The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please?

I have been maintaining a journal for the last year or so and during that time I managed to get my fat ass down from 205lbs (unknown bodyfat - just fat lol) to 171.5lbs (12.5% bodyfat).

My original goal was to push down to 10%, but after 12+ months of getting my weight down I've decided that it's all getting a bit draining and I need to focus on gaining some lean muscle as once I cut down I realised there wasn't much there (it's amazing when you are fat, how you kid yourself you have a ton of muscle under there).

I've spent the last 15 weeks or so with Shelby Starnes as my diet coach and most of my progress has actually been made during this window and am sticking with him for my new phase - a lean bulk.

I'm quietly confident that I should be able to maintain my current level of leanness because with the very low carb plan I would tend to stick with it for anywhere between 7-10 days but then fall off for the wagon2-3 days and eat TONS. This type of inconsistency has meant it took me longer to get lean.

With the new plan, I still have low carb days and some cardio to do, but I get to enjoy some high and med carb days and I feel confident about being more consistent with this place which you never know.. might even mean my overal calorie intake over a given month isn't miles away from what it is. But we'll see.

So my main goal is to get back to focusing on strength (I'm weak as hell right now) and to put on some quality lean muscle without putting on much bodyfat - hence a lean bulk.

I have a vacation on July 24th, so I am gonna do a mini 2 week cut either side of it, but apart from that it's lean bulk/gain strength through to summer 2011.

The overall plan is:

• full body weights, 3 times a week
    • 2 hours cardio a week
    • 2 high carb days, 1 medium carb day and 4 low carb days

So, a bit like this:

• Mon - weights: full body (high carb)
    • Tues – 10min intervals + 45min medium cardio(low carb)
    • Weds - weights: full body (high carb)
    • Thurs - off (low carb)
    • Fri - weights: full body (med carb)
    • Sat – 10min intervals + 45min medium cardio(low carb)
    • Sun - off (low carb)

Wish me luck
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good to see you following a path that will hopefully make you far happier, Dan. You've got the drive and determination, the consistency will bring results.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Monday 14th June

Monday was an awesome day, my first high carb day for a LONG time. Ok, well when I was slipping I was eating very high carb days, but I mean a proper high carb day on the plan

I hit it 100%, although I shifted my post workout carbs (normally Opticen) into my next meal (an hour after training) so I could have some carbs with my early evening meal (6pm)

Looked like this:

Meal 1

75g Quaker Oats
    300ml half fat milk
    1 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)

Meal 2
    1 x Apple
    1 x Novus Protein bar

Meal 3
    Beef Steak 150g
    Rice (125g) +1 Oat Cake
    1 cup Veg

Meal 4
    Beef Steak 150g
    Rice (125g)
    1 cup Veg

Meal 5 (pre workout)
    2.5 x weetabix
    100ml s/s milk

Meal 6 (post workout)
    2 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)

Meal 7
    150g chicken
    250g sweet potatoes
    2 cups veg

This was PURE HEAVEN!

Training went like this.

1. Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90KG
    2. Flat Barbell Bench Press - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x 7 @ 60KG (OH MY GOD, THIS SUCKS SO SO BAD)
    3. Elevated Split Squat - 3 x 10 (lots of rest pausing going on)
    4. Lat Pull Down Band Pull Aparts - 3 x 15
    5 a .DB Bicep Curls - 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8 @ 15KG DBS
    5 b. Bar Roll Outs - 3 x 6

We supersetting the last 2 exercises and my main focus was my form, I want to build a good foundation of strength with really solid form.

We onnly took 1:30 rest periods inbetween sets so it was reasonably tiring.

Oh and normally exercise 4 would be DB Rows, but I am struggling with some elbow tendonitis (I think from too much chinning) so I am laying off stuff that causes me pain - mainly db rows and chin ups. Sucks but it;s the right things to do.

Today (Tuesday) is a low carb day which I feel SO good about hitting 100% because of the nice high carb day yesterday!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

GL on the new venture Daniel! I am looking forward to watchin!

Wish you the best with these new plans and any future endeavors Mr Clough!!

Cheers peeps, so far this week I have just felt SO much happier - I love it.

Tuesday 15th June

No training today which was a bit lame. I really should have gotten some cardio in as I am away Friday and all weekend on a bachelor party and it's gonna kinda **** up the week. So front loading my week with activity would have been the smart thing to do

As for diet, low carb 100%.

100g Low Fat Greek yogurt
    0.75 x Granola Bar
    1.5 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)
    3g fish oils

100g Low Fat Greek yogurt
    0.75 x Granola Bar
    1.5 scoop Nitrean (mixed in water)
    3g fish oils

Chicken Breast (150g)
    1 cup Veg
    1.5 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

Chicken Breast (150g)
    1 cup Veg

2 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)

gammon
    2 cup vegetables

The plan is to get some cardio in Weds, Thurs and super early Fri morning (we leave at 9am) so I can go into the long weekend with 2 hours behind me and then I'll just relax for 3 days and get back on it for Monday.

Looking forward to a high carb/lifting Weds

Awesome stuff buddy, welcome back! Good luck with this new journey, we'll all be here for all the great progress man.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Cheers Mark, I seem to be a different person following this plan

Weds 16th June

High carb day today and diet was a bit off to be honest. Not in a cheating way, I just I didn't get the right amount of meals in and I didn't count my calories or macros as closely as I normally do. Overall though they were definately under what they should be, which is not neccessarily a bad thing considering I have 3 straight days off training and eating this weekend (bachelor party!)

Went like this:

Meal 1
    75g Quaker Oats
    300ml half fat milk

Meal 2
    1 x Apple
    Novus Protein bar

Meal 3 (Lunch out with friend)
    1 x Chicken Breast
    Tomato based sauce
    Fries
    Veg

Meal 4 - POST WORKOUT
    1 serving Opticen
    1 Banana

Meal 5
    200g Lean Beef Mince
    Half marrow
    small amount of cheese

Training was also a mixed bag. It didn't feel as intense as it should have which I am putting down to the rest between sets being a little long and also I had to switch chin ups for some blast strap rows due to elbow tendonitis which are not really that intense. Plus, I am still getting used to some of the new movements and especially with stuff like deadlift, I wanna take it SLOW as to not screw up my back or anything. Once I get going and get chins ups back in I think it will feel better.

Looked like this:

Foam Rolling & Dynamic Warm up - 20 mins

1. Barbell Hip thrust - 1 x 10 @ 60KG, 2 x 10 @ 70KG, 1 x 8 @ 70KG (up 10Kg from last week)
    2. Deadlifts - 70kg - 3 X 10 @ 70kg (up 10Kg from last week)
    3. Blast Strap Rows - 3 x 10 @ BW
    4. DB Bench - 3 x 10, 10, 8 @ 22.5KG DBS (better quality reps and more reps than last time)
    5a. Strict Lateral Raises - 2 x 12 @ 7.5KG DBS
    5b. Posture sit up - 2 x 8 @ BW

And thats it.

I am typing this after hammering out 60 mins of fasted cardio (mixture of intervals and medium pace cardio) and it's a low carb day. Feeling great to have that cardio under my belt by 9am.

So, wow the stag (bachelor) party was pretty crazy. The weekend was mostly spent drinking beer, eating bad food and watching football - good times

I've also made a decision today to return to cutting

I kinda feel a bit bad for keep changing my mind because I tend to switch my goals about too often, but I'm being forced into this one a little. My elbow tendonitis is still causing me a lot of pain both outside and inside the gym and I'm pretty much in a position where doing any pulling movements is giving me a real problem and just prolonging the tendonitis. And, without being able to do any pull up movements, it kinda seems a bit silly to have high carb days and be shooting for weight gain.

So, I'm just going to skip the pulling movements for a combo of pushing/pulling rehab movements and spend the next 4.5 weeks (what I have left till vacation) really pushing to cut as much weight as possible. I was gonna do the 2 weeks previous as a cut anyway, so it's just starting early and the last couple of weeks of eating a bit more and going on the stag do have gotten me feeling like I can easily handle a consistent 4.5 weeks of cutting.

So, it's back to 5 hours cardio a week and mostly low carb days I reckon.. I'll check in with Shelby but pretty sure he'll just put me back on the last plan.

Up at 6am tomorrow for intervals and steady state then

Tuesday 22nd June

Tuesday was ok. I didn't train which was a bit lame, but I was right back to low carb and I skippeda meal to take into account not getting into the gym. Not the right way to do things I know.

Day looked like this:

0.5 x Granola bar
    1.75 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
    2g fish oils

0.5 x Granola bar
    1.75 scoops Nitrean (mixed in water)
    2g fish oils

Chicken Breast (125g)
    2 cups Veg
    1 tbl p/b

Chicken Breast (125g)
    2 cups Veg
    1 tbl p/b

2 pork suasages
    2 cup veg

I also went for an hours walk with the girlfriend and dog, so at least I got moving about a little.

I weighed myself this morning and I was 178 :god: BEar in mind that is from 2 weeks of eating more (still clean) and 3 days of total badness on that bachelors party, so my goal is to really go for it and get sub 170 in 4 weeks time. It'll mean 5 hours minumum of cardio and NO slipping on the diet and no more excuses about not getting into the gym.

Today (Weds) the goal is to do 60 min weights and 30 min cardio. I'll need to follow that with 4:30 in 4 days which will be tough but doable!

Wednesday 23rd June

It's amazing how some consecutive low carb days affect you.

