Thread: Thoughts on lowering rep range for strength?...

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar

Thoughts on lowering rep range for strength?...

Would it be worth trying a 3-1-1-1 range to bring the reps down more towards strength gain? Been thinking about trying it with Deadlifts for this training cycle as an experiment? My Dead's have always reacted better from lower reps. Any thoughts?
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Re-read the science article. This is a hypertrophy routine, not a strength specific routine.
    If all you want is max strength, you might want to look at 5/3/1 or Westside.
    Last edited by Off Road; 06-23-2010 at 05:18 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It might be worth trying, but have you actually tried it properly this way first? I mean given it a really good go?

There are a lot of good reasons why training for absolute strength is better done in even lower rep ranges than what HCT-12 uses and they are mainly neural, but a good reason for training in the 6RM 80-90% 1RM intensity range is the introduction of fatigue but still at a high intensity. This shifts the balance from mostly neural to more structural benefits. Above 90%1RM it is more neural - you're already recruiting 100% motor units at approx 80-90%1RM.

Read the principles article focusing on the reasons for muscular failure, neural drive and motor unit recruitment etc for a better explanation.

FWIW Andy Bolton trains mostly in the 80-90% 1RM range - he is neurally very efficient, and so focuses on this intensity range as a way of managing overall fatigue (if you lifted that much wouldn't you take a training effect if it meant lifting 10-20% within yourself) and building muscle (i.e getting stronger).

What OR said is correct, the whole premise of this program is about getting bigger through getting stronger, but it does sit slightly higher up the scale than 5/3/1 or Westside etc which sit at the lower end where absolute strength training lies.

Experimentation is fine, but the real experiment it seems would be to see how you adapt to this program don't you think?

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Thanks Daniel, im gonna stick with the 6-2-2-2 for now. Got a rep PR today on my DL so gonna see how i progress, to be fair the change in reps will probably do me some good. Only done 2 upper and 2 lower sessions so far while carb-cycling and i'm already impressed with my progression to say it's only been one week!
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura