Thread: No chalk allowed at my gym...

Wannabebig Member

No chalk allowed at my gym...

I was doing deads today and the bar felt a bit slick, and I can tell it'll be an issue as I add more weight. What are my other options? Gloves? I know a lot of people here aren't big fans, but any input would be appreciated.

Sneak it and clean up after yourself.

It was mark rippetoe who said if your gym doesn't allow chalk, find a new gym

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I was doing deads today and the bar felt a bit slick, and I can tell it'll be an issue as I add more weight. What are my other options? Gloves? I know a lot of people here aren't big fans, but any input would be appreciated.
    I find gloves detrimental to grip, to be completely honest. Have you tried talking to the owners of the gym about why chalk isn't allowed? It may seem futile, but I've actually convinced more than one gym owner to let me use chalk when I simply laid out the benefits. Chalk makes the lift safer, both for me and the equipment. In addition, bacteria generally grows best where it's warm and moist, and chalk on your hands keeps the bar cool and dry, so there's a benefit for sanitation. If you offer to clean up any chalk that happens to get on the floor, what other objection could they possibly have?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    That's a rule I simply ignore at a lot of gyms. As long as you don't make a mess they usually don't care....
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Yes, either a.) talk to the gym owner, and tell him/her that you will clean up after yourself, or b.) just use it anyway, and clean up after yourself.

The key is keeping your area clean, so it doesn't become a problem. a

At my gym, I put this board underneath the bar while I'm putting chalk on it, so none falls on the floor. I then do my deadlifts....then I go wash all the chalk off my hands in the bathroom....then I spray down the bar with a bottle of sanitizer and a paper towel, to remove any chalk from the bar. It's as if I never even used chalk at all when I'm done!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz3rShark View Post
    I find gloves detrimental to grip, to be completely honest. Have you tried talking to the owners of the gym about why chalk isn't allowed? It may seem futile, but I've actually convinced more than one gym owner to let me use chalk when I simply laid out the benefits. Chalk makes the lift safer, both for me and the equipment. In addition, bacteria generally grows best where it's warm and moist, and chalk on your hands keeps the bar cool and dry, so there's a benefit for sanitation. If you offer to clean up any chalk that happens to get on the floor, what other objection could they possibly have?
    Nah, I only talked to one of the less-than-helpful minions. I think next time I see the owner I'll try to convince him.

It's only ever been a problem on deadlifts for me so far, so cleaning up after one whole exercise wouldn't be much of a burden. I think I might try a mixed grip as well, since I've only been using overhand.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    I know there are companies that sell non-messy chalk substitute (I think like a roll on deodorant form) you may want to do a search for. Alternately, they have chalkbags for mountain climbing that is non-messy. I have never used either. My gym is so chalk friendly that you can practically just put your hand on the ground to chalk up.

There are a few options:

- Search around the gym for a bar with good knurling (assuming they are not all the same brand).
    - Use straps.
    - Keep a small amount of chalk in your pocket or gym bag and do not make a mess.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I agree with hide it and clean up after yourself. Most commercial gyms disallow the use of chalk. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Getting an Eco Ball is cleaner alternative.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I agree with hide it and clean up after yourself. Most commercial gyms disallow the use of chalk. What they don't know won't hurt them.

Getting an Eco Ball is cleaner alternative.
    I just looked this product up and it seems like a great solution, thanks.

And I'd consider straps, but I'm a beginning lifter, and compared to most people here, my deadlifts are laughable (i pulled 185 last night). I'd like to develop my grip strength before resorting to straps.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I just looked this product up and it seems like a great solution, thanks.

And I'd consider straps, but I'm a beginning lifter, and compared to most people here, my deadlifts are laughable (i pulled 185 last night). I'd like to develop my grip strength before resorting to straps.
    Sounds good, man. GL

Banned
    Most gyms don't allow it...

If I use it, I am either really discrete about it or I go to the bathroom and put it on my hands. No one has said a word to me in 3 years of using it.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Most gyms don't allow it...

If I use it, I am either really discrete about it or I go to the bathroom and put it on my hands. No one has said a word to me in 3 years of using it.
    Agreed, I take a small amout of it in a baggie to the gym and keep it in my coat pocket. When I pull it out to use it, I put it under a towel. It's white chalk so it is not that visible when on my hands and most people couldn't care less.

I say give it a try and if no one finds out or cares then you are golden, if they do you will probably just get warned.