On the plus side, I look tighter and have dropped 4 lbs. On the neg side I am starting to feel tired and a bit drained. I just gotta fight it though, I wanna string together 5 or 6 in a row, they are much needed after the weekend.

Wednesday was a goooooooooooood day.

I hit my low carb numbers 100% which felt really good, considering I was eating 200g chicken and veg whilst my girlfriend tucked into a prawn curry, mushroom rice and nann bread. Her portion was like 4 times mine. ****, this sometimes gets to me, but this is my decision to be like this so I can't get pissed at people around me that don't share my goals.

Training was really good too.

I got in early and nailed some cardio on the rower.

4 mins @ 2:10/500M
    6 intervals of 30 secs @ 1:40/500M and 90 secs @ 2:05/500M
    4 mins @ 2:00/500M

Total - 20 min

This was tough, literally looking like someone has thrown a bucket of water over me lol.. Plus probably not the smartest thing to do before a weights workout, but I'm behind on cardio for this week so gotta man up and get it in.

Weights workout went like this:

1. Barbell Hip Thrust - 4 x 12 @ 75KG (I think it was 75, it might have been 70)
    2. 3 x Medicine Ball Slam - 3 x 30 , 60M medium sprint (chin up substitute because of elbow tendonitis)
    3. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 75KG
    4. DB Bench - 2 x 12 @ 22.5KG Dbs, 1 x 9 @ 22.5KG DBS
    5a. Strict Lateral Raises - 2 x 12 @ 7.5KG DBS
    5b. Posture sit up - 2 x 8 @ BW

Thurs 24th June

Awesome, awesome, awesome day.

Low carb day was hit nicely. I did have a slightly non standard evening meal which hat a bit higher fat in it than usual, but I skipped the meal before so calories would be a touch under and maybe protein a bit low but in the grand scheme of things, very good. Looked like this:

Meal 1
    0.5 granola bar
    1.5 scoops nitrean (in water)
    2 fish oil

Meal 2
    0.5 granola bar
    1.5 scoops nitrean (in water)
    2 fish oil

Meal 3
    Chicken Breast (125g)
    2 cups Veg
    1 tbl p/b

Meal 4
    Chicken Breast (125g)
    2 cups Veg

Meal 5
    2 chicken thighs (with skin on)
    Salad with olive oil and sunflower seeds

And about 3 coke zeros to keep me sane lol.

Man, I smashed a hell of a cardio session too - 60 min.

Stationary Cycle - 15 mins:
    2 mins @ 95 reps/min
    6 x 30 sec @ 120rep/min, 90 sec @ 95 rep/min
    1 min @ 95 reps/min

Cross Trainer - 20 mins

Skipping - 10 mins

Cross Trainer - 15 mins

This morning I weighed 174. I'm strangely motivated to hit 167lbs right now, which would be just under the 12 stone mark which would be a bit barrier for me. I'm not even sure if that's possible in 4 weeks, but I'm gonna give it my best go!

Found the new journal...you can't hide for long

Good luck with your cut again. Maybe the brief bulk will help with the motivation, kind of like a vacation.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Cheers peeps, so far this week I have just felt SO much happier - I love it.

I've also made a decision today to return to cutting
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough in 5 days View Post
    So, I am back to bulking and sooooooooooo much happier!

Just playing Daniel. GL on the new( old) journey. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this with renewed motivation.

OffRoad - Glad you found me

Borracho - lol, I hear you on th switching goals stuff. To be honest I've been pretty good at staying to true to the one goal (fat loss) for ages now and since my decision to switch to more of a lean gain I was feeling great and would be still on it had it not be for the pain in my elbows pretty much stopping me doing ANY pulling movements. So I figure, just get focused on a goal where my limitations are irrelevant.

Friday 25th June

A good day. My diet was pretty random as I was eating out (Japanese) so I planned it all in fitday to ensure I would keep within 1600 calories and even though it came out lower protein and higher fat than it should, carbs were still very low and I was within 1,600 AND I felt like I ate something decent so pretty good going really.

Training was also pretty good. Strength is starting to b affected again from the low carb days on the run and lots of cardio, but it is what it is. Those 2 weeks of high and med carb days gave me a taster of what is to come later on, so I can be patient.

1. Front Squat - 1 x 8 @ 70KG, 3 x 12 @ 60KG
    2. Rowing Intervals - 2:00 @ 2:10/500M and 3 intervals of 90/30
    3. Single Leg Squat to bench - 3 x 12 @ BW
    4. Floor Press - 50KG - 3 x 10
    5 a. Hanging Leg raises - 2 x 8
    5 b. Crunches - 2 x 8

Even though not the toughest looking workout, rest period were literally 30 secs to 1 min so it was reasonably intense.

