The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Leg imbalance and hip torque

Recently, I've broken into the low 300s for squat and deadlift. Since then I developed a pain/numbness in my left hip. Subsequently, the pain has spread into my lower back/sacrum area.

I went to a sports medicine doctor and she said that a) my left leg is longer than my right and b) this imbalance has caused my hips to torque to the right. This makes sense since my gym partners say that I tend to pivot a bit to the right when I squat.

I've tried orthotics in my shoes (even when lifting) and it helps a bit, but the pain is still there. Disc issues have been ruled out by an MRI.

Has anyone else overcome this type of issue? What kinds of exercies/activities would be good to "right the ship" so to speak? Maybe single leg stuff?
    Last edited by levensok; 06-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I believe anything less than a 10mm difference is considered "normal". Did you have the difference measured?

The only proper fix will be shimming the short leg.

*edited to reflect the below post.
    Last edited by Kastro; 06-18-2010 at 07:16 PM.

I hope you mean 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by levensok View Post
    Recently, I've broken into the low 300s for squat and deadlift. Since then I developed a pain/numbness in my left hip. Subsequently, the pain has spread into my lower back/sacrum area.

I went to a sports medicine doctor and she said that a) my left leg is longer than my right and b) this imbalance has caused my hips to torque to the right. This makes sense since my gym partners say that I tend to pivot a bit to the right when I squat.

I've tried orthotics in my shoes (even when lifting) and it helps a bit, but the pain is still there. Disc issues have been ruled out by an MRI.

Has anyone else overcome this type of issue? What kinds of exercies/activities would be good to "right the ship" so to speak? Maybe single leg stuff?
    The orthotic sounds like a good idea. What did thī physician recommend?

im having a similar problem but it doesnt feel as if its a leg imbalance from length.. i tend to put most of my weight on my right leg... when standing, sitting anything. My hip is starting to hurt and it really hurts the most while driving, my right leg is extended pushing the pedal while my left leg is limp...

any advice on this? im constantly trying to put the weight on my left side but i just cant seem to compensate enough

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    im having a similar problem but it doesnt feel as if its a leg imbalance from length.. i tend to put most of my weight on my right leg... when standing, sitting anything. My hip is starting to hurt and it really hurts the most while driving, my right leg is extended pushing the pedal while my left leg is limp...

any advice on this? im constantly trying to put the weight on my left side but i just cant seem to compensate enough
    I just posted about a similar problem I had... I have a pinched nerve in my lower right back that causes lower back/hip pain. I could only stand even-footed for about 5-10 mins then I would have to shift all my weight to my left leg, which would cause that side to hurt from taking all the weight...

Deadlifting and squats fixed me up. I do still occasionally get pain but I can stand for 1-2 hours now even-footed and get 5% of the pain I used to get...

Wannabebig New Member

full hip extension

you may not have full hip extension due to tight psoas. When your hip flexors are tight they inhibit your glute preventing full hip extension. This means that rather than ending with your pelvis tucked, you end with your hips pulled back (anterior pelvic tilt). This compresses lumbar spine and puts stress on siatic nerve (the pain you are feeling in your back). Try stretching psoas for 2 minutes per side before you squat.