The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Cheers!

A quick update for Monday. Diet was medium carb and it went ok - a little slip at the end of the day (waffle dessert!) but apart from that good and I'll make up for it with a bit of extra cardio!

Training was good - I am feeling stronger each week. Went like this:

Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 75KG (felt easy)
    Single Leg Step Up and Squat Down (to box) - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 12.5KG DBS
    Push Press - 3 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
    Elevated Single Leg Squat - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 10KG DBS (easy)
    Bar Roll out - 2 x 8 (tough)

SO weight is going up and most of it could have been at a higher weight - I just want to be patient with how I am cranking it up.

August is annoying me from a productivity and consistency point of view. Always seems to be something taking me off track - whether it be a social event or just smultiple distractions in the day.

This week is awful for it. I am away this evening with my Grandad to go and see his boat so today and Weds will be funny days from a diet perspective - aim is to just keep calories/carbs low and protein and water high and not stress about too much else. Sat afternoon/evening and Monday afternoon/evening I have big parties to go too also. The plan is just to keep carbs/calories low around it and do more cardio to even things out but the whole thing is not ideal.

I'll be glad to have 4 or 5 weeks with not much on to really knuckle down and work hard on AtLarge and also my training. Once this weekend is out of the way I should have a clear run.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    having an active social life is def not a negative. my major weakness is overindulgence to one or the other.. i dont know what my deal is with impulsive obsession. i dont like to split my efforts and insomuch, I can dominate whatever course upon which i set myself. either way, commitment to hitting your sessions and getting your cals more often than not will result in progress

keep it up bro

Mate, I am exactly the same - I'm either off or on and when I do each I seem to be 110% but overall it means a lack of consistency I hear you on the calories and just getting work done thing and thats what i am trying to remember.

So far this week diet has been a bit here or there - probably 70% which is rubbish considering the 2 parties I have between now and Monday which are effectively planned slips anyway.

So the plan is today to keep things 100% on medium carb for a good training session, some cardio tonight, a great conditioning workout tomorrow morning and then a cool party on Saturday.. Cardio Sunday and party again on Monday!

If I find myself heavier than I want to be on Tues (probably) I can always throw in a cut week just to even things off, so we'll see.

Hit the gym yesterday and the session felt great..

Bench Press - 1 x 8 @ 60KG, 2 x 8 @ 57.5KG
    Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 80KG
    Reverse Lunge - 3 x 16 (8 each side) @ 30KG
    Overhead Squat (replacement for pulling movement) 3 x 10 @ 15KG
    Leg Raises on Swiss Ball - 2 x 12 @ 2.5KG

Considering I struggled with 60KG for 2 reps 3 weeks ago on bench, that ain't bad going and the signs are there that I will get up to a respectable level soon.

Front squats today - urrghh.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Your social life seems very active. I swear you have a couple of parties a week. I think raising kids has slowed me down.

Nice job increasing that Bench. That's a good sign that things are moving in the right direction.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Banned
    cutting for a week is pointless dude. having said that, just keep everything as consistent as possible.

i should follow my own advice right? hah. THIS TIME ITS FOR REAL

Banned
    also.. you guys should get some white ALN shirts in addition to the other colors. i have one of everything and 2 grays. need some more selection :P

John - tell me about it.. Everywhere I turn there seems to be a stag do, wedding, birthday party, baby arrival or just some other excuse for a party - i thought it would slow down when I hit 30 but the type of party just changes lol.

Tim - You BETTER get fat, I'll be busting your balls if you keep switching! I hear ya, I just know the next few days are gonna kill me because unless I am a total bore, I will be relaxing and drinking/eating bad stuff. I'll limit the damage a bit though and we'll see where I end up and you're right a cut would be stupid. I mean I am still only 3lbs heavier than I was when I went on vacation and that was nearly 4 weeks ago so I am not exactly much fatter. I can just see some definition fading, but thats got to be the case really.

Fridays session was pretty good.

Front Squats - 3 x 8 @ 70KG
    Incline DB Bench Press - 3 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
    Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 8 @ BW
    Bar Thrusts - 3 x 8 @ 75KG
    Renegade Rows - 2 x 16 (8 each side) @ BW

Overall I didn't really feel that the workout taxed me too much, but I think it's more the fact that I am stil missing pulling movements and anyway next week jumps to 4 sets of everything which should be tougher.

Right, off to do a big met con session now to make me feel good about havibg a few beers and BBQ food tonight!

I hear you on the "pulls" making you the most tired. Rows and deads tire me out more than anything else. Still, I'm sure you can contribute the "fresh" feeling to your improved conditioning too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Rubbish updating here - I will get back to it ASAP!

Weights session on Monday went well - basically more volume on the sets and next week we go up in weight. Everything felt good although I had a bit of back pain on Tuesday which has gone now but I still might duck out of doing deadlifts today to be on the safe side, we'll see.

I'll be back with a proper update today!

Good session yesterday! I was a little worried going into it as I had some back pain and I was even half considering ditching the deads, but in the end went for it and I am glad I did.

Bench Press - 4 x 8 @ 60KG (still pussy but a big improvement on 3 x 8 @ 50KG about 4 weeks ago)
    Deadlift - 4 x 8 @ 80KG (felt easy)
    Overhead Squat - 1 x 10 @ 12.5KG, 3 x 8 @ 15KG
    Reverse Lunges - 4 x 16 (8 each side) @ 30KG
    Lying Leg Raises - 2 x 12 @ 2.5KG

So, overall not bad - I coped with the increased volume just fine and still feel I have a decent extra in the tank - just not wanting to rush it and get injured.

Also, I am really getting to feel how to deadlift properly. Back in the day I used to just pick that weight up and my lower back would take a lot of the weight. Now I get my hips and shoulders set and make sure everything is tight before picking it from the floor and I can feel it remain tight throughout so the hips/glutes/hams are doing the bulk of the work.

Still need to tighten up the diet - yesterday was 85% and it's still not good enough - I am noticing my tummy and lower back are filling out a touch so I want to reign that in. Just too many social temptations right now

Sup Danny boy. Looking good man. Deadlift and squat form are crucial, not only in not hurting yourself, but in also getting the most strength from the lifts. Good to see you still going at it in here.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Thanks Mark!

I've been an idiot lately and just kinda fell off the wagon - **** I hate it when that happens. I still have been training, but diet has been literally 50% consistency and cardio no more than 1 hour per week (half of what I set out to do). I know if I keep it up I am going to be unhappy with how my body changes - so back on now big time.

Also been getting lower back/glute pain for the last 5 days, I reckon squatting, deadlifting and romanian deadlifting each week is starting to get to me. I'm going to watch this closely and if it keeps up probably drop out deadlifts. Still got elbow pain, but its slowly going away... Goddamn it I am like a train wreck, sometimes it feels that I am simply not built to get strong on the main lifts and I often consider just doing 3 or 4 met con sessions a week as it would definately be a safer way to train and I would probably put on muscle and stay pretty lean.

For now though I will continue on the same path and just focus on getting progressively stronger on the key lifts. I'm now getting in 30-45 mins mobility stuff a day to hold down the aches and pains.

Yesterdays session was a 'weight jump' week with a little less volume. Everything was hit just fine and it felt pretty easy actually so I have a bit to go yet until things start getting really tough.

Romanian Deadlift - 1 x 77.5KG x 8, 2 x 80KG x 8 (easy, peasy)
    Push Press - 2 x 8 @ 25KG DBS (just ok, last set was a little tough)
    Single Leg Elevated Squat - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 12KG DBS (easy peasy)
    Step Ups - 3 x 8 (each side) @ 20KG DBS (just ok)
    Bar Rollouts - 3 x 8 (tough, but getting more range of motion and feeling it more in abs)

I finished off with 15 mins steady state (10 min cross trainer, 5 min skip)

As for diet, it looked like this (high carb day)

6 x oat biscuits
    0.5 x Granola Bar
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

1 x Apple
    Novus Protein bar

Chicken Breast (100g)
    Rice (125g) + 2 x Rice Cakes
    1 cup Veg

1 x Results
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

1 serving Opticen (mixed in water)
    0.5 banana

1 x scoop of Nitrean (mixed with water)
    1 x Crunchy Granola Bar (Nature Valley)
    1 / 2 apple

150g chicken
    salad leaves
    5 g fish oils

Low carb + 30-45 mins steady state today - fun times.

That was a serious workout, nice work. I'm going through the same stuff right now; the lifting is going well, the conditioning is crap, and my diet is all over the place. I had a long talk with my wife about us doing a better job of planning our meals.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

That low back / glute pain is weird Danny, considering you do a fairly balanced workout and seem to do a fair bit of mobility/flexibility stuff.
    Do you make sure to get your hip flexors with all that work?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Tell me about it Tom, I think I am just a magney for tightness/injuries lol.

Actually, its all cleared up mostly now and everything feels good and I even deadlifted and lunged yesterday so fingers crossed - just gotta keep up the mobility effort.

Weds I skipped cardio, but low carb was spot on - I'll make up the cardio before the end of the week comes.

Yesterday I had a really good workout - weights all up because it is a weight jump week and to be honest I breezed through everything. Session went like this:

Bench Press - 2 x 8 @ 62.5KG, 1 x 7 @ 62.5KG and 1 x 10 @ 50KG
    Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 82.5KG
    Reverse Lunge - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 32.5KG
    Overhead Squat - 3 x 8 @ 15KG (I think because I used a diff bar/gym)

I also played around with some DB rows with the 20KGs (3 x 8) and my elbow held up pretty well. I felt it a bit but hardly at all and no pain today so I reckon I can start introducing light rows and assisted chin ups from next week - AT LAST.

