Thread: Reg Park's Diet

Hybrid View

Banned

Reg Park's Diet

I did some browsing for old-school diet plans and found some info on Reg Park. Some of it will be obvious for the experienced guys but I think young, aspiring "hard-gainers" might find it useful. If nothing else, it's quite entertaining! I highlighted some things I thought were interesting or impressive.

For those who don't know, Reg Park was the first bodybuilder to bench press 500 pounds, the first real celebrity bodybuilder/actor and the inspiration and coach of a young Arnold Schwarznegger. The man was incredibly strong and looked it. He was probably the biggest weightlifter of the 1950s, pre-steroid era.

Deon Silva:
    I think Reg's diet will come as a real surprise to most! I have asked Reg on many occasions to confirm this.
    In the world of modern bodybuilding nutrition (egg whites, low fat diet styles etc.) Reg's diet is something of a contradiction to all of that. Here is what he did...he ate anything he pleased! To bulk up he simply ate more! Back in the late 1940's and early 1950's there were no set or accepted diet rules for the bodybuilder, no books on bodybuilding nutrition. In the modern program "Body for Life" the six meals a day has almost been punted as a new, modern concept, but Reg was doing this way back then. Reg's main source of protein was - Full Cream Milk! He drank pints/litres of it per day (full cream, not the modern low fat variety). Reg has always said that milk is your cheapest source of protein.
    Reg was a huge eater and he ate anything that was calorie rich! Reg believes in a simple nutrition plan - to bulk up, eat a lot! and workout hard!

This is quite funny:

In an interview with Reg by Osmo Kiiha, Reg was asked about his diet:

"What type of diet did you follow?

Reg: I liked to eat like a king, but only food that was good for me. I ate prodigious amounts of food during the day, but adhered to a very balanced diet with everything in proper proportions. My favorite food is steak, which I sometimes eat twice a day. I also like salads, orange juice and wine. I have a wine cellar in my home. I also have used protein supplements and take vitamin and mineral tablets.

Earle Liederman once wrote in "Iron Man" about the gastronomical indulgences of bodybuilding starts, "Reg Park of England wins a good second to Mac Batchelor with his speed. Once, when dining with Reg, he gargled three large plates of vegetable soup, then gulped chucks from his extra large and thick steak without his teeth sinking into the meat once, apparently, next stuffed many side dishes of vegetables into his ever open mouth and these include an extra large pair of baked potatoes, a huge bowl of salad, three glasses of milk and the last, the piece de resistance, a big dish of ice cream with cake. And all this, mind you, in about ten minutes. Gee! I've seen hungry bloodhounds gobble down food, but Reg Park wins a can of fried grasshoppers as second place for amount, and first place for speed."

And here's a basic diet template he sometimes used.

Reg Park's Diet.

Breakfast:

A glass of fresh orange juice
    Fruit: paw-paw (papaya) & banana
    Cooked Oatmeal (Large soup plate full) with full cream/whole milk & fresh cream
    A plate of bacon, eggs, tomato and toast
    A couple of cups of tea

Lunch:

Large bowl of soup (tomato, pea, minestrone etc.) with rye bread
    Cooked vegetables
    Beef steak (2 Kg)
    Desert
    A couple of cups of tea with some chocolate
    Also wine or milk stout(like Guiness)

Supper:

Same as lunch.

(Reg would consume Milk stout/Guiness as an aid when he needed to gain weight)

So there you go. If you want to look like Hercules train 5x5, eat your vegetables, eat enormous steaks, have dessert, drink gallons of milk and finish it off with pints of Guiness.

Awesome. I love the old physical culture stuff. Thanks for posting that.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

damn dude! that's a frick ton of beef to eat daily!
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Banned
    2kg is huge. That's a 72 ounce steak!

I knew Reg was a big fan of red meat but I didn't know just how much steak he ate. Somewhere else I read that he drank vegetable soup like water. That's probably a good idea if you're eating that much meat; easy way to get lots of veggies in.

Nice post.

Guinness as in the beer?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Guinness for strength
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned

I tend to favour heavy beers like stout and Guinness and I used to joke with friends that it was because Guinness had more calories and protein. Good to know the old-timers had the same thinking.

Banned
    Its a myth that Guinness draught has a ton of calories.

12oz Guinness Draught - 126ish calories
    12oz bud light - 110 calories

Guinness extra stout is a little heavier. In general, your big, bold beers like IPAs, strong ales, etc have the highest caloric content.
    Last edited by Cmanuel; 06-22-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Banned
    Well that's disappointing. Does taste nice though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Does taste nice though.
    Dissapointing! Heavens no! This is my beer of choice on my cutting diets :-p

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Nice info. Thanks for posting. I think people need to keep in mind that Reg Park's advanced genetics allowed him to make use of lots of calories (from some poor sources) where the average person would need to be mo discriminating (and chew their food a bit).