a great vacation update when you get back!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Sounds like a good plan! Hope you have an amazing holiday, Daniel.

Well I am back and had a blast.

Italy was truly awesome - pretty decent weather other than a rainy day or two, 5 star luxury villa, lots of good ole italian food, plenty of red wine and a whole load of not moving around a lot

Having said that I am also glad to be back and raring to start on the lean gain plan.

I weighed myself tonight and I was 175 which is not bad at all. I definately look fatter though and feel sluggish so I cannot wait to get back into the swing of training and eating right.

When I look back on the last 15 months of dieting, I lost close to 50lbs and was probably consistent about 50% overall which is obviously pretty crappy. Basically 4-7 days on, but then 2-3 days off and when I went off, I went OFF. So it took much longer than it needed too.....

Now that I have 2 high carb and 2 med carb days a week, I am hoping it will be easier to be consistent and I KNOW this is the number one thing that will get me the physique I want. I KNOW how to train and I KNOW how to eat, the plan is the easy bit. It's all now about executing the plan to a good level of consistency.

I've mapped out all of my high, med and low carb days and I am going to go shopping tomorrow (Sunday) and get everything I need and cook up 3 days worth of food to get me started on Monday.

Here is my shopping list!

Quaker Oats
    Low Fat yoghurt
    Granola Bars
    Rice Cakes
    Apples
    Bananas
    Chicken Breasts
    Sirloin Steaks
    Shredded Wheat
    Weetabix
    Rice
    Sweet Potatoes
    Fresh Vegetables
    Coke Zero

My ONLY goals for the next 6 months are to be consistent to the training and diet plan 90%+, so BRING IT ON.

I'm glad your vacation lived up to your expectations. A 5 lb gain, sounds like a good indicator of having a good time

Good luck on your new quest, we'll be watching...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Cheers buddy - it makes such a difference knowing I have a few peeps watching what I am doing - the advice and accountability is invaluable.

Today was a very good start to the plan. Diet is going to end up being 100% for sure and it was good to get back into the gym and lift.

High carb today was SO awesome. It feels great to eat a reasonable amount of carbs again and it felt like I ate a lot of food and I felt energized for my workout.

Here is what the high carb looked like:

Meal 1
    60g x Quaker Oats
    200ml half fat milk
    0.5 x Granola Bar
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

Meal 2
    1 x Apple
    Novus Protein bar

Meal 3
    Chicken Breast (100g)
    Rice (125g) + 2 x Rice Cakes
    1 cup Veg

Meal 4 (Pre workout)
    1 x Granola Bar
    1x Oat Cake
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)
    40 carbs, 27g protein

Meal 5 (Post Workout)
    1 serving Opticen (mixed in water)
    1 x Banana
    62 carbs, 40g protein

Meal 6
    1 scoop of Nitrean (mixed with water)
    1 x Crunchy Granola Bar (Nature Valley)
    1 / 2 apple

Meal 7
    Chicken Breast (100g)
    1 Cup Veg
    5 g fish oils

I am eating my pre and post workout meals earlier in the day now as I have switched my training to 2pm as it's easier for my training partner and it makes little difference to me - to be honest I prefer it as when iot gets to about 4pm I am starting to feel drained from work so this way I will be fresher.

As for training in general - I am starting light, being REAL patient with progression and focusing on form.

Todays session went like this:

Romanian Deadlifts - 3 x 10 @ 70KG
    Back & Elbow mobility - 5 mins (whilst my training partner did chin ups)
    Push Press - 1 x 10 @ 17.5KG Db's, 1 x 10, 1 x 9 @ 20KG DB's
    Single Leg Elevated Squats - 3 x 10 @ 7.5KG DB's
    Barbell Roll Outs - 3 x 8, 6, 5

I am super gutted I am still getting quite a lot of pain in my left elbow - this has been going on for months now so I am gonna get real focused on the rehab. I have daily exercises to do, have to lay off all pulling movements and am gonna ram down fish oil caps, ETS and Iboprofen till it clears up. I cannot wait to get back to pull ups and rows.

Thats about it.

Pretty slow day work wise - just bee catching up on all my emails and trying to work out what I gotta get done this week. Nearly done though!

Low carb + 40 min steady state tomorrow - urrghh.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 08-02-2010 at 10:57 AM.

glad to see ya back in the swing of things Daniel!! Lookin forward to watchin it as it rolls out.

Thanks buddy!

Not much to write home about yesterday, I just did what I had to do

It was a low carb day and I hit everything as planned, so thats 2 x 100% days on the run now - whoop, whoop.

Low carb looked like this in case anyone is interested:

Meal 1
    30g x Quaker Oat Packs
    200ml half fat milk
    1.5 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
    3g fish oils

Meal 2
    100g Low Fat Greek yogurt
    1 x Granola Bar
    1.5 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
    3g fish oils

Meal 3
    Chicken Breast (150g)
    Up to 2 cups Veg
    1.5 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

Meal 4
    Chicken Breast (150g)
    Up to 2 cups Veg

Meal 5
    2 scoops of Nitrean (mixed with water)

Meal 6
    Chicken Breast (150g)
    Up to 2 cups Veg
    5g fish oil

I had no troubles sticking to the plan, partly because its not as low carb as I was used to (twice as many) and also I know I have another medium and high carb day coming along real soon. Plus those tablespoons of peanut butter make it all worthwhile lol.

As for training, I got in and did my cardio but goddamn it kicked my ass. I was planning to do 45min, but only did 30 min as it was kicking my ass and my legs were super sore from split squats on Monday.

In fact I am sore all over and I felt like I hardly did anything. I can feel my shoulders sore from push press, legs are sore as hell from split squats and traps and ham strings super sore from romanian deadlifts and my abs.... man they are so sore I find it hard to sit up from lying down - all from 3 pussy sets at bar roll outs!

All good though, I love the feeling

Lastly, my weight is wierdly staying VERY low.This morning I was 169lbs How is that even possible lol? I was 172 when I boarded the plane for vacation and since then I have eaten tons and not worked out for like 10 days and my weight stayed the same and then went down 2 days back onto the program. Not moaning, I am hoping it is a sign that my metablism is better. I was always told it would be easier to maintain a weight than get there and this is SO true. I remember a time it didn't even feel like my body could go under 180lbs, now it feels the other way around lol.

What else....

Today is gonna be a bit tricky from a diet perspective. I am meeting a friend for breakfast and another for lunch, so I am not going to stick to the traditional meal plan and just make sure I hit may calories/macros which should be easy with sensible food choices. It's a medium carb day so I have a bit of flexibility too.

Work has been going good this week. Some really good articles been coming in lately and I am excited to publish them all which is always a good sign! Been cracking away at the new AtLarge Nutrition site too and it's coming along nicely. It's a pretty complex project actually seeing as we are moving from one site to another (would be much easier if it were a new start-up) because you run into all types of data import/functionality issues, not helped by the fact that the ecommerce software is different. Soon I will be able to show you guys some screenshots for some feedback!

Aight, thats it for now, I have rambled enough

Not a bad day yesterday, although my diet went out the window.. Well... not out the window, but it wasn;t 100%.

I knew the day was going to be insanely hectic as I had 101 things to do, plus I was invited round a friends to eat... So, I didn't stick to the normal meal plans and just planned an unusual day which roughly hit my numbers.

And here it is - http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...&Month=7&Day=4

Now that would have been ok, but I ended up going into town with a friend after the dinner and had another 2 glasses of red and 2 caipirinha cocktails which probably stuck another 800 calories onto that. urggh...

It is what it is, but I have ot be careful not to get too lax about things or the lean bulk is going to turn into a bulk! It's a low carb/cardio day today, so I will eat a little less and also stick some extra intervals in to make up for it which should hopefully balance things out a little.

Anyway........ I did train and whilst I enjoyed the workout, the intensity and volume is definately not where it needs to be for 2 reasons - I am getting back into things and taking it slowly and also I still cannot do any pulling movements. But, I'm being patient and focusing hard on the things I can do for now.

Bench Press -3 x 10 @ 50KG (I am going to kill myself if my bench doesn't get to a respectable level soon)
    Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 70KG
    Elbow rehab (in place or rows)
    Single Leg Squat to box - 3 x 10 @ BW (this needs to turn into reverse lunge once I have got my foot sorted)
    Lying Leg Raises - 2 x 10

This would be an awesome workout if I could do everything - bench, dead, row and lunge.. nice!

Ok, thats it... Better make today COUNT!

I think the hardest part about dieting is the fear of getting smaller and weaker. I'll bet that the hardest part of gaining is the fear of just adding fat and not muscle. How do you deal with those mind games? I know that I've completely derailed my diet in the last few months because some of my lifts declined, so I started eating like I was on a gain again. Back to square one...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I think the number one take home lesson I have learned in the last 5 years is have one clear goal and then be determined about doing whatever it takes to reach that goal and let go of the other goals you have until you reach it.

Decide to either focus on putting on lean muscle mass or to lose body fat and relentlessly pursue that goal. The worst thing you can do is try and do both or keep chopping and changing in my opinion.

Whilst I want to lean bulk, I am dertmined to put on muscle mass and get stronger through to March/April 2010 and I am not gonna beat myself up if I see myself getting a little less lean as a result.

I wannabebig!
    good point.

I have to remind myself every day what my goal is to make sure I stick with it. Before I would go back and forth between I'm getting small and weak to I'm putting on too much fat.

Nothing to write home about on Thursday. I should have got in 45min cardio, but I didn't make it in the gym - I just felt a bit exhausted and stressed so ended up skipping it.

My diet on Thursday was spot on though - low carb.

Friday was better. High carb day 100% and training went well too - still very light, but I am looking forward to really scaling up the weights in the next few weeks.

Front Squat - 3 x 10 @ 62.5KG
    Incline DB Press - 3 x 8 @ 20KG DBS
    Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8 @ BW (replacement for pulling movement)
    Bar Thrusts - 3 x 10 @ 70KG
    Renegade Row - 3 x 8 @ BW (lol, keeping my shape properly here was a nightmare)

Overall I am worried about eating to gain weight and the low volume and intensity of my workouts. (I don't want to gain too much fat)

The low volume is really because this is week 1 of a 4 week cycle (lowest volume of the 4 weeks) and also I am having to miss pulling movements.. But, this will change over the next few weeks.

And the intensity is because I am starting light and going to really focus on form and moving up patiently, so in about 6-8 weeks, the intensity should be much better as the weights move up.

Overall a good first week though.

I am gonna nail 30min HIIT and 30min steady state today which will put my cardio at 1:30 this week - 30 min short which I will ensure doesn't happen next week.

This weekend, I am going to stray from the diet as I have my brothers wedding today... So I am just going to eat nothing before I go (3pm) which will limit any damage done from eating the wedding food and having a few drinks. Sunday will be on track though.

Dannyboy it looks like you're handing the bulk far better than the cut, your consistency seems quite good. You're a changed man!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.