And I ended with 15 mins on the crosstrainer so thats 30mins cardio bagged, so a 45 met con plus a 45 SS should finish me off nicely for my 2 hours by Sunday.

Weighing 177 right now and even though I still look leanish in the mornings/post workout I can definately feel myself filling out a bit. But the lifts are going up easily week in, week out so thats a plus.

Massively pissed off with myself as of late.. Had a really crappy weekend/Monday from a diet perspective and also I have been really unproductive on the work front too - been switching from a pc to a mac and its taking longer than expected to make the transition, plus I have had some other distractions like sorting the mortgage for the new house etc. I just feel so slipping lame..

Shelby has asked me to stick to medium and lows this week as a result, so that plus a touch extra cardio should tighten things up a touch and still be enough to keep me going.

Anyway.......

This week is a back off week so just working up to a couple of sets of 6 on each exercise...

Session yesterday went like this:

• Romanian Deadlifts - 2 x 6 @ 80KG
    • Side Step Ups onto Box - 2 x 6 @ 15KG DBS
    • Push Press - 2 x 6 @ 25KG DBS
    • Elevated Split Squats - 2 x 6 (each leg) @ 12KG DBS
    • Bar Roll Out - 2 x 6

Today (Tuesday) I have stuck to a low carb day 100% which feels good. No cardio even though I should have gone - I got really stressed today about several stuff and ended up just working late to get what I needed to get done. I will get in tomorrow and kick the cardio off for the week though, aswell as a weights session later on in the day and will definitely nail a medium carb 100%.

Gotta get this **** sorted out and get back on track - just feel all over the place right now.

Banned
    so you ended up buying a spot? congrats! i hope youre pleased with youre choice, im sure you are or you would not have purchased. anyways.. hip pain? i was having glute pain last year and it turned out that i had developed a big disparity in flexibility.. which i worked on over 2 weeks or so until things evened out. it was weird.

anyways though, lifting looks real good man. consistency cant be perfect.. life does get in the way sometimes haha. fortunately for me, i ignore it. but ya dude, keep hitting it

Like F=ma said, life can get in the way. What makes the difference is re-dedicating yourself to it. Press on...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Cheers guys - press on I will I just seem to be worst than most at fighting off distractions and temptations, but I will continue to do my best and regardless my training is always consistent, its just the goddamn diet part of it!

Tim, yeah I bought a place 20 mins from where we live at the moment. I think I will miss Cambridge, but its SOOO expensive to buy in Cambridge so you get a ton more for your money outside of Cambridge and we're still close enough to get there quickly. Plus the town we moved to is also very nice.

Check out the pdf attached, it is the brochure of the house. Its not what we were originally looking for, but we kinda fell in love with it when we saw it and it doesn't really need a thing doing to it.

Ok, training and diet - hit about 90% medium carb and session went like this: (again working up to the 2 x sets)

Bench - 2 x 6 @ 62.5KG
    Deadlift - 2 x 6 @ 82.5KG
    DB Rows - 2 x 6 @ 25KG DBS
    Reverse Lunges - 2 x 6 @ 32.5KG

Rows felt ok, a bit of pain but I gotta get back to doing them at some point, so I will just continue with the rehab work alongside and keep things light.

Feeling a bit rough today, not sure why - need an early nights sleep really so thats what I'll do now

ok, attachment thing didn't work properly - see this link for the house - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Boring update for today - 5 meals out of 6 nailed for my low carb day today so far, so just a chicken salad to finish with and its a 100% day.... and I did 30 mins fasted steady state this morning.

Tomorrow will be more fun - med carb and front squats

Banned
    daniel, that place looks real nice. i like the hardwood. i have it myself but my dogs nails really do a number on it so if you have pets beware of that

Tim, I do have a dog yeah, pic of him attached to this post. He is a cheeky little bugger - maybe I will get him some little dog shoes for the house lol

Man I feel great for nailing a low carb day yesterday and getting some cardio in. Weighed 173 this morning which is more like it.

Lets see if I can stay on the wagon this weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    youll be fine. how are you finding the carb cycling for gaining so far? i really need to set aside some time at some point in the next year or so to do an extended stint of carb cycling to see how i respond.

ya your pup is very nice. shouldnt be a prob on the floors as he isnt too big. my labrador is pretty big so his claws put indentations on the floor when he is excited and running around.. doesnt mean to damage it but it just happens as the wood is soft and hes 80lbs

anyways tho, good stuff.

Cool looking dog and even better looking home. Congrats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal