The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Does this happen at your gym?

Almost everytime I am in the gym the same couple of guys just drop the weight to the ground when they are done. These guys are about 5'10 and weigh from 165 to 180 and they drop 40-45 pound dumbells when they finish doing flat press. Then when I go to do curls or shoulder warm ups the dumbell are all loose and f 'd up. When they are done they just walk away and don't even put them back.
    I really want to say something, but I don't want to be a dick. I mean when I do the 90's I still lower them down to my knees or to the sides on the floor, I just don't get it.
    Peace

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I think it's universal. Every gym has em.

I mean, hell, I'm at 175#, but I can control a 40# dumbbell without an issue.

It's to get attention. They think they're awesome and badass so they drop the weights. The gym I go to has a few that like to do that with deadlifts.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    It's to get attention. They think they're awesome and badass so they drop the weights. The gym I go to has a few that like to do that with deadlifts.
    im only 180 and i like to drop deadlifts (hands still attached of course but i dont lower it slowly) And i dont think it should be a problem. I dont want to do the negative of a deadlift, and it is a good way for me to get hurt.

However dropping dumbbells is a different story because it actually does mess up the weights, depending on the tight of db, plus there is no purpose unless you have a failed rep on flat db press.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    im only 180 and i like to drop deadlifts (hands still attached of course but i dont lower it slowly) And i dont think it should be a problem. I dont want to do the negative of a deadlift, and it is a good way for me to get hurt.

However dropping dumbbells is a different story because it actually does mess up the weights, depending on the tight of db, plus there is no purpose unless you have a failed rep on flat db press.
    Oh no I put the weight down hard. I'm talking lift the weight(with straps most of the time no less) and then just letting go and letting it crash to the floor(yes even with the straps on)
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    40 pounders...that's one thing.

90+ maybe.

Flat bench with 40 lbs makes me LOL
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

This only happens in gyms where the management doesn't care about their equipment.

I guess I'm the gym monitor here, because I go out of my way to tell people to rack their weights, don't drop em, and put your damn shirt back on you nasty mofo...I don't want your staph infection or ringworm. I've yet to have anyone tell me to eff off. A few have asked me if I was serious to which I typically reply "I aint your mom and I'm not about to pick up your *****"... but they either never come back or don't do it again. Either way I win.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

I used to drop dumbells (not to show off, but because they were heavy). I'm working on trying to not do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I guess I'm the gym monitor here, because I go out of my way to tell people to rack their weights, don't drop em, and put your damn shirt back on you nasty mofo...I don't want your staph infection or ringworm. I've yet to have anyone tell me to eff off. A few have asked me if I was serious to which I typically reply "I aint your mom and I'm not about to pick up your *****"... but they either never come back or don't do it again. Either way I win.
    Before I start my workout, I end up having to re-rack weights. Not because people didn't rack them, but because I'm so anal retentive about it, I can't have two different sized weights on the same rack.

Wannabebig Member
    I use to drop weights all the time.. DB's and when I deadlift... why? Because they are heavy... But I've been trying not to do it at the gym I go to now (only because I'm paying for it and I don't wanna waste my money at a place that has half of the weights being dropped). But then again, the gym I go to now has a lot nicer equipment and it will last waaay longer than the gym I use to go to (my school lol)

But ye, if I go to my school's gym, I will drop weights.. Why? Because everyone does it and no one cares... If you break something, oh well they will get a new one. 2 people broke the same mirror about 3 weeks from each other from dropping the t-bar down and letting the weight fly off and hit the mirror.. And no one cared, not even the coach. Also... A guy was powercleaning and once he got up the last rep (after a few tries) he threw it to the floor and the parts of the barbell that holds the weights flew off and almost hit 2 people in the head (he maxed out at around 300 pounds)... Now talk about not caring about the equipment or others!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghard78 View Post
    These guys are about 5'10 and weigh from 165 to 180
    You're killing me.... Although I don't really do dumbbell flat bench, but when I do it's at a much higher weight than 40lbs and I do pick the weights up and return them to where I got them from.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

if you ask them politely to stop dropping the weights as it could damage them im sure they would listen, a lot of new people see bigger guys lifting heavier weights and dropping them and they think its alright to do it, they just need educating. And why do some people find it funny there lifting 40 lbs on flat dumbell, everyone has to start somewhere right.
    ďThe worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    Before I start my workout, I end up having to re-rack weights. Not because people didn't rack them, but because I'm so anal retentive about it, I can't have two different sized weights on the same rack.
    I'm the exact same way. I re-rack the trees between sets. It annoys the hell out of me, and it gives me something to do. You should see the stares I give people when they put a plate in the wrong spot after I spent a few minutes reorganzing them. One of these days somebody's going to call my bluff and beat my face in.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

My whole gym is filled with "wannabe's", if they are not throwing dumbells on the floor, they're executing an exercise completely wrong or they're talking more than they are lifting or they walk around like they just won Mr. O. after benching 160 pounds..The funny thing is though, if they need the dumbells or machine or whatever you are using it's always: "Excuse me..excuse me (yeah two times i tend to ignore them the first), are you almost done please?" Uhm..No.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    if you ask them politely to stop dropping the weights as it could damage them im sure they would listen, a lot of new people see bigger guys lifting heavier weights and dropping them and they think its alright to do it, they just need educating. And why do some people find it funny there lifting 40 lbs on flat dumbell, everyone has to start somewhere right.
    Yeah I would never make fun of anyone using a particular weight, I just think you should control the weight not have the weight control you. Dropping the weight is only part of it and leaving it on the floor when you are done is what gets me.
    I actually laugh a a little to myself when guys are intimidated by the size of people or the weight they move. I mean, I am 5' 11' 205 pounds and can move some good weight, but in my MMA class I can get submitted by this 16 year old kid that weighs 140lbs and has never lifted weights. It's scary
    Peace
    Last edited by ghard78; 06-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    my gym discourages dropping the weights, i mean, it happens-infact yesterday a guy lost control and had to eject. it was really funny because everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at the guy, then everyone started razzing him (especially the older guys because it was a young guy who dropped the weight). but at the same time there was a guy who was given his membership fees back because he was 'agressivly' dropping the weights on every set (and i'm sure he broke a few).
    anyways, i think it should be common courtesy not to drop the weights if you can handle it (but hey-I'm canadian).

Quote Originally Posted by reginaguy View Post
    my gym discourages dropping the weights, i mean, it happens-infact yesterday a guy lost control and had to eject. it was really funny because everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at the guy, then everyone started razzing him (especially the older guys because it was a young guy who dropped the weight). but at the same time there was a guy who was given his membership fees back because he was 'agressivly' dropping the weights on every set (and i'm sure he broke a few).
    anyways, i think it should be common courtesy not to drop the weights if you can handle it (but hey-I'm canadian).
    So what?

I got a kid the other day with " hey man just to let you know they kicked a guy outta here last week for dropping the weights." " oh hey thanks for the heads up bro."

Bench: Half a subway club
    Squat: to pee
    Deadlift: no thanks

don't let the 12" pythons fool you....i can run way faster scared than you can mad

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    Hahahahaha that made me LOL

Generally at the gym I go to there's only a few guys who drop the dumbbells after a flat bench or rows or something. I go to a college gym though and during the summer, there's literally maybe 1-2 other people in there with me. Plus there's always someone working inside the weight room, cleaning weights etc. It's always a skinny college student but I think people still think he might report them so they are pretty good with all the weights.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Sounds like bad leadership to me. I ran the first franchised World Gym (Macedonia, Ohio) for 5 years and we followed Joe Gold's model for respecting the gym. It was well-known and strictly enforced that if you don't respect the equipment and clean up after yourself, that your gymbag and a refund is handed to you.

I personally told visitor Shawn Ray (in town guest-posing) that he either clean up or get out. I think every serious gym should be like that. Most modern ones tend to be too busy pushing membership sales to spend any time on the floor leading or helping people with their training.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    Most modern ones tend to be too busy pushing membership sales to spend any time on the floor leading or helping people with their training.
    There it is nailed it on the head.

But the members can share some of that responsibility and just "politely" inform the boneheads of some basic etiquette.

Raw Elite classification in 3 weight classes

raw squat: 380 lbs
    raw bench: 270 lbs
    raw deadlift: 430 lbs
    raw total: 1,080 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by cant hit bombz View Post
    I got a kid the other day with " hey man just to let you know they kicked a guy outta here last week for dropping the weights." " oh hey thanks for the heads up bro."

awesome idea, i think im gonna try that. yeah, this definitely happens at my gym and every other one ive been to. the not putting the weights back thing happens but not as much as the weight slamming, which really gets to me for some reason. maybe its the whole attention things behind it, or the lack of respect for the equipment. the dumbells at my gym are the kind with the hex screws and i very often find myself having to twist the plates to get them tight again. not to mention the couple of dumbells that have warped handles now. ive done dumbell presses to the point of failure where my entire arm barely had the energy to hold the weight, and i still bring them down gently and quietly. i just dont get it. i dont care if ur using 20 lbs or 150 lbs dumbells, there is no need to slam the weight down after you are done.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

i see a lot of people doing this with dumbell bench or at least needing help in racking the weight... for some reason its easy for me to bring the weights in lower them to my stomach then sit up and rack the weights...

the one thing i do is on behind the neck dumbell tricep raises (wtf is that exercise called?) i dont want to mess up my shoulder so when i get it in place i usually stand up and swing it up with momentum then lower myself to the bench (in a sitting position) and start my reps then i do swing it over my head and let the weight hit the bench holding it the whole time and after it hits the bench i control it and rack it... i just cant swing it over my head and lower it under control

they do it because because the exercise doesn't work as good if you don't continuously pound the dumbbell until it is as curvy as a horseshoe

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay