The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brads Journal

Brads Journal - HCT

Hi all,

Iíve been using the HCT program for few weeks now, so thought Iíd start a journal, although not from the beginning Iíll summarise my progression so far and also some background into me.

First off my stats - (from the UK so have converted to llbs)
    37 Male
    6ft 3in
    202lbs
    BF% I guess 20%

4 years ago I weighed 238lb, wore size 38inch trousers, had a fat body and stick arms. I never really did any sport (not a naturally gifted sportsman and lazy!) I ate processed food and anything I fancied, this was fine in my twenties and however in my 30ís you pay the price.

I completely changed my health, with this my happiness. I changed my processed food (oven chips and oven breaded chicken) to clean, natural foods (ie. Lean meat, veg, salad brown rice/pasta) and also starting eating breakfast and drinking water (I never used to touch plain water, coke or juice only)

Over a year I got down to 168lb, I was eating healthy going to the gym, running, rowing and using machine weights; whichever machine was free I would go on, not following any routine.

I then educated myself more on weights and moved to compound lifting, almost full body, I still remember trying a squat and bench press for the first time... I used squat with 22lb on the bar and sometimes I felt a bit dizzy... friends and family commented I was looking a little bit too skinny; I now believe I was not eating enough at the time.

I meet my now wife and enjoyed dating (eating out and drinking a lot!) I put some weight on but still went the gym. I started following Stronglifts, and eating more. I was progressing with my lifts but my BF was going high.. I followed the TNT diet, lost some BF but did not like the mood change with no carbs and found it difficult to maintain at work and home.

After these I have followed Full Bodies, splits, changed my eating intake more than I can remember. Still looking slim but not putting on any muscle or losing any real BF Ė my stomach is very wobbly from my unhealthy past. I have always suffered from skinny legs and arms and a fat body..

I started HCT in May 2010, and also started to walk to and from work (50 mins a day at a brisk pace Ė calc say 298 cals a day burnt as itís 5k)

My goals (I say goals as I struggle to have a consistent goal, the psychological effects of being unfit and overweight previously I tend to eat not enough and/or the wrong things time to time)

Get bigger with at BF 10% - I donít know what weight I would be...
    I first started at the end of May did 3 weeks on the 4 day a week and got a cold, so did not lift for 2 weeks. I started again on the 3 day week in June and have just completed 4 weeks, so next week is my deload week. Iím really enjoying it, my lifts are progressing (I am a weak lifter, my press etc is something I struggle to improve, I had it at 70Kg on Stronglifts a while back) and Iím noticing a big difference in my body, the best shape Iíve ever been. Iíll post up some pics over the weekend.
    Iím not entirely sure how much cals I should be eating, without knowing what my target weight would be it is difficult.

I have down 2985 cals a day, broken down to
    2985 cals
    Protein 303g 1,212 cals
    Carb 216g 864 cals
    Fat 101g 909 cals
    (I struggle with what to eat for this)

I go on holiday Aug 25th, so Iíd like to lose a bit for that, then full out ďbulkĒ there on.

If anyone has read this far and can help...

Question: Any help with working out a target weight at 10%BF would be appreciated, would 225lbs be achievable?
    Question: Long skinny limbed is a ďhardgainerĒ?
    Question: Should I lower my cals say -250 a day for the holiday (I have concern, when I started the 4 day program I felt exhausted, possibly due to not enough food intake)

Rather than list our all my training here are my starting stats and as of today on HCT-12

Thank you for a fantastic program!
    Last edited by Bradruss; 02-24-2011 at 05:58 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Welcom, I'm glad you decided to keep a journal. Keeping a journal here is the best way to stay on track and get good advice along the way.

You gave a good introduction and have some good questions. I'll try to help you with them the best that I can...

A goal weight is a personal thing so it's hard to give an exact number. However, your goals should be achievable and realistic. A bodyweight of 220 lbs at 10 percent body fat is a very impressive physique, but obtainable with years of hard work. Remember, you can always adjust your goals after you have achieved some success. So, start with that goal of 220 lbs and and see how things work out. Adjust your calories according to how your body is responding. If you want to lose fat, but are gaining fat instead, then adjust the calories a little lower. Likewise, if you are dropping weight too fast, then adjust the calories up a little.

Hardgainers, a topic that is near and dear to my heart. You cannot classify yourself as a Hardgainer simply by the fact that you have long skinny limbs. The true definition of a Hardgainer is somebody that is genetically typical. In other words, you are in the majority of the population. You will find it difficult to gain muscle and get incredibly strong. If you find that you have an easy time gaining muscle, which it doesn't sound like, you would be classified as an Easygainer or genetically advantaged. Since you are probably a Hardgainer, it will be important to make strength your number one goal and make recovery a priority.

There is also a classification known as an Ultra-Hardaginer. This means you find it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get stronger and gain any kind of muscle mass. These poor guys will have to sverely limit their training and have a lot of food and rest in order to make any gains at all. However, these guys are about as rare as the Easygainers, so my guess is you probably fall into the Typical range and you are simply a Hardgainer.

Don't lower your eating based on a calender. Like Daniel often says, consistancy is the key. Find your proper calories and macros, then stick with it for training days and off days. Diet isn't my strong point and hopefully somebody else will help out with that question. However, I do know for myself, that eating consistantly over a long period of time has allowed me to lose some weight and gain some muscle in the process. So, I'd say Daniel is right on the money with the consistency thing.

I hope that helps, and if you have any more question, it would help to post them in the HCT-12 forum. You will get more imput there. Good luck.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    If you weighed 100kg at 6'3" and about 10% BF you'd stand out in most places. Quite a lofty goal and like OR said one that is very personal and specific to you.

And just a little math to put that into perspective:
    Right now you're 200lb @ ~20% BF. That's 160lb lean weight and 40lb fat.
    Goal of 220lb @ 10% would be ~200lb lean weight and ~20lb fat.

To gain 40lb of muscle and lose 20lb of fat is a long term goal. Good luck with your program and achieving your goals.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Thanks for the replies. It's all about learning and consistency as you say.

I'll keep with the cals and carry on lowering the BF, which seems to be happening.

Last night was the last workout before deload. I just need to find out if you ramp up to 15x2 or straight in at 15x2, must be ramp up, looking forward to the change, I'll swap a couple of exercises but mostly keep to same big moves. Squatting low is hard, the first squat workout I did on this I could barley walk for a week, I had not performed any squats for some months, now I get slight aches. Every time I deadlift I can really feel it in my traps, the next day, which is a good feeling.

The last week I changed from early workout to evenings, and the gym is much busier, so I'll swap back to early mornings.

Friday 23rd July I could not get on the weights in my usual order

Pullups 11x4 11x2,11x2,11x2 - This is assisted, the next increase is to BW

BOR 132x6 132x2,132x2,132x2

db Shoulder press 44x6 44x2,44x2,44x2

Dips BW(202lb) x6, BWx2,BWx2,BWx2 - Next increase is to add weight, or do more ramping sets at BW...?

Incline Press 110x2, dropped to 99x6 99x2,99x2,99x2 - I did this last in the workout, I was tired so I had to drop the weight - auto-regelation at work

Weight 201lb - Sat morning 8am
    Cals 2971
    Protein 229g
    Carbs 303g
    Fat98g

I'm wondering, should I eat the cals I burn from my daily walking?

Got a busy weekend, painting the nursery, theatre with the wife tonight (must try not to fall a sleep) and family garden party tomorrow.

Garage Lifter
    solid session, I wouldn't overthink the calories burned by walking.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Monday 26 July - Deload week

I made a mistake and did 5 weeks instead of 4 of the workout... I decided to do the deload week now and next week start the next cycle and perform 4 weeks as per the programme

Felt good going in to try this, I was not sure about the working up to 15x2 so I gave it a go

Pull up (assisted)
    132lb x 10
    110lb x 15
    110lb x 15

Incline Press (smith machine rack)
    (bar)0 x 15
    22lb x 10
    44lb x15
    44lb x 15

BOR
    22lb x 15
    44lb x 6
    66lb x 15
    66lb x 15

Db Standing/Shoulder Press
    8lb x 6
    13lb x 6
    17lb x 12
    22lb x 15
    26lb x 15
    26lb x 15

Dips (Assisted)
    110lb x 6
    66lb x 15
    66lb x 15

Felt pumped after, had to squeeze some of the reps near the end as fatigue set in. The pull ups and Dips I felt weak, using the assisted - however I am progressing on them in the normal workout..

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    solid session, I wouldn't overthink the calories burned by walking.
    Thanks for reading StLRPh

Cals for Mon 26th

2,570 Cals
    229g Carb
    76g Fat
    253g Protein

202.2lb

Welcome to HCT-12, and congrats on the work you've put in thus far. How has your weight fluctuated since you started the program? You mentioned not being sure about caloric/macro intake to achieve 10% bodyfat, and knowing whether you're gaining or losing weight will be helpful in determining those numbers.
    TB

Thanks for the note.

I have gone from 198 to 202 since the end of May. My stomach area has gone down and looks firmer, I look more defined all over, I would say my BF% has dropped.
    Last edited by Bradruss; 07-28-2010 at 01:25 AM.

28th July 202lb
    Cals 2,829
    Carbs 286
    Fat 80
    Protein 236

29th July
    202.6lb

Last night was workout B - I went in the evening due to not sleeping too well the night before, some noisy drunk walking down the street at 2am, female as well!

Felt tired going into this and pumped after. Looking at my body I felt like I was suddenly carry a lot of body fat again, which led me to think about cutting cals - This morning I looked a lot better, still might drop 250 cals a day to get a but leaner for my hols at the end of Aug. The mind can be frustrating at times.

I've been watching Pumping Iron (1972 I think), not a bad watch actually, first time I've seen Arnold not in a Hollywood movie, lots of charisma.

Squat
    44 x 12
    66 x 6
    88 x 15
    88 x 15

Deadlift
    44 x 6
    66 x 10
    110 x 15
    110 x 15

Db curls (the gym was so busy these are the only weights I had to play with)
    13 x 10
    22 x 15
    22 x 15

Calf Raise
    77 x 10
    99 x 15
    99 x 15

Abs
    Mixture of stuff using a weighted ball

29th July
    Cals 2,591
    Carb 169
    Fat 120
    Protein 200

30th July - Worked out in the morning, felt sleepy but very energised afterwards.
    Pull up (assisted)
    132lb x 10
    110lb x 15
    110lb x 15

Incline Press (smith machine rack)
    (bar)0 x 15
    22lb x 10
    44lb x15
    44lb x 15

BOR
    22lb x 15
    44lb x 6
    66lb x 15
    66lb x 15

Db Standing/Shoulder Press
    8lb x 6
    13lb x 6
    17lb x 12
    22lb x 15
    26lb x 15
    26lb x 15

Dips (Assisted)
    110lb x 6
    66lb x 15
    66lb x 15

202.4lb this morning, off to do last day of deload

31 July last deload workout

Squat
    44 x 12
    66 x 6
    132 x 15
    132 x 15

Deadlift
    44 x 6
    66 x 10
    132 x 15
    132 x 15

Db curls
    13 x 10
    22 x 10
    22 x 15
    22 x 15

Calf Raise
    77 x 10
    99 x 15
    99 x 15

Abs
    Mixture of stuff using a weighted ball

I finished off with some boxing, which really gets you sweating

2nd August 203.8lb

2245 cals
    76g fat
    173g carbs
    207g protein

First workout A of the 2nd cycle (I did do 3 weeks, then was sick for almost 2 weeks in May, so started again)

Pull ups
    5 (11lb) x 6
    5 (11lb) x 2
    5 (11lb) x 2
    5 (11lb) x 2
    These felt the best form I have done so far

Seated cable row
    50 (110lb) x 6
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2

Incline Press
    50 (110lb) x 6
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2
    Felt really good, could have done more but left it at that - i realised after that the incline was one peg lower than normal, it felt more natural - I will leave it at that incline for this cycle

Military Press
    40 (88lb) x 6
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2

Dips
    BW (203.8lb) x 6
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    These felt really good, the best form I have done them. I could have done more. I will do more warm up sets at BW or look at adding weight

I went into the gym feeling lethargic, my legs felt like lead. I left work at 4pm got to the gym at 5:30 and was dreading the workout, once I got going it was one of the best so far.

I meet some old friends for a party on Saturday, they couldn't believe how much I had changed shaped, which felt good I must admit, even proud. Funny as they used to workout years ago when I didn't, now their the out of shape ones...

3rd August

200.8lb

I've based my cals at 2735 a day, I no longer add the 50 mins walking a day I do as exercise (for 5 days now)

Holiday in 3 weeks
    Last edited by Bradruss; 08-03-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    If you weighed 100kg at 6'3" and about 10% BF you'd stand out in most places. Quite a lofty goal and like OR said one that is very personal and specific to you.

And just a little math to put that into perspective:
    Right now you're 200lb @ ~20% BF. That's 160lb lean weight and 40lb fat.
    Goal of 220lb @ 10% would be ~200lb lean weight and ~20lb fat.

To gain 40lb of muscle and lose 20lb of fat is a long term goal. Good luck with your program and achieving your goals.
    That's probably one of the best breakdowns I've seen in a while and really puts in it prospective the true nature of a lot of peoples goals.

Brad - Welcome aboard and goodluck on the relatively long journey you've started. Great job on your SQ and DL progress. As far as your chins go I would suggest getting off the machine and started working with your own BW asap. If you can't do full chins yet, do a jump assist and add a static hold for as long as you can hold it on the way down, and do it again. That's generally how I climb a plateau, and has seemed to work pretty well so far. Anyway congrats on the progress and keep up the work man.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMoberg View Post
    That's probably one of the best breakdowns I've seen in a while and really puts in it prospective the true nature of a lot of peoples goals.

