The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Rag on the Mags #5 - Power: June/July 2010 - New Article!

'Rag on the Mags' is our brand new feature in which we will to review the current crop of Muscle and Powerlifting publications as they come out each month, before they hit the newsstands.

The basic idea here is that we will present you with the CliffsNotes® of the pertinent info, allowing you to determine if it’s worthwhile for you to run a comb through your hair, head into civilization, and plunk down roughly six-bucks for the issue.

We present to you the June/July 2010 issue of Power!

READ HERE
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Great write up Steve!

Several good articles, informative stuff. I think Mark is well on his way to having a premium magazine

Some retro articles about PL history might add to the flavor as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Great write up Steve!

Several good articles, informative stuff. I think Mark is well on his way to having a premium magazine

Some retro articles about PL history might add to the flavor as well.
    I was seriously impressed with what they have done (and I'm not easily impressed). I plan to get the back issues right away. They also offer a reduced-price web version, which is prettty progressive (although I am a diehard tree-killing, paper-loving traditionalist). Let's hope they keep going in the same direction.

If we get both Power and an improved PLUSA, that a real win.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    Totally agree Steve...BTW I really like the new articles

On an editorial note I find the women's column a farse and does not "realign the stereotype". He poses questions that no one would ask a male lifter. Can't we just have a women's colum that focuses on strong a@@ women and how they train not what they look like. Climbing down

Raw Elite classification in 3 weight classes

raw squat: 380 lbs
    raw bench: 270 lbs
    raw deadlift: 430 lbs
    raw total: 1,080 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by NUCadet97 View Post
    Totally agree Steve...BTW I really like the new articles

On an editorial note I find the women's column a farse and does not "realign the stereotype". He poses questions that no one would ask a male lifter. Can't we just have a women's colum that focuses on strong a@@ women and how they train not what they look like. Climbing down
    Nice to get a different perspective and I see your point. I suspect it comes down to an analysis of their readership. How many serious female powerlifters read an issue of Power? The obviously felt that there were more male readers that would prefer a story about a hot lifter girl.

Perhaps they will read your comments here (I have been contacted by some of the writers that I have mentioned in these reviews with thanks, hate mail or questions on where to find work, so these things do get read) and devote at least a two page spread to an informative article on a female lifter?

I guess the question is, would guys read female training articles at all? Or would they be writing for you and a handful of women?

Nice to get a different perspective and I see your point. I suspect it comes down to an analysis of their readership. How many serious female powerlifters read an issue of Power? The obviously felt that there were more male readers that would prefer a story about a hot lifter girl.

Perhaps they will read your comments here (I have been contacted by some of the writers that I have mentioned in these reviews with thanks, hate mail or questions on where to find work, so these things do get read) and devote at least a two page spread to an informative article on a female lifter?

I guess the question is, would guys read female training articles at all? Or would they be writing for you and a handful of women?
    I agree with you that for sure there are not as many of us serious powerlifting females as there are the guys, and don't get me wrong I to fall into the catorgory of sometimes wanting something pretty to look at, (TIC) I mean why else would any self respecting powerlifter pick up a muscle mag (Todd Duffee on the cover had me getting MF this week).....but Laura Phelps does sit on their "board" and as the strongest female powerlifter of all time and I would sure rather read an article crafted by her than fluff on a hot girl who lifts.

I would hope the guys if given the chance to read an article about a truley strong girl would read it but I understand the mentatility. Which is wierd because at every meet I have ever competed at the guys are AWESOME always helping/cheering and pushing the women. Maybe they could alternate every other issue one for the serious girls and one about hot girls really for the guys. I could compromise

Raw Elite classification in 3 weight classes

raw squat: 380 lbs
    raw bench: 270 lbs
    raw deadlift: 430 lbs
    raw total: 1,080 lbs

I was seriously impressed with what they have done (and I'm not easily impressed). I plan to get the back issues right away. They also offer a reduced-price web version, which is prettty progressive (although I am a diehard tree-killing, paper-loving traditionalist). Let's hope they keep going in the same direction.

I'm hoping they offer a web subscription at some point cause I can't find them at all up here and international is kinda pricey.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

i just got the digital version, just tried out one issue to see if I like it, only $5.
    after some initial technical hurdles with download access, the Support folks at Power were quick to respond to all my emails and resolved the problem.

for hard copy lovers, you can always print what you want.

I e-mailed them asking if there was going to be a digital subscription service, and I was told to check back later this week!
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

If someone gets a copy of a digital version, let us know their impressions.