Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift 5 Plates Like a Champion - New Article!

Im at 4 plates on each side and at 166 I think thats pretty dam good!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Good article. But why 5 plates per side? Why not 4? or 6?
    (my own opinion on this matter) Because your average weightlifter after some training should be able to do twice their body weight and 200 pounds is a good average for a weightlifter. Why not 6? Because the bar's already doing some serious bending at 5 plates. When the bar bends, people pay attention.

Wannabebig Member Bret Contreras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Awesome article. I think I discovered I have weak glutes, quads and forearms. That's depressing as hell. Good news is, with those weaknesses I'm still closing in on a 470 deadlift @ 189-190 pounds.

So, thanks for depressing me.
    KoSh, if you can deadlift 470 at 180, probably nothing on you is "weak." It just means that these are your weak links. Sure it's just semantics, but there's definitely no need to be depressed; you're kicking ass! Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    You left out one section: You have weak character if you:
    - Don't deadlift
    A-Freakin'-Men to that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Excellent article...however, I searched for my "weak point" and couldn't find it in the list. I did 435 x5 last week, and have done 455 for one. I tried 500 about 3 weeks ago and got stuck at the knees- does anyone know what my weak point is with that symptom?

I don't consider that weakness off the floor or trouble locking out...it's kinda somewhere in the middle.
    Often to get through a sticky point, rather than focusing on that point, you can focus on building more acceleration at the beginning of the pull so you power through the sticky point. This is what Dave Tate often says.

Some would recommend speed pulls and pulls against bands with varying percentages to improve your acceleration. Some might tell you to focus on deficit deads for a while for more bottom position strength. Others might recommend rack pulls at your sticky point.

Personally, if this was where I got stuck, I'd focus on both rack pulls from just below the knees and speed pulls with 75% of my 1RM. This is just a personal thing, but I've never noticed much carryover with speed pulls at 50-60% of my 1RM. For me it's just too light to transfer to my heavy pull. I know of plenty of folks who preferred 50-60% however.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    You may want to look at adjusting your technique or setup rather then looking for a 'weak point'. Something as simple as turning your feet slightly outward or sitting a bit deeper on your initial pull can make a big difference.

If you would like to critique your technique then I would post a couple of videos of you deadlifting in a seperate thread (powerlifting forum would probably be the best place).
    This is great advice! I concur with Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Good article. But why 5 plates per side? Why not 4? or 6?
    I think I originally entitled the article, "Deadlift 600 lbs" but we decided to change the title because the majority of lifters are probably trying to chase down 495/500. I think that 6 plates (585) really separates you from the pack as not many lifters ever make it to this level. Right now I'm at 565 and I can't wait to reach the 6-plate mark. If I get to 600 lbs, I'll be as happy as a 3-peckered billy-goat!

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    (my own opinion on this matter) When the bar bends, people pay attention.
    This should be a shirt slogan!

Thank you everybody for the positive feedback. I'm glad people seemed to like the article! Much appreciated.

Really good article. It inspired me to do more glute work.

The deadlift really is king. Oh yeah, if you haven't read it, there is a great article on if deadlifters ruled the world.

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...ter-were-king/
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I saw all of this good feedback and decided to give it a read. It IS a good article.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Great article, honestly one of the best WBB has ever posted.

It also conformed something I have know for awhile and that it is the fact that I have weak quads ( I can deadlift 100lbs more than I can back squat ) and I really do need to focus on them more.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Bret, I thought of you when I was thrusting yesterday..

ha ha, let me explain myself. I've been doing Barbell Hip Thrusts for a few weeks now and obviously you recommend them in the article. Not with the 405lbs you show in your video, but doing them none the less
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Tom, I will try to post a vid soon, thanks for the suggestion.

Brett, great article and thanks for your thoughts, too!
    Last edited by tnathletics2b; 06-24-2010 at 04:38 AM.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Contreras View Post
    This should be a shirt slogan!

Thank you everybody for the positive feedback. I'm glad people seemed to like the article! Much appreciated.
    BRB, heading to the copyright office LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Bret, I thought of you when I was thrusting yesterday..

ha ha, let me explain myself. I've been doing Barbell Hip Thrusts for a few weeks now and obviously you recommend them in the article. Not with the 405lbs you show in your video, but doing them none the less
    Haha! I'll take any thoughts I can get at this point so I'm glad that I come to mind when thrusting! I started hip thrusting with 185 lbs almost four years ago. I never rushed the strength gains as I didn't want my form to fall apart. I see too many youtube clips of guys not using a full ROM and not "feeling the weight" as they rise. They fling, hyperextend their low backs, and skimp on the ROM. I'd rather use 135 the right way to give the glutes a training effect than 405 the wrong way and just exacerbate the problem of weak glutes by failing to use them properly.

Wannabebig Member
    Could you possibly link to a video of good form then? I'm not familiar with hip thrusts (insert bedroom joke here).

Read the article, there is a link to a video in it

Video
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I looked, but must have missed it. Thanks Daniel.

For example, a tall individual with a long torso and long legs needs freakishly strong glutes in order to use proper deadlifting form because his hips will be considerably further away from the bar than a shorter lifter.
    Good article. Now I know what I need to work on at 6' 1" with a long torso and long legs.
    Last edited by CosmicForce; 06-24-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: put quote on top of text

Wannabebig Member
    Would anybody be able to tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a mixed grip vs. double overhand?

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    (my own opinion on this matter) Because your average weightlifter after some training should be able to do twice their body weight and 200 pounds is a good average for a weightlifter. Why not 6? Because the bar's already doing some serious bending at 5 plates. When the bar bends, people pay attention.
    My bar doesn't bend much at all, if at all, with 500 on it
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Thanks for the article!!!

The timing of the article was perfect for me and a real eye opener! I've been having trouble getting my deadlift numbers to move up. I figured it was lack of rest between deadlift sessions, etc. but still no improvement after making adjustments.

The article was well written and I enjoyed the explanations of weak areas and which exercises to use to help correct the weak link(s). Thanks to the article I know that I have weak glutes and hamstrings and have some knowledge on what to do to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallen Hall View Post
    Would anybody be able to tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a mixed grip vs. double overhand?
    Most people can pull more weight with a mixed grip. Pulling a lot of weight with a hook grip requires more grip strength than with a mixed grip.

Wannabebig New Member

Great article !

[QUOTE=Daniel Clough;2350431]by Bret Contreras

There aren’t many things you can do in the gym that are “manlier” than deadlifting a heavy barbell loaded with five plates per side. It’s the ultimate cool factor, the one movement everyone stops to watch (plus it means you’re strong as hell).

And the answer to getting a big deadlift isn't always to just keep grinding out set after set on deadlifts. If you are able to identify your weak link, fix it and get stronger on the assistance exercises, you'll be smashing Deadlift PR's in no time.

I needed this reply and the article to get me going again

Thanks for the article!

I have a question. I was DLing yesterday, and noticed that my hips were going up first. Sort of like when someone's GMing out of the hole while squatting. What's causing that, and how can I fix it?

Thanks

BTW, how are Mixed Grip Static Holds done (deadlift up and hold at the top)?
    Last edited by [R_H]; 09-16-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: now know what deficit DLs are
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."