Thread: help a newb decide on a wrist wrap.

help a newb decide on a wrist wrap.

hey guys,

it seems like everyone just assumes you know everything about using/choosing a wrist wrap if you're to the point where you feel you'd like one.

I've started to notice a dull pain when i'm benching heavy (texas method rocks, btw) so i figured it's about time to get a wrist wrap. I don't know anyone who uses them, or knows much about them.

there are sooooo many choices. How does one decide how stiff to go, or how long the wrap should be?
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

APT wraps or Titan THP's I'd say. 36".
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I like my APT Black Mamba straps.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

Wannabebig New Member
    Go on Izer.com they have very good wraps.

Dr. Subtotal
    I'd go after what's causing that dull pain first before it gets worse.
    If they're for training (ie taking them on and off a million times), a flexible wrap would work better. I've got wraps from all companies, from hand me downs to ones I got free with equipment orders, that I still use. Inzer Z's and APT blue mambas are nice. 20" are decent in these.

If you're more concerned with stability and benching, a cast like wrap would serve better. Unless you're used to it, 36" may be a bit much. Convicts, 2xhs and the hybrids from apt are decent choices here.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Tyler Tucker
    The elite wraps are great. and not to expensive. Use them for benching they give me plenty of support.
    --------Bench----DL----
    Meet: 425------550----
    Gym: 405------565----

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    I'd go after what's causing that dull pain first before it gets worse.
    If they're for training (ie taking them on and off a million times), a flexible wrap would work better. I've got wraps from all companies, from hand me downs to ones I got free with equipment orders, that I still use. Inzer Z's and APT blue mambas are nice. 20" are decent in these.

If you're more concerned with stability and benching, a cast like wrap would serve better. Unless you're used to it, 36" may be a bit much. Convicts, 2xhs and the hybrids from apt are decent choices here.
    I don't really understand the dull wrist pain, I do wrist/hand/forearm exercises, wrist rolls, i built my own 'twist yo wrist' yoyo, and I have grippers/bands etc. If there's something i could do to build up to where I don't have to rely on equipment, I'd certainly rather do that.

I assumed it was the pressure from the weight that was causing the pain, so i figured the extra support from a wrist wrap would alleviate that.

With the lengths, obviously it affects how many thicknesses of the wrap are created... what do you base that decision on (wrist measurements?) ? I don't think i require the cast-like feel.

I was thinking from what i'd read that the APT Strangulators in 24" would be a decent choice.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

Dr. Subtotal
    I'm no expert on wrist health by any means, but does it hurt only when you're benching? If your benching frequency is rather high and you're not prepping for a meet, you may want to drop it for a bit. Ice/Heat have helped me as well as foam rolling the forearm muscles and stretching the wrists frequently.

Take a look at how you're benching. Many lifters I watch complain of pain, and I find they are not benching with their wrists and forearms in line with the bar. They fix this issue and the pain subsides. You may want to even incorporate fat bar work to alleviate any extra stress on your joints.

The lengths affect the thickness, but more importantly the area that the wrap covers. A 12" wrap that goes around twice around the wrist will cover less area with less thickness than a 36" wrap. Strangulators in 24" are a decent choice. Nice mix of flexibility and cast and can serve as good training wraps or competition wraps
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I recommend APT wraps for a couple of reasons.

- They are reasonably priced and offer a number of different material options.
    - If you purchase a pair of 24" or 36" wraps and use the code "PLWATCH" you will receive 15% off your order and a free pair of 12" wraps. This means that you will have a pair of long/stiff wraps for heavy lifting (max effort bench, dumbbells, close grip) and can also get a pair of shorter wraps for lighter lifting (military press, accessory work, etc.).
    - Fast shipping.

You can see all of their wraps here:

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight...erlifting_wrap

I would recommend either the Convict 24" or Strangulator 24" for your 'heavy' wrap, and a ZRV 12" for your 'light' wrap.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    The lengths affect the thickness, but more importantly the area that the wrap covers. A 12" wrap that goes around twice around the wrist will cover less area with less thickness than a 36" wrap. Strangulators in 24" are a decent choice. Nice mix of flexibility and cast and can serve as good training wraps or competition wraps
    I see... so you don't wrap your wrists with exact overlap then? I assumed you just added layers of material for extra strength, and not for coverage area.

I'll have someone critique my benching next time around. I personally feel the form is good.

thanks for your help.

btw, I keep hearing this in my head when i read your username: "break your backs and crack your oars men, If you wish to prevail. "
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

Yep, Strangulators 24" would be a good choice.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

TJW
    Glad to see people suggesting the strangulators. I just ordered a pair of 36" to go along with my 12" convicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I recommend APT wraps for a couple of reasons.

- They are reasonably priced and offer a number of different material options.
    - If you purchase a pair of 24" or 36" wraps and use the code "PLWATCH" you will receive 15% off your order and a free pair of 12" wraps. This means that you will have a pair of long/stiff wraps for heavy lifting (max effort bench, dumbbells, close grip) and can also get a pair of shorter wraps for lighter lifting (military press, accessory work, etc.).
    - Fast shipping.

You can see all of their wraps here:

http://www.prowriststraps.com/weight...erlifting_wrap

I would recommend either the Convict 24" or Strangulator 24" for your 'heavy' wrap, and a ZRV 12" for your 'light' wrap.
    Sweet. Thanks for the tip Tom!
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

I have used the strangulators, convicts and now I use a strangulator/convict hybrid (no problems with any of them, i lost 1 pair at a meet and gave someone 1 pair).

the convicts are my favorite out of all of them, the material is thinner and I can get a better wrap.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

I received my wraps last night, tried them on, and they are awesome... exactly what I was looking for. I got the 24' strangulators and couldn't tell what the 12' freebie was, they're black and white striped like the 'custom' wraps on the APT site. I can't wait to bench with them.

Thanks for all your advice and tips.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010

anyone tried those silver metal wraps and those new inzer wraps that look alot like frantz wraps?

I tried the wraps on the bench today. Precisely what I needed. I used to 12" for the first 3 sets and the 24" for the last two, I can see how they'll really help me out.

thanks again guys.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010