Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

f=ma, I reckon you would like carb cycling... Feels great to load up on carbs training days and then cut them back on off/cardio days - just seems like an appropriate use of carbs and I definitely feel better for it.

I did a bit of soul searching over the weekend. I haven't been happy with a lot of things in my life recently and a lot of it comes down to lackluster levels of motivation and also I have been procrastinating in most areas of my life. I guess it just feels like I have been bumbling along and it makes me feel crappy because I am naturally someone that likes to be focused and achieve good things.

So I spent a lot of the weekend re-mapping out my visions for each area of my life (fitness, financial, social life, learning etc) and also I planned out some realistic goals for the rest of 2010 which should get me fired up.

That won't do it alone though - I've always set goals and at times procrastination and laziness gets the better of me. So I need to change about how I attack each day if things are going to change.

Some things I am going to change:

- properly plan out each day before I start
    - cut right back on random Facebook/email checking
    - tackle the boring/difficult jobs first to get them out of the way
    - start the day earlier and put in some hours in the evening
    - eat my meals on time, even if I don't feel like it (delaying them normally means I slip)

You get the idea, basically just be more effective on a daily basis.

Today has gone great - I have done everything already that I wanted to get done (its 16:35) and already had a good gym session. I can nail another couple of hours of work and feel good about going out with a few mates for a social one.

New training program from this week also which should shake things up. We're switching from a 3 day full body spit to an 4 day upper/lower spit - 4 exercises each session.

So my routine will look like this now

Mon - upper
    Tues - lower
    Weds - cardio
    Thurs - upper
    Fri - lower
    Sat - conditioning
    Sun - off

Progression works like this:

Week 1 - 3 x 8-10
    Week 2 - 4 x 8-10
    Week 3 - 3 x 6 (up weight)
    Week 4 - 2 x 6 (back offish)

Todays session went like this:

Incline DB Press - 2 x 10 @ 22.5KG DBS, 1 x 7 @ 22.5KG DBS
    Barbell Row - 3 x 10 @ 50KG
    Floor Press - 3 x 10 @ 50KG
    Chin Ups - 3 x 10 @ blue band

Nothing was super taxing, so should be able to up the weights nicely over the next few weeks. Felt great to do an upper body workout, I actually felt pumped.

Kinda sucked doing chins on a blue band, I am stronger than that but I am aware of my elbow and I want to keep the weight off it for now, but just get a bit of volume going through me at least.

Diet has also been great today. I am saving some calories for tonight though as a few of us are popping out for a bit of food for a friends birthday.

I ate my first 4 meals of a high carb day as normal:

50g x Quaker Oat Packs
    300ml half fat milk
    0.5 x Granola Bar
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

1 x Apple
    Novus Protein bar

Chicken Breast (100g)
    Rice (125g) + 2 x Rice Cakes
    1 cup Veg

1 x Results
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

That leaves me with 90g carbs, 65g protein and a bit of fat to play with tonight which should be doable.

Oh, I've also decided to stop working with Shelby for a bit. Nothing he has done, he is an awesome diet coach and I owe my weight drop to him, but with buying the new house I need to cut out unnecessary costs and to be honest it should just be a matter of 2 high carb, 1 med and 4 lows per week through till summer. If I slip on the consistency and want to dial it back its just a matter of running no highs for a week and if I don;t gain, I can replace lows for med and highs. Consistency is the thing I have to work on.

Phew, sorry about the long post - just needed to get that out!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Like F=ma said, life can get in the way. What makes the difference is re-dedicating yourself to it. Press on...

+1 on so many levels.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Good for you for taking stock and making a plan. I do that weekly...because I slip up weekly

Also, I like the look of your workout. That's right up my alley and very similar to what I'm doing.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Making certain adjustments and setting new priorities and acting upon them is the only way to go, glad to see you taking the steps in order to get to the next level with everything. Good luck with your new place.
    Last edited by Coke; 09-21-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the comments guys, it really helps me knowing people are reading and watching I'm feeling pretty good about things right now and I can see myself settling into some good consistency now.