Brad - Welcome aboard and goodluck on the relatively long journey you've started. Great job on your SQ and DL progress. As far as your chins go I would suggest getting off the machine and started working with your own BW asap. If you can't do full chins yet, do a jump assist and add a static hold for as long as you can hold it on the way down, and do it again. That's generally how I climb a plateau, and has seemed to work pretty well so far. Anyway congrats on the progress and keep up the work man.
    Thanks ZMoberg, I'll give the BW pull ups a go. sets of 6 reps then 3 x 2 before I fail.

3rd August cals
    Cals 2,012
    Carbs 174
    Fat 38 (need to look at some food to up the fat)
    Protein 209

Workout B this morning

Weigh 201lb

Squat
    44lb x 6
    88lb x 6
    132lb x 6
    187lb x 6 PB!
    187lb x 2
    187lb x 2
    187lb x 2

Deadlift
    44lb x 6
    88lb x 2
    132lb x 6
    176lb x 6
    220lb x 1
    231lb x 6 PB!
    231lb x 2
    231lb x 2
    231lb x 2

Calf Raise
    44lb x 6
    88lb x 6
    132lb x 6
    181lb x 6 PB
    181lb x 2
    181lb x 2
    181lb x 2

Concentration Curl
    8lb x 6 - lol like paper
    13lb x 6
    22lb x 6
    26lb x 6
    30lb x 6
    30lb x 2
    30lb x 2
    30lb x 2

Abs
    Different stuff with weighted ball

Really good work, with lots of personal best lifts. Concentration curls felt strange, these are new on this cycle to me, the cluster reps felt really good, like I had found the form, so I'll stick with them.

I've put in the working sets, in case anyone reads this and see if anything is wrong with what I'm doing..
    Last edited by Bradruss; 08-04-2010 at 06:40 AM.

6th Aug 2010

Cals 2466
    Fat 82g
    Carbs 229g
    Protein 219g

Weighed 203.6lb morning of 7th

Workout A

Went straight onto the Pull up, tried my own BW and did 2, this was really hard, and disappointing.

Pull up

50 x 6
    30 x 6
    BW x 2
    5 (11lb) x 6
    5 (11lb) x 2
    5 (11lb) x 2
    5 (11lb) x 2

Seated row

20 x 6
    30 x 6
    50 x 6
    50 x 6
    50 (110lb) x 6
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2
    50 (110lb) x 2

Machine was faulty and could not go above 50, so did a few sets at 50

Dips - felt fantastic, really good.

BW (203lb)x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2

Military Press

10 x 6
    20 x 6
    30 x 6
    40 (88lb) x 6
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2

Incline Press

0 x 6
    10 x 6
    20 x 6
    40 x 6
    50 x 2 Stopped and went back to 40 to do some control sets as was at failure, I guess doing this last I was tired.
    40 (88lb) x 6
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2
    40 (88lb) x 2

All in all a mediocre workout, my routine was all messed up, doing the pull ups and failing knocked me a bit, I will look at how to improve these, as ZMoberg advised I'll try the negative ones and just keep at them, I guess the only way to get better at them is to do them.

I'm liking the change in my upper body, triceps, shoulders and lats taking shape. I can see some abs coming through. I'll keep plugging away as I really enjoy this routine.

Weight 200.8lb

Did and hour of pilates this morning.

Squats tomorrow

9th August

Weight 200.6lb

Squat
    20 x 6
    40 x 6
    60 x 6
    80 x 6
    90 (198lb) x 6 PB!
    90 (198lb) x 2
    90 (198lb)x 2
    90 (198lb) x 2

This was tough, but felt a good achievement, personal best 90KG

Deadlift
    11 x 6
    21 x 6
    51 x 6
    71 x 6
    91 x 6
    101 (222lb) x 6
    101 (222lb) x 2
    101 (222lb) x 2
    101 (222lb) x 2

I did not go to 105kg as on my last workout, my middle back was little tight after last week, so I wanted to work on my form, driving from the heels more, which I did and felt good.

Calf Raise
    44lb x 6
    88lb x 6
    132lb x 6
    181lb x 6
    181lb x 2
    181lb x 2
    181lb x 2

Concentration Curl
    6 x 6
    8 x 6
    10 x 6
    12 x 6
    30lb x 6
    30lb x 2
    30lb x 2
    30lb x 2

Tried 16kg but stopped after 2 reps, too heavy and poor form.

ABS
    Some weighted sit ups, less than normal as tired and time was against me (yesterdays Pilates did some core work)
    Last edited by Bradruss; 08-09-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Garage Lifter
    Doing really well Brad & congrats on the PRs