Still weighing 174, hopefully I can get that down to 172 by Monday with a good weekend. (It's 9:46am and I've already done a good 45min cardio and about to go for a walk with the dog and not ate anything so it's starting well )

Have a good weekend guys!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    What do your macros look like for a low and high carb day? I see you've fallen victim to coke zero. I made a thread about them yesterday. Novus bars are life savers on low carb days. Nice to see some hard dieting in here keep it up, it will be so worth it!
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Not a tough looking workout? Are you kidding? As soon as I read 3x12 on front squats I thought, "That's gotta be tough with any kind of weight." Nice work Daniel.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Banned
    I saw the new title in your sig Dan and thought I'd check how our co-captain was doing.

At first I felt good for you because I've picked up comments you've left around the board about cutting for so long and I thought "Yes, somebody give the man a donut! He's finally switching to a higher calorie diet!"

Then I scrolled down... Sorry to hear you're back on the cut again. 12% body-fat is still pretty low. Have you considered maintaining around there for awhile, gaining some strength and then going back to cutting? I'm very impressed with your discipline at sticking to the plan, I'd have wanted a break in there just to stay sane.

Thanks JC.

To be honest, I had a good week and a half with some med and high carb days and then a 3 day bachelor party, so I consider that a bit of a break. And, it just seems silly to get my eat on when I cannot even do a pulling movement!

I just wanna get sub 170 for July 24th (vacation) and I will feel awesome!

I'll be eating a donut on my vacation for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    What do your macros look like for a low and high carb day? I see you've fallen victim to coke zero. I made a thread about them yesterday. Novus bars are life savers on low carb days. Nice to see some hard dieting in here keep it up, it will be so worth it!
    I think carbs were at about 300, protein 280 and fat pretty low. I think. Bear in mind I only count the grams in the lean source of each macro so there are some other calories going on.

Yeah, diet coke or coke zero feels like a treat! novus bars too!

Cheers matey, appreciate you popping in!

Weekend wasnt good. I ate too much on Saturday, which was a stupid thing to do - sunday was ok though and only 45 min cardio over the weekend as a whole - rubbish.

I spent Sunday and most of today pretty demotivated. I hate feeling like this. I'm not even exagerating when I say I just feel like punching a ****ing wall lol I just keep yo yo'ing and find it SO hard to put together a decent level of consistency 9more than say 7-10 days) and as a result it's taking me an age to make progress others do in a reasonablty time frame.

Not even sure what the answer is. The plan is solid, it's just me - I gotta find the key to sticking to the plan and not falling off.

If I can string together a patch of consistenty between now and the 24th I can go on holiday sub 170 and feel aWESOME. I know I can.

Or..

I can yo yo and go on holiday at 176ish and be pissed.

The choice is mine and it's mine to throw away or nail.

The only good thing about the weekend is we made some brilliant progress on the new atlarge site, I'll post some screenshots soon for some opinions from you guys!

Monday 28th July

Good start to the week – low carb day 100% and I got a fairly decent session in at the gym. It’s a back off week this week and what with me having to also lay off pulling movements, workouts feel a bit lame at the moment, but at the end of the day cardio and keeping calories low is the most important things right now – I can worry about eating and progression from September!

Training session looked like this:

Row – 20 min
    - warm up - 4 min @ 2:10/500M
    - intervals – 6 x 30 sec @ 1:40/500M, 90 sec @ 2:10/500M
    - Steady state – 6 min @ 1:55/500M

Romanian Deadlift – 1 x 8 @ 105KG, 3 x 12 @ 60KG
    Bench Press – 3 x 8 @ 50KG
    Elevated Split Squat – 3 x 10 @ 5KG DBS

Row – 10 min @ 2:00/500M

I am shooting for 45 min cardio per day, so I felt short here but I also cycled to the gym and back which is a total of 20 min so I just about made it 

Tuesday 29th July

Ok, a bit premeature as it’s 5:30pm as I write this, but a solid day. Weighed 174lbs this morning and feeling good.

I skipped morning cardio and hit the gym at lunch and got through 60 min.

stationary cycle - 10 min
    cross-trainer – 20 min
    skipping/punchbag – 20 min
    cross-trainer – 10 min

And low carb is nice and on track.

Feeling nicely motivated right now....

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Good job on staying on track with low carb days. They get easier with time, don't they?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Borracho - lol, I hear you on th switching goals stuff. To be honest I've been pretty good at staying to true to the one goal (fat loss) for ages now and since my decision to switch to more of a lean gain I was feeling great and would be still on it had it not be for the pain in my elbows pretty much stopping me doing ANY pulling movements. So I figure, just get focused on a goal where my limitations are irrelevant.
    I hear you...I've been lucky and not had any serious injuries that have limited my abilities as of late...

Keep up the hard work Daniel!