Yesterday was a a pretty good day. Great training session and 90% on diet...

Training was a lower body session and went like this:

Jump Shrug - 3 x 8 @ 30KG (wasn't overly heavy, but getting the right form here was tricky)
    Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 80KG
    I cannot remember what I did here!! I will update when I remember lol
    Reverse Lunges - 3 x 8 @ 40KG

I'm going to start pushing myself a bit more on the weights in general from now on. I haven't really been training to failure for a while and even though its working from a not getting injured/getting stronger point of view, I think I can load up a little more and not cross the fine line.

Diet was pretty good as mentioned above. Now that I am training 4 days a week, its kinda messed up the whole 2 high, 1 med and 4 low carb day set up as it kinda sucks training hard on a low carb day as theres nothing for pre and post workout. So I will run 2 x high, 2 x med and 3 x low for a few weeks and so how I get on. If I am consistent with this it should be fine, but if it feels too much I will switch to 1 x high, 3 x medium and 3 x low.

So I started off with a low yesterday (as is normal for tuesday) and then realised about the whole 4 day thing, so kinda did a bit of both lol

Today is low carb - I may do some cardio but I also might take it off. Now I am on mon, tues, thurs and fri, I might take the weds clean off, do a conditioning day on saturday and some light cardio sunday morning. We'll see...

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Seems the re-focus is working. I know buying a new house is stressful and bound to throw you off your game. Nice job getting back in line before it became habbit.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    training to failure is where its at! lifting wouldnt be fun if you arent right on the cusp of either fainting or dying

diet and training setup looks good. once you have your shell diet, you really wont need the pro touch unless youre doing a pre-contest type of thing imo.. then its really good to have someone objective to guide you in.

OffRoad - My life is a constant getting back on track lol

f=ma - yeah I hear ya, but I seem to friggin fall to pieces when I push myself really hard so I am just trying to take it easy for the time being and get some consistency behind me but I am starting to crank it up now.

Yesterday was pretty good... a nice rest from the gym and I cooked a meal for the gf in the evening - a vegetable-jelfrazi curry with coconut rice. Didn't really fit into my low carb day, but I did an IF type thing and only ate a protein bar and 5 scoops of nitrean all day and then this in the evening so overall calories were definitely in check.

I'm still hanging in the 173-175lbs range so weight is staying low, so with training 4 times a week I am looking forward to 2 x high, 2 x med and 3 x low with just 1-2 hours cardio. If I can be consistent for a month with that, I can take stock and see where I am at and decide if any changes need to be made.

Med carb day + upper body day. Only thing better than that is upper body + high carb lol

Training session from yesterday

Bench Press - 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 62.5KG and 1 x 10 @ 50KG
    DB Row - 3 x 10 (each arm) @ 26KG (no pain, whoop, whoop!)
    Push Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
    Lat Pull Down to Front - 3 x 10 (can't remember the weight, i wouldn't normally do these)

DONE.

Diet was pretty good - not by the book as the day got a bit hectic, but still good and not far off. I have to get better at hitting my numbers more precisely though.

I am loving the upper and lower body sessions - I get to train more regularly and it's more satisfying than a full body for sure.

Lower body + high carb today!!

Oh and seeing as it's Friday and I want to go out and eat Japanese tonight, I am going to have a more relaxed schedule and use fitday to ensure my numbers get hit rather than pre-plan all of my days eating.

Numbers to hit are:

PROTEIN 245g
    CARBS 300g
    FAT 60g
    CALORIES - 2700

Every day is a high carb day, even when it's not.

If you repeat it often enough, eventually it becomes true.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Really like the lifting sessions. I can really get behind those routines. Best of luck.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yeah, I am loving the movement based routines over bodypart splits.

Todays session was a killer!

- Front Squats - 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 72.5G. 1 x 8 @ 65Kg, 1 x 10 @ 50KG (this was unusually hard!)
    - Elevated Single Leg Split Squats - 3 x 8 (each leg) @ 14KG DBS
    - Hip Thrusts - 3 x 10 @ 80Kg (felt kinda wierd doing these in the commercial gym, especially as some girl was on the bench next to me lol
    - Step Ups - 3 x 10 (each leg) @ 20KG DBS
    - Bar Rollouts - 1 x 8, 2 x 6
    - Lying leg raises - 2 x 8

Need to smash an conditioning session tomorrow, keep it reasonably clean over the weekend and this week will be my most consistent week in about 3 months!!!

Havent checked in in a while mate, gimme a quick update:

How's strength?
    How's weight?
    How's the elbow?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Havent checked in in a while mate, gimme a quick update:

How's strength?
    How's weight?
    How's the elbow?
    Hey buddy!

Strength is good - still not very strong lol, but progression is virtually clockwork and I'm just trying to be patient with the weight increases as I don't want to repeat past mistakes by getting inured by ramping up the weight to quickly.

Right now I am sticking to:

Week 1 - 3 x 8-10 on each exercise
    Week 2 - 4 x 8-10 on each exercise
    Week 3 - 3 x 6 (weight goes up)
    Week 4 - 2 x 6 (same weight for week 3 - back off on volume)

Then you repeat, hopefully using the increased weight for week one.

So far this seems to be a pretty good rate for me to progress.

bench is at 62.5Kg for 10 reps, front squat is 72.5Kg for 8 and deadlift 80KG for 8. Kinda sucky, but I got more in the tank and I just gotta keep my head down and be patient - It'll all about how strong and how good I look in 2 years.

Weight is really good - only 3-4 lbs heavier than when i dieted, so i can probably relax the food soon. Right now I am on a cautious carb rotation plan with a bit of cardio, but in 3-4 weeks I might increase the food a bit and decrease acivity just to get things moving quicker. One thing I am aware of though is I want to cut for summer 2011 and I don't want it to be a hell of a job, so I am trying to keep reasonably lean. probably about 14-15% right now.

Elbow is cauing me less gip and i am back on pulling movements, just not to failure yet

Cheers for checking in, how is it all going with you?

Banned
    i know its prob not what you want to hear, but have you considered something like SS? linear would do you very well

I might try SS in the future, for now though I'm kinda happy to keep to my trainers program... I'll definately do a bit of reading up on SS though.. I wanna try SS, HCT-12 and DC at some point.

Ok, today wasn't too shabby.

Medium carb 100% and a decent training session. Volume went up this week..

Incline DB press - 2 x 10 @ 22.5KG DBS, 2 x 8 @ 22.5KG DBS
    Barbell Row - 3 x 10 @ 55KG, 1 x 8 @ @ 55KG
    Floor Press - 4 x 8 @ 55KG (or maybe 52kg?)
    Assisted Chin Ups - 3 x 8, 1 x 6 @ blue band (still taking it easy)

Gonna be taking the day off training and my normal eating plan tomorrow as I have to travel to London to see some friends, but will be back on it Weds.

Overall, I'm happy with how everthing is going - need to tighten up diet for sure but am gaining strength each session, so I am happy with that!

Banned
    dont fix it if it isnt broken

yep, yep - for now I am gonna keep soldiering on with the upper/lower system. I'm feeling the work capacity is about right and slowly but surely my strength is gong up.

Yesterdays session was rubbish, rubbish, rubbish. I was in a foul mood (argued with the girl, had some other frustrating things going on) and I am generally not someone who can channel that into aggression for my sessions. I tend to perform better when I am feeling great and nothing is bubbling over in my mind.

So... it was more of a tick that session off session, but at least I got in there and did it.

Looked like this:

DB Row - 4 x 8 @ 25KG DB - (easy peasy and hardly any pain)
    Bench Press - 1 x 8 @ 62.5KG, 2 x 6 @ 62.5KG, 1 x 6 @ 60KG (arrghh)
    Close Grip Chin ups - 1 x 8, 3 x 6 @ blue band)
    Push Press - 4 x 6 @ 25KG DBS

Felt good to get in and do it, but my mind just wasn't in it

Today is gonna be tough. Its high volume leg day!

Happens to the best of us mate.
    Get in, tick off the boxes and then get on with life.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

yeah, I hear you Tom.

I've been finding it real tough lately to keep diet on track and get in the right zone for the sessions. In fact I went into the gym on Friday to do the leg session, warmed up and then after a warm up set of squats decided to not do the session. I was light headed, sweating and felt so weak/crappy and everything just didn't really feel right. I don't know if it was really the right thing to do, but I just felt like it wasn't worth pushing through.

The way I am feeling isn't limited to training, its like that in virtually all areas of my life right now.. Work, relationships - you name it, I just feel unmotivated and am leaning towards procrastinating when its time to get stuff done.

However I am determined to make this week MUCH better. I sat down last night and planned out some stuff to do which would make the week a successful one on both the personal and work front.

I think I am going to stop training at the private facility for a bit too. Its a great place, but my training partner runs the gym and always seems kinda distracted with stuff going on and I'm one of those guys that needs to get in, talk to no one and just get stuff done and get out. So I will probably wrap things up this week and train exclusively at the commercial gym. It's got good equipment and I don't know many people so it's easy to whack on the headphones and just crank through it.

This weeks goals for training.

4 x really good weights sessions - 2 x upper, 2 x lower
    1 x conditioning workout (45min)
    1 x cardio (30min)

I want my diet to be 90% for the next 7 days. I have enough food for today and I will cook up 6 days worth tomorrow to keep me on track.

And lots of mobility stuff, before sessions and in the evening.

Need to stop moaning and just start posting some good updates with better numbers...

You may even consider dropping to three days a week until that drive and motivation comes back. I think three days a week is better anyways, but that's besides the point. I know I tend to burn out a bit on 4 day routines, and it carries over to all parts of my life. Just a thought. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    agrd on training alone. training with people pisses me off and drags things out

if someone wants to come lift with me i tell them in advance:
    1. no talking
    2. bring headphones

I'm the same way with training. If I go in, I'll throw the deuce up to some guys I know, just a quick wave that's it, no talking or anything. Earphones get put in before I enter the gym, and I start my workout. There have been a few times while just doing accessory work or on an off day, I'll go in and BS around for a few minutes, but usually I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself about things while working out. If someone comes to the house, I tell them this is what I'll be doing, if you want to do more, work it in, don't interfere, if you want to do less, just let me know and I'll skip you that set. A few guys have come over to train, but they always sit out sets and usually don't end up coming back. The concept a lot of people have about training is different from mine I guess, I go intense and balls to the wall most of the time. Oh well.

It's a new week Daniel, make it happen bro.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

I had a good chat to my training partner today and told him that I am gonna train by myself at the commercial gym from now on. He was cool with it. Feel kinda bad because I do like him and like training with him, but I just feel I need to switch up the environment a bit, pick up the focus and also save me some $ too.

todays session was ok, but again it felt a little flat and I think with a few exercises switched and some loud eminem in my ears, I'll do better.

Today's session looked like this:

Jump Shrug - 4 x 4 @ 60Kg (going to switch this exercise)
    Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 8 @ 90KG
    Reverse Lunges - 3 x 8 @ 45KG
    Overhead Squat - 3 x 8 @ 30KG
    Leg Raises 2 x 8

I also nailed a med carb day 100% today which felt good. Feels like the last time I did that was too long ago.

I am also gonna start posting actual meals/foods from tomorrow to keep myself more accountable and gonna jigg the routine around a bit too tonight. It'll mostly be the same, just a few exercises here or there.