The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Do you wear training gloves?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - gloves

26 17.93%
  • No - bare hands

111 76.55%
  • Other - please elaborate

8 5.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves or no?

I use gloves when it is cold enough in the basement that it bothers my arthritis, otherwise no. In the Norse myths Thor had a pair of gloves, called his gloves of power, as well as his belt of power, which he used as he found necessary. There is something to this, the Vikings were not weaklings. I most always do not use them, unless the arthritis bothers, then it helps.

well for me, I do wear them for reason of bad blisters to the point where the rip open and bleed and cut me back a couple of days of heavy lifting because i can't grip the bar tight. So yes i do wear them excpet when i do weighted pull ups because they just feel weird.
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

I dunno, my callouses were never really that bad. I do a lot of deadlifting, weighted pullups, power cleans, etc.... you know stuff that would cause callouses, but I don't really get them that bad....at least not enough to feel the need to wear gloves to prevent.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Ahh I guess you're lucky my friend. I just cant figure out how to get rid of calluses i'm not too fond of them.
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    The problem I find with gloves is that it's so difficult to find a matching handbag.
    /end thread right there.

If you're worried about your hands then get some chalk.
    Gloves can be dangerous.
    Last edited by KaMz; 06-29-2010 at 09:36 PM.

I don't wear them, but I read a post a while ago where a surgeon wore them because he didn't want callusses on his hands ruining his feel for the fine instruments he was using. Maybe the only reason I have ever heard to wear gloves...
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Other!

I like to dip my knuckles into a thick sap and then roll them into crushed glass.

I wear a pair of cold weather gloves when I do dead lift or anything where I'm picking up a heavy weight up to my body from the ground. I was getting those calluses but they feel weird and look horrible. I just want the muscle, not the weird do whatever to your body at any cost to get it attitude...

Codeguru

PS- Ok I have a better explaination, dead weight lift, gloves because it pinches my palms. Bench press, no because it's a bench press grip, what's it going to do unless you have paper skin. I guess anything where the fingers are pointing down from the knuckles, gravity is harsh.
    Last edited by Codeguru; 07-03-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Ahh I guess you're lucky my friend. I just cant figure out how to get rid of calluses i'm not too fond of them.
    All mine go away over time. It's kind of impossible for them not to, skin is always falling off your body and being replaced by new cells...

Codeguru

Banned
    come on who voted yes on gloves

what a lifting faux pas

Wannabebig Member
    I voted yes. They're pretty thin, though, and they may be too small, or I dunno, 'cause I'm still getting calluses.

I just don't like having "rough" hands. It's kind of a joke w/people who say it's like I've never done a day's work in all my life -- which couldn't be further from the truth. lol.

And, of course, no woman's ever touched them and been like....."you know.....these are just way too soft.."

Wannabebig New Member
    I voted Yes, because if you don't wear gloves your hand gets damaged and I heard you can get some sort of infection or disease if you don't have gloves.

That's true if you don't wear gloves you will catch the aids.

Seriously outside of powerlifting it really doesn't matter that much. I don't wear gloves, work a physical job, so I am used to calluses. At the same time guys like Dante, Ronnie Coleman, and others wear gloves and it doesn't seem to be holding them back lol. I tend to file my calluses down after deadlifting which annoys my wife when I go through her files but other than that not a big deal.

Ive never used gloves, i like to feel the cold steel in my hands. I do use single loop straps on some heavy lifts.

Wannabebig Member
    I wore gloves when I first started to lift weights because I saw others using it. But after a few weeks of all my teammates wanting to use them, the velcrow ripped and I gave up on the need for them. I started using the chalk my school supplied us with, and now I am able to grip stuff better and hold on to grab better with my hands.

no gloves for me, but i really don't see why you guys care so much that some people use them
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

The only time I wear gloves for working out is when my hands get cold outside or in the basement. Warmer hands make arthritis more comfortable.

I haven't really found any gloves that I think would be good to use handling weights, witih all due respect to Thor(I am nordic remember), who used h is gloves of power when he had a big task at hand.

Being in the lumber business, I get plenty of work without gloves, moving rough lumber. Sometimes I wear gloves for that, I get tired of slivers, you get plenty of them. So all I ever tried for use with weigihts is either leather work gloves or cotton work gloves. I don't care to spend any money on more special gloves.

Quest for IFBB Pro Card The Spartan's Avatar
    Def bare hands, unless straps are needed for maximum overload on the muscles! using straps also takes away from forearm development, so i use straps only when my forearms are tapped! The club that i primarly train in doesnt allow chalk.................so, i use a liquid (no mess) chalk. actually might work better than chalk! lol
    Follow me on facebook http://tiny.cc/thespartan

Todays preparation determines tomorrows achievement

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements AtLarge Nutrition sponsored Athlete

My Journal - The Spartans Quest For IFBB Pro Card Journal

Some of the responses in this thread merit a

Also, no gloves.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Always learning
    I wear gloves but this is because I have to do valve adjustments on a 1 MW generator. I have to do the adjustments within .001 of an inch by feel alone on the intake and exhaust valves.

I only wear gloves for a few exercises though. When I see guys wearing gloves to curl or on a machine I get a little confused.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Banned
    I hardly get any calluses and I have never had skin rip off before. I think its my large hands that help, so no need for gloves.

Wannabebig Member
    i love me my lifting gloves, gotta keep my hands fresh for the ladies
    Stats

Starting weight - 170-175
    Starting height - 6 foot 2.5

Current weight - 200 - 205
    Current height - 6 foot 3

Months lifting - 13

i still got calluses with gloves so whats the point. plus when i shake the hand of a soft handed male they usually instinctively cower in fear but i have to remind them its ok, i wont judge them for being a woman.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Wannabebig New Member
    I don't use gloves. It increases the size of the stuff you're holding, so it makes it harder to hold. I also don't like having baby-soft hands, I like them moderately tough for when I feel like doing tough things with them in real life.

Banned
    As long as someone is training hard, I dont give a **** what they are wearing.