The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Do you wear training gloves?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - gloves

26 17.93%
  • No - bare hands

111 76.55%
  • Other - please elaborate

8 5.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves or no?

im 50/50 on the gloves. i use them for certain lifts because of bad wrists but most of the time im barehanded. callused hands come in handy

Wannabebig Member
    Seriously, who gives a flying f about this. I wear gloves because I like the wrist support. Other than that I'm at the gym to get in and get out. Let me be and don't make eye contact with me.

gloves, no
    wrist straps, acceptable depending on lift

If you're worried about grip strength, then no gloves. Your grip will be worse with gloves on.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I find it funny when i see like 50 year old females on leg press machines working at 10% intensity wearing gloves (I saw this at my gym this week).

Thats my only contribution to this thread lol
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Banned
    Find me a guy who wears gloves and I'll show you a guy who doesn't squat.

lol, a lot of sides on this one it seems. Gloves suck, they've never helped anything except making sure your hands stay nice and purdy. The ONLY excuse I find logical and allow is a friend of my friends is a hair dresser, he's gotta have soft hands for the ladies. So, if you're not a gay hairdresser, or a masseuse, you don't wear gloves. Your wrist hurt? Get some wrist wraps. Flippin pansy.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

In high school I wore them because I thought you were supposed to. But it really didn't help me grip anything, just the opposite.

I have a pumice stone in the shower for grinding calluses down. Some calluses are good but if they get too big they inhibit grip, at least they do for me.

I AM the highlight reel... Owens14's Avatar
    The only thing I like on me when I lift is tape on my wrists for benching, anything else just feels like dead weight. Plus I've been a baseball player all my life so calluses are my bestfriends.
    Last edited by Owens14; 02-28-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Everyone has a dream, it's those who put an extreme amount of effort, thought, dedication, time, and heart into their dream that no longer have a dream, they have a reality...

As of 10/2011 @225lbs
    Squat- 405
    Bench- 325
    Deadlift- 440

I'm starting to hate this thread...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'm starting to hate this thread...
    It took 3 pages OR? Comeon, it's the infamous gloves/no gloves thread man. Gotta love em.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    It took 3 pages OR? Comeon, it's the infamous gloves/no gloves thread man. Gotta love em.
    It keeps popping back up like a bad penny.
    I thought lifting gloves went out in the 80's along with striped workout pants.
    Last edited by Off Road; 02-28-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    It keeps popping back up like a bad penny.
    I thought lifting gloves went out in the 80's along with striped workout pants.
    Wait they're out of style? Damnit, I just ordered some...
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

There are benefits to wearing gloves and I don't like callouses. But after working out barehanded for so long, it now feels that gloves just get in the way. So I no longer wear them.

Yeah... I'm that awesome. Captain Awesome's Avatar
    Naked hands with chalk occasionally. I bought a bunch of chalk, but hardly use it unless its sub-maximal pulling. I bought straps, but those never get used either. Lol. I like my callouses; they give my hands personality.
    There is no hope for the weak.

Yeah... I'm that awesome. Captain Awesome's Avatar
    Weird... Time stamp on the main page shows today at 10:36... I definitely didn't post in this thread today, as my post above says. Hmm...
    There is no hope for the weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Weird... Time stamp on the main page shows today at 10:36... I definitely didn't post in this thread today, as my post above says. Hmm...
    The timestamp I see for your post is: 03-04-2011 09:30 AM

The forum has been getting some weird spam posts lately but I haven't noticed timestamps screwing up.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    No gloves for me - recently started using chalk and never looked back

Honestly, what kind of weightlifter wears gloves? If you are so effeminate that you must maintain your silky woman hands with such silly measures then what the hell are you doing in the weight room in the first place? Its not an effeminate place, and its not an effeminate thing to do. Calluses are your body's natural adaption to friction on the skin, just like muscle and strength gains are its adaption to heavy weightlifting. The guys deadlifting 600+ may end up getting them ripped off, but do you see those guys wearing gloves? Weight lifting is a painful, sometimes excruciating thing, and if you think you can dodge that by wearing gloves you're wasting time.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

I'd wear gloves, but I can't find a color that matches my gym bag. ; ) jk

I call my calluses man-leather.

Rough hands are simply an adaptation to perform better. It's like armor for your hands. Eventually, maintenance maybe required if you don't want them ripping off.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat_Head View Post
    Honestly, what kind of weightlifter wears gloves? If you are so effeminate that you must maintain your silky woman hands with such silly measures then what the hell are you doing in the weight room in the first place? Its not an effeminate place, and its not an effeminate thing to do. Calluses are your body's natural adaption to friction on the skin, just like muscle and strength gains are its adaption to heavy weightlifting. The guys deadlifting 600+ may end up getting them ripped off, but do you see those guys wearing gloves? Weight lifting is a painful, sometimes excruciating thing, and if you think you can dodge that by wearing gloves you're wasting time.
    Sigh....

Why do you feel the need to judge others because of their choice to wear gloves? How does that trainer's decision to wear gloves affect you? If a trainer wants to wear gloves because he doesn't want rough hands, who are you to judge? Perhaps the trainer is a surgeon or has some other profession where rough hands are a liability.

The idea that you can judge a man's masculinity based on whether or not he wears gloves is laughable. I'm sure there are trainers out there who use gloves who are lifting with the utmost intensity. Wearing gloves has no bearing on one's masculinity whatsoever. If you want to argue that wearing gloves inhibits grip strength, etc., then go ahead; to make a blanket statement that all men who wear gloves are effeminate is archaic.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Sigh....

Why do you feel the need to judge others because of their choice to wear gloves? How does that trainer's decision to wear gloves affect you? If a trainer wants to wear gloves because he doesn't want rough hands, who are you to judge? Perhaps the trainer is a surgeon or has some other profession where rough hands are a liability.
    It doesn't affect me in the least. He can wear frilly pink skirts while he lifts if that's what he wants to do.

The idea that you can judge a man's masculinity based on whether or not he wears gloves is laughable. I'm sure there are trainers out there who use gloves who are lifting with the utmost intensity. Wearing gloves has no bearing on one's masculinity whatsoever. If you want to argue that wearing gloves inhibits grip strength, etc., then go ahead; to make a blanket statement that all men who wear gloves are effeminate is archaic.
    Hell there's nothing wrong with wearing gloves - they keep one of our most vulnerable extremities warm, they allow us to work with electricity and caustic chemicals without worrying, etc etc. All in all, gloves are great. Do they have anything to do with the weightroom? No. Do they belong in the weight room? Again, no. Look, I'm perfectly aware that there are men far more masculine than I who do wear gloves in the weight room. That doesn't make it any less laughable.

And yes, they do hinder the development of grip strength and forearm musculature. If you are working hard in the weight room that is a BIG problem. Again, if you don't want to develop a stronger grip and stronger hands/wrists/forearms, what the hell are you doing there? Trying to "tone" your abs? Trying to "spot reduce" fat on your arms? Doing pistol squats on a bosu-ball for optimal athletic performance? Doing all of these with gloves because you're the one out of a million lifters who's a surgeon? Call me bigoted, or even archaic, it just seems infinitely effeminate to me.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 03-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.

House Lannister
    Look, I'm perfectly aware that there are men far more masculine than I who do wear gloves in the weight room. That doesn't make it any less laughable.
    I really don't see what's so laughable about it.

And yes, they do hinder the development of grip strength and forearm musculature.
    I'd agree with you somewhat there. Whether or not it makes a massive difference in development is debatable.

Again, if you don't want to develop a stronger grip and stronger hands/wrists/forearms, what the hell are you doing there?
    For some, the rough hands are not worth the forearm and grip strength development. Also, if the trainer is trying to train back, for instance, rowing heavy with bare hands can be extremely difficult without straps or, if they help more, gloves. Having forearm/grip strength be a limiter in that type of workout is not optimal and interferes with maximizing the intensity of the back workout.

Call me bigoted, or even archaic, it just seems infinitely effeminate to me.
    Agree to disagree.

To each his own, do what you want in and out of the weightroom, just giving my opinion.

I don't look down on anybody for just about anything they do in the weight room as long as it doesn't endanger someone or negatively affect me. But it's pretty easy to just lift with chalk and use a file or pumice stone to grind your calluses down. It takes less than 5 minutes and its a simple truth that thicker things are harder to grip. A glove makes the bar thicker.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 03-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.