The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Newbie exercise selection - too much?

Hey guys, I am doing an HST-style cycle w/ clustering to get myself prepped to do a full-blown HCT-12 cycle. I decided not to jump right into HCT-12 because history tells me I would not be able to handle the heavy weights and volume, plus I've never done squats/deadlifts before and I wanted to work on form and build at least a small base before starting a program like this.

I'm small, sub 150 pounds, only been working out for the past 6 months or so, but now I have my diet under strict control and I'm loving the gym.

My routine looks like this:

AM:
    Flat bench
    Deadlift
    Military press
    One arm rows
    Barbell curl
    Skullcrusher

PM:
    Squat
    Pullups
    Dips
    Shrugs
    Calf raise
    Front raises
    Lateral raises

I do this full-body workout 3 days/week. My load/rep scheme has been to start low, increase load each workout, do 20 reps per exercise with a first set that goes close to failure, then as many clusters as required to hit 20. So it started out everything being just one 20 rep set and over the last 4 weeks as the weights have gotten heavier I have exercises where I'll do 10+4+3+3 or whatever.

I was thinking about finishing this cycle but instead doing a 6-day split with HCT-12 suggested exercises.

So I'd do ABABAB:

A
    Chins
    One arm row
    Incline bench
    Standing barbell press
    Dips

B
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Curl
    Calf raise
    Abs

After another 4-6 weeks, I'll deload and go from there with the HCT-12 regimen. This is getting long winded, so my question is this:

My upper chest is devoid of muscle and my traps are non-existent. My upper body in general is just underdeveloped (of course my legs are as well, but I know what I have to do to fix that). Given those aesthetic weak spots, am I going to regret giving up the shrugs and the dumbell lateral/front raises? Or was I doing too much to begin with trying to fit 260 reps in every day?

Thanks in advance for any responses..

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I decided not to jump right into HCT-12 because history tells me I would not be able to handle the heavy weights and volume, plus I've never done squats/deadlifts before and I wanted to work on form and build at least a small base before starting a program like this.
    You're worrying over nothing, the weights won't be 'too' heavy for you, they're just the weights you'll be able to handle for that rep range. You're doing a lot more volume now so the volume won't be an issue either.

My upper chest is devoid of muscle and my traps are non-existent. My upper body in general is just underdeveloped (of course my legs are as well, but I know what I have to do to fix that). Given those aesthetic weak spots, am I going to regret giving up the shrugs and the dumbell lateral/front raises? Or was I doing too much to begin with trying to fit 260 reps in every day?
    At this stage you don't have underdeveloped bodyparts (they may look relatively smaller in your eyes) just an underdeveloped upper body. Follow the program and the diet guide (especially the diet) and you'll grow all over - you will not miss either of those exercises.

Just start the program and eat accordingly and you''ll save yourself the trouble of working through the plans you outlined and save yourselft some time and effort by getting bigger sooner.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 06-22-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Fair enough. If there's one thing I'm handling well it is the diet.

I'm eating for a 160 lb guy. Using 160 x 17 as a multiplier which gives me 2720 calories. I've been doing this for 4 weeks following the lifting program I had outlined above and I've lost more bodyfat and actually dropped a pound. The diet has been -extremely- clean. But I've seen some muscle growth as well so I'm not complaining .. yet.

I eat a 38/24/38-ish give-or-take-a-few-points macronutrient breakdown because I'm pretty carb sensitive. Grains just upset my stomach and there's nothing I can do about it. Oh well, these Atkins-like diets suck for bulking I guess but what can you do.

You can bulk ok on those macros, no problem. Just remember that you're not tied to 2720kcal if you're not gaining, adjust up or down accordingly every two weeks or so by 250kcal based on progress.
    At your stage just lifting and eating to get bigger should lean you out somewhat as you gain weigh,t simply because you're a novice and all the stimuli are by definition, novel.

Wannabebig Member
    Daniel, one last question if you don't mind..

I find that deadlifts even at the light weights I'm lifting now (I assume my 6rm is 160lbs or so) absolutely wipe me out. Did a set of 10+5+5 today at 130 lbs and I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Squats do as well, don't get me wrong, but just not the same as deadlifts for me.

Assuming I followed HCT protocols and did a 4 day split...also assuming I really want to do both squats and deadlifts...can I place them on different days?

Maybe:

A
    Squats
    Chin
    One arm row
    Dips
    Standing press

B
    Incline bench
    Deadlifts
    Curl
    Calf
    Abs

Or some other variation that may be recommended? To do them on the same day I figure is frowned upon and probably somewhat dangerous since they both require a strong lower back.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Just stick with the routine as it's written, especially if your a beginner. Try pairing regular Dead's with Front Squats, this is a good choice as Front Squats place less stress on the lower back than regular one's.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Kong, I will check out Front Squats and see what I can do with those. Appreciate the feedback!

Wannabebig Member
    Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question..

I had 3 lower back surgeries, so I can not do squats, nor dead lifts. So, I was wondering what workouts I can substitute for them. I know thats not ideal, but its what I have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeFurfaro View Post
    Not to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question..

I had 3 lower back surgeries, so I can not do squats, nor dead lifts. So, I was wondering what workouts I can substitute for them. I know thats not ideal, but its what I have to work with.
    There's a whole host of single leg stuff you can do that won't stress your back, bulgarian split squat, lunges, step ups, even prowler and sled work if you truly are that limited. Belt squats, glute-ham raise - none of it easy stuff either.

Leg press even - if you can find one that doesn't aggravate your back.

Look any of those up on youtube to get an idea.