Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I just found myself getting worked up about a few things and getting in a real bad mood and that in turn made me feel crappy and tired and stressed.
    Happens all the time to me..luckily the gym I train at hardly gets used so I can usually focus my anger at the weights.

And my mother has a kindle..she seems to love it. Enjoy and happy bday!

I got my kindle today actually and it seems pretty neat - basic in design and functionality but stripped back to be good at one thing and thats to read books

Just got done from my first session of the week and it felt great to go slightly lower volume, lower reps. I was surprised at how comfortable some of the weights I estimated felt!

UPPER BODY A

Incline DB Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 26KG DBS

Barbell Rows - 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 75KG

Floor Press - 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 65KG

Front Pull Down - 3 x 8 @ 70KG

Bar Roll Outs - 2 x 8, 1 x 6

Smashed a high carb day 100% too - wohoo.

Feeling good right now.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Yesterdays Lower Body A session.

Romanian Deadlift - 1 x 8 @ 95KG, 3 x 6 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunges - 3 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 50KG

Leg Press - 3 x 8 @ 170KG

Leg Curl - 1 x 12 @ 65KG, 3 x 6 @ 75KG (I think.... need to check this)

Overall a nice session and it was nice to up the weights a bit and shoot for the 6-8 rep range. And to be fair, I could have gone in harder but I am still being patient with lower body progression.

Slipped on the diet towards the end of the day, but not too bad.. somewhere in the middle of med and high carb.

Today is LOW CARB and I am gonna get my ass in and do some cardio!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Took some pics tonight - not the best quality as I was taking them in front of a mirror, but they're not too bad.

I wasn't going to post them, but I could really use the accountability factor.

I'm weighing in at 182 (bout 10lbs heavier than the end of August) here and its in the evening, no pump, in fact no training today.

So here goes. Still a lot of work to do but I am definately gaining weight and in general keeping the chubb at bay (ish). Just gotta keep patient, stay consistent (ish) with the diet and keep training simple and hard. Wierd that I have been training (on and off with crappy nutrition) for nearly 8 years, yet it feels like I am just starting!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Noticable increase over your old pictures Daniel. You are on the right track.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Cheers John! Still nothing to get excited about, but I am hoping for contiunal improvement as I post more pics between now and summer.

My last 2 sessions have been right on the money. I felt great and my strength is increasing nicely. Really good to train in the 6 rep range too.

UPPER B - FRI

DB Rows - 3 x 8 @ 32KG

Bench Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 4+2 @ 70KG (remember it was only about 8 weeks ago i was pushing a measily 50KG for 5)

Pull Ups - 1 x 6 @ BW, 1 x 8, 1 x 8 @ blue band

Push Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 7, 1 x 6 @ 28 KG DBS

15min cardio (skipping and punch bag)

LOWER B - SAT

Front Squat - 3 x 6 @ 70KG

Elevated Split Squats - 3 x 6 (each leg) @ 16KG DBS

Bar Thrusts - 3 x 8 @ 90KG

Step Ups - 3 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 26KG DBS

Overall 2 pretty strong sessions for me.

Well happy with bench. I was ecpecting to hit maybe 5. I started set 1 determing to keep my form tight. Shoulder width grip, elbows tucked in, set everything before lift off, controlled on the way down and exposive on the way up and bang the first one shot up like nothing and that immediately gave me the confidence to go on and hit 8 reps. I also really concentrated on making sure the bar went up and down as close to parallel as possible. I remember a Dave Tate video a while back where he said most people waste so much energy with the bar moving around, so I tried to keep it in the grove and it really helped.

I was also impressed with push press, 30KG DBS are just round the corner.

The 70KG Squat was also a nice step up and if I am honest I could have cranked out 10+ but I am absolutely not going to fall into the same trap as I always have and go to failure and screw myself over. patience is key.

Spit Squats I was also pleased with. No stopping and started, 6 reps on each leg from beginning to end, brilliant form.

COME ON!!

Tomorrow is my met con day and I have something good lined up I thought about today. My first circuit is going to be a tough weights oriented one of goblet squat/push press/turkish get up. The next one is going to be more of a cardio one - row, bag work and skipping. Then I will finish with an upper body circuit with an emphasis on tricepos. Maybe narrow grip bench, flyes and tricep extensions.

Feeling good right now.

Looking good Daniel keep at it
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Cheers Kiff!

Absolutely smashed the met con session today:

4 rounds of the below with about 2 min rest in between each round:

Goblet Squat (20KG DB) x 12 reps
    Push Press (20KG DBS) x 12 reps
    Turkish Get Up (20KG DB) for 6 reps (3 each side)

4 rounds of the below with about 1 min rest in between each round:

Skipping - 200 reps
    Row - 1min @ 1:45/500M
    Punch Bag - 1 min

3 rounds of the below with about 2/3 min rest in between each round:

Flyes - 1 x 10 @ 16KG DBS
    Tricep Extensions - 1 x 10 @ 12KG

DONE

I like that met con session...those Turkish getups are awesome!!

I don't normally do them after push press and my shoulders were seriously getting fried. As soon as I went into the turkish get ups I could feel it quite hard to stablize the DB before rep 1 and this got worse after each round. But I managed it and got through it very well from a capacity point of view.

I love those met con sessions. Your still lifting weights, its interesting, its healthy and you feel great and sore afterwards. And... they do help keep you in shape.

I've even considered giving a met-con only routine a shot at some point. Probably 4 sessions a week - 2 tough weight ones and 2 cardio ones (one high intensity and one medium intensity). If you pick the right exercises (stuff like clean and press, push press, squats, RDLS etc) I reckon you can maintain or improve strength, get lean or add muscle. Be interesting for sure, I might do that to maintain leanness next summer, I'll have a think about it.

What do you all think?

As for this week, its a back off week. I was tempted not to take it because I so badly want to keep the volume up and keep cranking up the weight.... but..... this progression cycle IS working. I AM getting stronger and I am NOT getting injured so I will bite my tongue and keep it up.

Also, I was thinking about how to more strategically use the back off week and I am going to turn it into a min cut week. well.. ish. My diet isn't the most consistent each week - probably 60--70% if I am honest which is less than I like but at the end of the day given how much activity I do and how I look in the mirror I am managing to stay on the cusp of being happy with the puppy fat given I need to add muscle and strength. But, if I can use the back off week to kinda rein things in and be SUPER consistent it will be one week in four where I kinda lean up a little.

So, I plan to do no high days - 4 medium (my weights days) and 3 low (cardio and off days) and I will do whatever it takes to be 90%+ consistent. I am also gonna up the cardio to 1 x met con + 2 hours cardio. And a big focus on mobility. This means I am making use of the back off week to really improve mobility and lean up a bit which kinda of makes up for the 3 weeks where things sit at about 70%. And I think having 3 weeks at 70% and 1 week at close to 100% is a manageable way for me to achieve my goals. Not perfect, but getting something to fit around how you want to live is more important to me than being perfect.

Anyway enough of the waffling. Strict diet, less carbs, lower volume @ 6 reps, more cardio and lots of mobility work this week.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 11-15-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Simple back off upper body session today with a bit of a finisher tacked on the end for a cardio blast.

Incline DB Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 28KG DBS

Bar Rows = 2 x 6 @ 80KG

Floor Press - 2 x 6 @ 70KG

Hammer Strength Pull Down - 2 x 6 @ 75KG

3 rounds of the below - 2 min rest:

Clean and Press - 1 x 15 @ 20KG Rubber type type thing
    Skipping - 250 reps
    Row - 1 min @ 1:40/500M

DONE

Went up on most weights and everything felt great - **** is coming together.

Banned
    good decision to stay consistent.. i am always getting minor injuries.. its such a pain in the ass but i am so stubborn. keep at it daniel, you are doing well

Yep, steady and slow is the name of the game!

Todays workout was a little boring due to it being a back off, but everything got done and I upped some of the weights for the 6 reps.

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 8 @ 100KG

Reverse Lunges - 2 x 12 (6 each leg) @ 50KG

Leg Press - 2 x 6 @ 180KG

Leg Curls - 2 x 6 @ 75KG

Side Planks - 3 x 45 sec (each side)

Nothing boring about upping the weight and getting it done.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Popping in to see how you're doing. Haven't been around much, sorry.
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

Been a bit quiet lately, sorry for that!

I kinda went into a bit of a slump towards the end of last week. Went off the diet and didn't train.. I dunno, it was just a crappy ass week for everything.

The diet thing pisses me off the most. I am in a position where I can get stronger, stay reasonably lean AND have some freedom and I still **** it up. I can definitely afford the odd evening out with friends, dinner with the girl, whatever as long as 80%+ of the other stuff is 100% on diet and a hard training session. But I am straying and I can see it in the mirror a little.

So, need to SMASH this week as I am in Munich with friends for Fri through Sun and there won't be a lot of dieting/training there.

So, the plan was 4 solid days of hard training and clean eating and I have smashed Mon and Tues already:

These are from memory but mostly correct:

Mon - Upper Body A:

Incline DB Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 28KG DBS

Bar Rows = 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 77.5KG

Floor Press - 2 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 70KG

Hammer Strength Pull Down - 3 x 10 @ 75KG

Bar Roll Outs - 2 x 8

Tues - Lower Body (a mix of exercises from both sessions as I am only training legs once this week)

Romanian Deadlift - 2 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 100KG, 1 x 8 @ 80KG (for a stretch)

Front Squat - 2 x 10 @ 70Kg (PR), 1 x 8 @ 70KG

Elevated Split Squat - 3 x 12 (each leg) @ 14KG DBS (I was quite tired from front squats and RDL so it wasn't clean 12 rep set, some got done in 2 or 3 parts. I reckon I could have smashed a clean 12 each side if I had done them as a second exercise as normal)

Leg Curl - 2 x 10 @ 72.5KG, 1 x 10 @ 70KG

Then I hobbled home.

Gonna smash upper body + 45min cardio today and then a met con session on Thursday which will be a good 4 workouts.

You may get down on yourself, but you're getting it done. You just came off a long time of strict eating and training, you need a mental break. Just keep driving yourself back on track until it becomes habit again. Have fun on your trip and then punish yourself when you get back.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I AM getting stronger and I am NOT getting injured so I will bite my tongue and keep it up.
    If I could stay injury free for a year I'd be pumped! I say stick with it if it is working and keeping you healthy...cant go wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You may get down on yourself, but you're getting it done. You just came off a long time of strict eating and training, you need a mental break. Just keep driving yourself back on track until it becomes habit again. Have fun on your trip and then punish yourself when you get back.
    Yeah you're right. I just need to be more solid on those on days and I can then easily afford some off. finding the right balance is SOOOO hard for me..

I'm gonna have fun in Munich though and not worry about stuff and then smash it on Monday!

Cheers for the pep talk!

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    If I could stay injury free for a year I'd be pumped! I say stick with it if it is working and keeping you healthy...cant go wrong with that.
    Yup, just gotta keep remembering those things

Awesome Upper body session today - PRS accross the board.

DB Rows 2 x 12 @ 32.5KG, 2 x 10 @ 32.5KG

BB Bench - 1 x 11, 1 x 9, 1 x 6 @ 70KG, 1 x 10 @ 50KG

Wide Grip Pull Ups - 1 x 12, 1 x 8+2, 1 x 6+3+2+1 @ Blue Band

DB Push Press - 1 x 9, 1 x 7 @ 28KG, 1 x 10 @ 26KG

I had a proper wobble on the 8th rep of the 2nd set of DB push press. I got them half up and then one went and I held onto it because I didn;t want to drop them on the hard bit of the floor and i just looked like a bit of a wally lol. Next time I will just drop them as it was close to causing an injury!

Anyway, can't complain about PRs on all exercises - this is really coming together now.

Eating has gone well today. A little off track this evening as I cooked a home made vegetable, jalfrezi curry with nann bread but overall calories roughly in check. gonna get tighter on this next week for sure.

Looks like you are putting those extra calories to good use. Way to smash it. Now you can go on your trip feeling good.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Got me a conditioning session to smash before I go though!

Although training for 3 days on the trot has made me soooooore, so its gonna be tough!

Banned
    good stuff man. i had a wobble like that a few years ago except i lost it completely and dropped a 70 on my chest.. really messed me up lol.. took me more than a month to recover from that. good to avoid injury!

yep, I think a bit more momentum and I could have hurt myself, so I was lucky!

In short, the weekend was a long one. The airport in Munich got snowed in and I ended up being awake for 48 hours which SUCKED.

Plus the weekend was full of beer and lots of meat and potatoes lol

I hit the gym today and was WEAK. Pretty sure the 5 days off and being super tired just knocked me out of the groove, so I just knocked the weights down and didn't quite train to failure. No point in pushing it when I don't have it in me and it should only take a few tick over sessions and a bit of good eating to pull things back.

So session looked like this:

Upper Body A

Incline DB press

1 x 7 @ 28KG DBS
    1 x 6 @ 26KG DBS
    1 x 8 @ 24KG DBS

Bar Rows

3 x 8 @ 70KG

Floor Press

2 x 8 @ 65KG
    1 x 8 @ 60KG
    1 x 8 @ 50KG

Front Pull Down

3 x 8 @ 65KG

DONE.