The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

When faced with this situation which would you choose?

I'll tell you right now that 90% of the time, I would chose option 1...but what would you do?

Today is my scheduled 'squat day'. I'm on the 5/3/1 program, and it's my 9th cycle, 3rd wave. The weights are starting to pretty heavy. The fact that it is the 3rd wave means it is using the heaviest weights so far in the entire program.

I trained hard on Monday, and even harder on Tuesday. I had a day's rest yesterday where I went out and stuffed my face with sushi and 7 strong beers. I'm tired today, and although I'm not extremely hungover or anything the 7 strong beers from last night certainly don't help me be any less tired. I'm still pretty sore from Monday and Tuesday's sessions, but I know I could go to the gym and kill it tonight due to the fact that I have an abundance of carbs in my system from last nights sushi and beerfest, and today's chicken parm sandwich for lunch!

I only train 3 days per week, and I already completed 2 of them on Monday and Tuesday. That leaves today, tomorrow, or Saturday for me to get my third day in. However, if I skip today I'll have to rush tomorrow because of my plans at night...if I go on Saturday, I'll have to wake up earlier in the morning then I usually would like to.

Basically, getting the session over with today would be the ideal situation...but then again, afterwork naps feel sooooo good!

So my options are:

1.) Stop being a p***y and go squat
    2.) Procrastinate, and go take a nice nap

What would you do?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

2. I love to nap.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    2. I love to nap.
    Done! Thanks for the help!
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

3. Drink 7 more beers and take a nap

Haha, personally I would either go today and take it easy getting some quality work in or make time Friday or Saturday when your fresh.

I'd just get it over with. Every squat day for a second I think, "damn, it's squat day, blah". Then before I know it I'm squatting and on my last set. Then I just think, "Alright, last set, then it's over"

The quicker it's over and the sooner you do it, the more time you have to do what you wanna do

why the **** do you train mon tues and then fri?

Nap...Then squat.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I decided to just go tomorrow, and take a nap today after work. I'm vagggin out!

Why Mon, Tues, and Fri....well, I do Jiu-jitsu on Monday, tuesday, sometimes wednesdays, and thursdays....band practice is either on Wednesday night or thursday night. I have classical guitar lessons on Saturdays, and usually gigs on friday and saturday nights. Sundays is the day I spend working on whatever needs to be done around the house. Also, I have to squeeze in time for learning new songs and practicing guitar. So I get my 3 days in when I can.

Banned
    Thats a good idea...if its the 3rd week anyway, its not a big deal to shuffle the days...you are going to rest a whole week anyway.

I would vote go today, Just get the work done and get out.

Although I have to admit I squat better when hung over.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    In most cases I would say that a day of rest would do you more good than a poor performance in the gym.

Sometimes you do have to push through and just make it happen, but it is important to pick and choose your battles. Since your schedule is flexible I would not worry about shifting things by 1-2 days based on how you feel.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

If you don't have to squat today and you can tomorrow, sleep today, squat tomorrow.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Well fellas it is now tomorrow....and it's squat day. In less then one hour, I will be shooting for a new rep PR!

BTW, I did end up doing Jiu-jitsu yesterday after a nice nap, so it wasn't a total wasted day!

Good luck on your PR's.

I like how it only took you 16 minutes from your original post to arrive at the nap.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis