The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Run Like Hell! - Newsletter Mini Article

Take a break, sit down, and relax for a minute. Sip on a nice hot cup of tea, and maybe read the paper. Or you can just rip your car up to the drive through of the nearest coffee stand, order up a big fat green tea, and roar off at a million miles a minute listening to death metal, plotting your next dead-lift PR. Whatever works. Just as long as you take some time for Tea!

I know. Weight lifters don't run! Especially if you wanna be big! However, I'm not telling you to run. I'm telling you run like hell!

No going for a leisurely jog or an easy beach laden 5k. I'm talking about something most runners don't know of, never heard of, and will never do or try. It's not running. It's running like hell!

So what the hell is it?

Prowler Sprints

The prowler is a unique type of sled designed for pushing. It has bar placements for the hands to either be placed high, or extremely low, putting the body at an aggressive angle, which brutally attack the hips, hamstrings and core.

It also has pins for Olympic plates to be added to increase the load, increasing the punishment. Sprints behind this masochist tool are usually performed 20 to 40 yards at a time.

The Prowler - Perfect for some Self-Punishment!

Sled Drags

The sled is a flat piece of iron in which you can load weight onto. It's capable of being attached to a tow rope and harness, therefore allowing you to sprint full speed ahead with anywhere from 20-100lbs being slung around behind you.

Sled drags are usually performed with distances ranging from 20 to 60 yards at full effort.

Tire Rolls

Tire rolls are unique, and uniquely brutal. To perform this you need a tire ranging from 500-700lbs. You also need a big husky friend to help you stand it up, unless you're in the bad ass department and can do it on your own.

Once the tire is standing, you'll need about 200 yards of flat street, or 50 yards of slightly vertical feet. From there, you'll push the tire and attempt to reach full speed rolling it down the street attempting to direct it straight. Once you near your desired finish line, you'll sprint around the tire and try to bring it to a stop before you take out a school bus or small house.

Hill Climbs

Hill climbs are probably the easiest to perform because all you need is a hill and ridiculous motivation. Target a hill that gives you an aggressive 40 yards, yet still allows for a 10-15 yard approach to build up speed.

Get your speed and rock that pig!

Running like hell not only helps quad, hip, and hamstring development, but also dramatically aids in fat loss and cardiovascular capacity.

No need to fear muscle loss or looking foolish here.

Run like hell!

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - June 17th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Little mix up with the tea article? LoL.

I would LOVE to get one of those prowlers. I was looking at them a week or two ago when someone mentioned one and I had no idea what it was. Just don't know where I would push it. Maybe up and down the street in front of my house, but I'm not sure if it would be rough on the street/sidewalk. Or if the street/sidewalk might be rough on it... I was thinking of something with wheels that just didn't turn very easily, then I could load it up and push it around the jogging track by my house.

I used to have a job where I had to take stuff off of my truck by hand truck. Let me tell you, THAT can be a work out if you have enough weight on there. I may just get a bunch of bags of concrete or something and load them on my hand truck and run around! Go up and down a flight of stairs... ugh... bad memories of that job now... but I'm serious, I may do that...

You can build a sled out of an old tire. Tom Mutaffis has posted a picture of his. Search the GPP forum for it. Then you won't have to worry about pulling it in the street, other than people looking at you funny. It is cheap and easy to make too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I've been doing most of these and they are really fun.

Make sure to warm up for the hill sprints. I tried them for the first time last week and my calves were sore for 4 days after.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You can build a sled out of an old tire. Tom Mutaffis has posted a picture of his. Search the GPP forum for it. Then you won't have to worry about pulling it in the street, other than people looking at you funny. It is cheap and easy to make too.
    That's a really good idea. Damn... I just got rid of an old tire not too long ago, too.

Oh, and people looking at me funny? I'm used to it.

I really want a prowler.

I've got a couple prowlers at my gym and they are priceless.

I personally use it twice a week and then do sled drag variations a couple other times a week. I wholeheartedly agree that they don't cause muscle loss, but they do greatly increase recovery, conditioning and fat loss.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym