The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Metal Viking IPF squatter

I purchased a Metal IPF Viking squatter last year on EFS.com. I havent really used it much, and with training partners that really dont know gear at all, I havent used it much. I have trouble getting depth.

If anyone uses this suit and knows how to use it well, I could use some info, at the time of buying the suit I was a narrow stance squatter, and since then Ive gotten more used to a wider stance. If I can make it work i'm going to use it, with the extent of using it.
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dr. Subtotal
    I used the normal IPF Squatter since I got it as a hand me down (it was new though). Needless to say, I purchased a Titan Centurion and haven't looked back.

The Viking material is Metal's 2nd gen poly. It's thin, but strong. It'll give a lot of stopping power, meaning don't expect to squat 6" below parallel in it. If you are new to suits, best way is to get the suit on and squat to a barely below parallel box. You need to learn how to sit back (whether it is with a wide or normal stance). If you don't have the V-type, I advise you move your stance in from wide. Use suit slippers and baby powder to get the suit on (and be patient). Just because its hard to get on, doesn't mean it doesn't fit. I'd work with Reverse bands to overload and get used to squatting bigger weights with the same form as a free squat with gear. Then try working in the suit with the straps down to get used to the feel of the suit. It takes work. You can't just throw on a suit and expect to squat 300+ lbs more than your raw squat overnight (despite what Raw zealots claim).

If all else fails, try pulling conventional in it. You're starting to see alot more Metal in single ply deadlift videos.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    I used the normal IPF Squatter since I got it as a hand me down (it was new though). Needless to say, I purchased a Titan Centurion and haven't looked back.

The Viking material is Metal's 2nd gen poly. It's thin, but strong. It'll give a lot of stopping power, meaning don't expect to squat 6" below parallel in it. If you are new to suits, best way is to get the suit on and squat to a barely below parallel box. You need to learn how to sit back (whether it is with a wide or normal stance). If you don't have the V-type, I advise you move your stance in from wide. Use suit slippers and baby powder to get the suit on (and be patient). Just because its hard to get on, doesn't mean it doesn't fit. I'd work with Reverse bands to overload and get used to squatting bigger weights with the same form as a free squat with gear. Then try working in the suit with the straps down to get used to the feel of the suit. It takes work. You can't just throw on a suit and expect to squat 300+ lbs more than your raw squat overnight (despite what Raw zealots claim).

If all else fails, try pulling conventional in it. You're starting to see alot more Metal in single ply deadlift videos.
    Thanks man, I'm not really a usapl lifter, so i dont have to worry about below parallel. I also dont expect to make it work overnight, just seeing if people know how to make it work for them better. I'm anything but a raw zealot
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

Dr. Subtotal
    Really no tricks for making it work better. Just figure some things out first:
    Where should the seems of the hip be on the suit
    How should I carry the bar on my back
    How wide or narrow should my stance be
    What type of knee wrap are you going for (u should use a cast like wrap with that suit---a rebound wrap with a stopping power suit wont be good)
    Am I sitting back far enough and spreading my knees enough
    Can I handle anywhere from 50-200 lbs over my max and not have the bar GM my back lol
    Is my training suitable for wearing a suit at a meet

But first things first. Throw weight on the bar, sit back onto high box. After a few singles, lower the box. If you can't get to the box, increase the weight. Repeat until you are getting to a below parallel box. Do this with the straps down. Get comfortable squatting with the straps down before you go full blast
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...