Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    good point.

I have to remind myself every day what my goal is to make sure I stick with it. Before I would go back and forth between I'm getting small and weak to I'm putting on too much fat.
    this is exactly what im struggling with right now. waffling..

daniel, you are on the right track. bulking is the fun part... the only challenge is controlling the weight gain rate lol. as long as the intake is good and the workouts are consistent, you will surely meet your goal just in time to diet back down for the next leg. ideally, as youre carb cycling, you will have very little dieting to do.

f=ma, I am appreciating how hard it is trust me. I slipped up at the weekend (my bros wedding on sat and eating whatever I wanted rolled into Sunday).

And I only did an hour of cardio for the week, should have been 2 hours.

Need to work on the consistency and diet for this week. Right now it's not disasterous, but 3 or 4 weeks like last week and I will see the lbs piling back on.

My Results arrived on Friday, so I will be starting that from today, so I am looking forward to seeing some nice strength gains from it.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

[scolding] Get back on that horse. [/scolding]
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Spoke to Shelby today and he asked me to take out a high carb day and replace it with a medium carb day because last week wasn't on track and to really focus on being 100% this week.

The gym today was better from an intensity point of view as we upped the volume this week to 4 sets of everything and it was hard, hard, hard.

Romanian Deadlift - 4 x 10 @ 70KG
    Single Leg Step up and squat down (using a box) - 4 x 10 @ 5KG DB'S
    Push Press - 2 x 10, 2 x 8 @ 20KG DB'S
    Single Leg Elevated Squat - 4 x 10 @ 7.5KG DB's
    Barbell Roll Out - 4 x 6 @ BW

As for diet, I strayed from the food choices I had planned, but everything was hit and everything was clean.

So, all good.

Tomorrow will be a bit of a test. I have a funeral to go to, so I am going to hit the gym super early and get my cardio in and also stray from the normal food choices/timings in order to hit my numbers whilst being out for most of the afternoon. I'll manage it though, I really want to make this week a good one.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Properly back on the horse

Today was always gonna be a big test on both the training and diet front. I had a funeral to go to which was gonna take up most of the afternoon, so I kinda went custom on the meal plan and relied heavily on supplements to just about hit my totals - I was just a bit short on protein and then overall calories.

Meal 1 - Novus bar + 3 eggs
    Meal 2 - 3 X Nitrean + 3 tablespoons P/B + 5 fish oil
    Meal 3 - 0.5 Results + 2 tablespoons P/B + 5 fish oil
    Meal 4 - Novus bar + 5 fish oil
    Meal 5 - 150g Chicken + 3 cups veg

As for training, I skipped it in the morning which would have been the sensible time to get it done. I got so pissed off with myself for doing that, I made it in for the evening and did 35 mins medium cardio.

Decent day, gonna get a good weights session in tomorrow, prob 20 mins cardio and 100% diet.

Tomorrow is also gonna be a bit of an odd day - I have the dentist at 10:30 and I have to have a filling which means an injection and a numb feeling mouth (I am **** scared lol, I hate needles)

I kinda have a thing about going to the dentists with a clean mouth, so I don't want to eat before I go...

I am determined to hit the weights though, get in 20 min of cardio and make sure my diet is 100%. So, I am gonna cut the meals back to 3 meals tomorrow (group 2 meals into each meal), and follow an IF type approach - a big pre workout, post workout and then evening meal.

It'll look like this (numbers match my medium carb day)

1pm (Pre Workout)

1 x Results
    4 x Nitrean
    1.5 shredded wheat
    100ml s/s milk

3.30pm (Post Workout)

1 serving x Opticen (mixed in water)
    1/2 x Banana
    Chicken Breast (150g)
    1 cup Veg
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
    3g fish oils

6pm (Evening Meal)

90g protein (probably a mix of chicken and nitrean)
    2 cups veg
    8 g fish oils
    1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

Good stuff getting back on track mate
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Banned
    I HATE needles, so I feel you pain. I had a few bad reactions to vaccinations when I was young. I remember throwing up everywhere and then fainting and it's always stayed with me.

When I was having unprecedented problems with insomnia last month my doctor wanted me to get a blood test and just the thought of it made me flinch. I persuaded her not to bother and wait to see if it worked itself out and luckily it did. It's my only phobia, no fear of heights, spiders, flying, nothing... but I'm really scared of needles. Embarrassing really. My doctor even recommended I go to the bloodwork people and get them to show me the equipment and talk me through it all. Apparently they do run-through sessions for people who are scared lol. It's my fear that one day I'll have to give a blood sample or something and just won't be able to do it and freak out, so maybe she's got a point...

JC, I am the same... I have nearly fainted at the dentists before and the assistant had to get me a glass of glucose as if I was a small child ha ha.

Not just needles for me, I tend to have problems with health related stuff in general. I hate doctors and hospitals. It;s not unusual for me to get real hot and feel like fainting just sitting in the doctors waiting room!

I'll get through it though. I just had a close family friend die and also someone else I know have all sorts of health problems. I really should not be moaning about a small injection for a filling!

Banned
    zero cavity club right here!!

bastard!

It wasn;t fun at all - an injection in my top and lower gum and 20 mins of drilling and poking about and then a numb face through till about 4pm lol..

But, the good news. I got my ass in and trained and felt great, even though the numbers were looooooooooow. Just gotta be patient.

Looked like this:

Bench - 50KG - 2 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 8
    Deadlift - 70KG - 4 x 8
    Overhead Squat - 4 x 8 @ 10KG bar
    Reverse lunges - 4 x 8 (each side) @ 15KG
    Lying Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 3 x 12 @ BW

My foot rehab has been going well, so managed to do reverse lunges today. Hurt my foot a little but not enough to stop me doing it.

Overhead squat is in place of rows - elbow is still hurting which SUCKS.

As for diet, I really wasn;t able to eat as planned because my face was literally numb through till 4pm ish.

So I ended up switching it up. And the best thing is because its even less meals I had a ton of calories to consume in the evening, so I am gonna eat out with the girl. We're gonna go to a Japanese restaurant, see below

4pm - Post Workout

1 serving x Opticen (mixed in water)
    1 x Novus Protein Bar
    0.5 x Results

7pm - Evening Meal:

1 x Breast Duck
    2 cups rice (steamed)
    3 x Chicken Wings
    2 x Pork Ribs

Before Bed

5 x Nitrean

Gotta love Fitday for keeping you on track when you stray from the normal meal plan - http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...Month=7&Day=11

Over head squats are effin hard...good on you for doing them..especially after the oral surgery.

@borracho - Yep, the overhead squats were pretty tough.. I was only doing them with a 10KG bar too The weight didn't feel heavy over my head, but keeping the bar over my head and not having it come forward and maintaining my overall shape as I squatted down was the toughest thing which comes down to my overall core strength... I can't wait to move to a proper olympic bar and load up ain time

Yesterday was a good on track day. Again, I got a bit creative on the diet front because I had a lunch scheduled with a designer to discuss the label for our new BCAA supplement and I had to fit in that with a low carb day. So I decided to fast the morning, have steak and fries for lunch, then 4 x nitrean + 3 tablespoons of peanut butter about mid afternoon and then for my evening meal I had 2 chicken breasts, veg and 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter and 5 fish oil which pretty much is my 6 meals condensed into 3 again.

Even though I hit my numbers and macros, I still feel a bit guilty, so I am looking forward to having a 100%medium carb day today as planned with my 6 meals - super clean.

I also got my ass in the gym and nailed 35 mins cardio yesterday and went at it pretty hard.

Stationary Bike - 10 min (5 x 30 sec intervals with 90 sec steady state inbetween).
    Cross Trainer - 10 min
    Skipping - 10min
    Cross Trainer - 5 min

At the moment I'm really focusing on working hard on the steady state rather than just going through the motions - I only do 2 hours a week so gotta make it count.

So far I am at 1:10 this week for cardio.. I am gonna fit in 30 min this evening which will take it to 1:40 and then tomorrow I will do 30 min HIIT and a bit of steady state after to come in about 2:20 which will be SPOT ON.

I also encouraged my girlfriend to join the same same gym I do cardio at so this will definately help me get all my cardio done each week as she'll want to go a few times a week and it will be a good thing for us to do together..

What else...

I picked up a book the other day which is not something I would normally read and am properly getting into it, It's called If This Is a Man / The Truce. Basically an account of a guys experience being captured and spending time in a concentration camp and also his experience of surviving and life afterwards. I hadn't much knowledge of this and it's just so messed up how people could have been subjected to this - it's not even possible to put into words - I definately recommend it as a read.

Lastly, this is my new tune for the gym - YOUNG MONEY!

Video

Banned
    yeah i have heard the OHS is tough. i have never tried it.. probably wont either lol

and what happened to your foot/elbow? i dont remember reading about that..

Overhead squats mess with your head. How can something so light cause so much difficultty? Tough exercise. Good for you for giving it a try. Remember to visualize pulling the bar apart as you lower yourself.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

f=ma - my left foot really hurts on the ball of the foot and it's always stopped me doing stuff like lunges as it has minimal flexibility and causes me a lot of pain... I am slowly pushing it to be more flexible though and I am now able to do lunges with just a small bit of pain which is better than not being able to do them at all

My elbow is the frigging killer and it's really getting me down right now as I am unable to do ANY pulling movements. Tightnesss in my elbow and pain when curling/rowing etc. I was stupid and worked thorugh this when it first came up so I think I just have to be patient but it's been 2 months off pulling movements now and it still hurts so I am getting a bit worried. Admittedly I have not been very good with my rehab, so I am 3 x a day without fail now and we'll see how things shape up in the next few weeks.

As for overhead squats - ideally I wouldn;t do them as I just want to get on and train for show, but it is what it is and it's a filler exercise for pulling movements. Damn hard though as OR said!

As you guys will have noticed, I have been a bit quiet lately. I've been REALLY struggling at the moment. I felt ill over the weekend hence no training and to be honest I have just been feeling low about everything - training, life in general, work etc. I'm really focusing on breaking through it because I have a lot of good things going on I just felt real low for a few days.

I've been going through a 'I'm ****ing weak and hate it' phase. Had a good chat with Fran (FAngel from the forums) over dinner last night and he reminded me that I have to see this as a starting point. I lost the weight and yeah I am weak as **** but it's like a new start and I have to just remember what I achieved in the last year and a half and just remain focused and the gains will come. I knew this of course, but it was good to hear it.

I just gotta get this elbow thing fixed, focus on getting stronger and keep my diet in check and things will go well.

I am a bit worried that my routine is a little too strength focused if my main goals are hypertrophy, but at the end of the day it isn;t going to do me any harm building some foundations with strength in compound movements and then I can switch to HCT-12 or DC after that.

So, the next 4 months I have to be real focused - the plan is there I just gotta goddamn follow it and keep my head up.

Ok, enough of me whining. Yesterday was high carb day and my only slip was some dinner with Fran but I had some carbs and protein saved up so even though I went over calories, it wasn't that bad at all.

Training session went like this:

Bench Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 57.5KG
    Deadlift - 3 x 6 @ 80KG
    Reverse Lunge - 3 x 12 (6 each side) @ 30KG
    Overhead Squat (replacement for pulling movement) 3 x 8 @ 15KG
    Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 2 x 8 @ 2.5KG

Today is 45 min cardio and low carb day which is gonna get NAILED.

Me an the girl talked a lot over the weekend and we decided we may just buy a house. We currently rent through a govt scheme so the area is rubbish and it's a 1 bed flat so it always feels messy as its just so small... Be nice to have a bigger place with a garden... Just looking into mortgages right now and whats possible to borrow and also what type of houses are about at the moment, so you never know......

Better updates from this this week from now on I promise

Banned
    training for hypertrophy is unreasonably difficult to measure imo.

gain 30lbs on a 5RM lift with adequate cals and i guarantee there will be some lean mass gain in there. I believe ive said this exact phrase before... but training the muscle and not the movement sounds great, but how do you measure that if not by strength? sadly we're not all acress lol

I agree with f=ma completely. Time to just focus on the weight you put on the bar. Start looking for those PRs and you'll be feeling great in no time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yep, I agree with you guys - I just need to focus on building up a respectable foundation of strength over the next 6 months...

Yesterday was pretty good. Low carb was 100% which felt great and I dragged my ass in to do some cardio:

• Stationary Cycle - 15 mins (intervals)
    • Crosstrainer - 10 mins
    • Uphill Walking/light running - 10 mins
    • Skipping/Bag work - 10 mins

Weight is still 171lbs (including a few slips), so I reckon Shelby has to be giving me some more calories soon

Looking forward to today - high carb + front squats so I am gonna really go for a decent effort on them.

Lastly, loving this tune at the moment - already on the ipod for Sat's cardio session!

Video

Banned
    looking good bro. front squats are killer. exercise thats so hard i pass on entirely hah. i cant get into rap. i liked trance and EDM type stuff for cardio personally

and I like Punk Rock for all of life's activities.
    Good luck with the front squats today.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Me an the girl talked a lot over the weekend and we decided we may just buy a house. We currently rent through a govt scheme so the area is rubbish and it's a 1 bed flat so it always feels messy as its just so small... Be nice to have a bigger place with a garden... Just looking into mortgages right now and whats possible to borrow and also what type of houses are about at the moment, so you never know......
    Thats awesome man...I am in the same boat sorta. I dont want to waste any more money on renting and with the interest rates as low as they are currently..it seems now would be the time to buy if you can. GL on the search!

As for the elbow...is there anything that has seemed to help it? Ice/heat?

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    training for hypertrophy is unreasonably difficult to measure imo.

gain 30lbs on a 5RM lift with adequate cals and i guarantee there will be some lean mass gain in there. I believe ive said this exact phrase before... but training the muscle and not the movement sounds great, but how do you measure that if not by strength? sadly we're not all acress lol
    That is great advice which i completely agree with. Working the muscle may work for some people or on some lifts, but nothing beats adding 50 pounds to your squat/dead/bench.

Nice work Daniel. Good job on the OHS and the Front squats. Im sure that by the time cutting comes around, you will look different already. Keep up the good work!

Cheers for the advice fellas, I was really happy with how last went. I put weight on the bar for each lift and it was comfortable. My diet was 90% and I got my cardio in too!

Ok, so Fridays session went like this:

• Front Squats - 3 x 6 @ 70KG (I am 99.9% sure it was 70KG, I have it written down at the gym though)
    • Incline DB Press - 3 x 6 @ 22.5KG DBS
    • Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 10, 8, 8 @ BW (replacement for pulling movement)
    • Bar Thrusts - 3 x 6 @ 75KG
    • Renegade Row - 3 x 12 @ BW (each side)

Saturdays sesion was super awesome. Mainly just cecause I didn't think I had it in me to train so hard by myself. It was a conditioning session, so I just decided to pick several exercises and do them back to back for rounds of 3 or 4. In total this took me about 45 mins and I was drenched at the end of it and am still super sore from it.

Looked like this:

Round 1 (4 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

• Push Press x 15 reps @ 16KG DBS
    • Press Up Burpees x 12 reps
    • Step Ups x 20 reps (10 each side) @ 16KG DBS

Round 2 (4 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

• Goblet Squat x 15 reps @ 20KG DB
    • Skipping @ 100 skips
    • Turkish Get Up - 4 reps (2 each side) @ 20KG DB

Round 3 (3 sets with 2 min rest in between sets)

• Single Leg Elevated Split Squats - 16 reps (8 each side)
    • Lying Tricep Extensions - 12 reps @ 10KG DBS

I am going to get into the habit of doing this every Saturday as to be honest I love getting the volume through me and also its gonna be great for cardio.

I really like Friday's session. That's serious work.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal