The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Dead-lift/sport specific.

What do you think of this chart?

Seem off to me on a lot of things for example why would DB dead be better for baseball than a conv dead? machine deadlift for powerlifting lol. I wonder why some of these sports are placed under certain variants.

DEAD LIFT VARIATION...PRIMARY MUSCLES USED...COMMENTS...SPORT-SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conventional DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors, spinal erectors...total body exercise...football, volleyball, sailing, soccer

Sumo DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors...decreased lumbar stress, total body exercise...wrestling, rugby league, rugby union, football

Romanian DL...hamstrings, spinal erectors...essential learning movement for Olympic lifts and variants...weightlifting, field events (throws), hockey

Power Rack DL...spinal erectors...heavy loads used for increased strength... powerlifting, rugby league, rugby union, football

Machine DL...varies with exercise movement...controlled movement pattern...powerlifting, rugby league, rugby union, football

Snatch DL...upper back, spinal erectors...increased scapular stabilization...weightlifting, gymnastics, ski jumper

Dumbbell DL...varies with exercise movement pattern...sailing, windsurfing, baseball, equestrian

One Arm DL...abdominal, spinal erectors...increased trunk stabilization...field events (throws), rugby, squash, tennis, equestrian, archery, sailing

Strongman DL ...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors...heavy loads using various objects, total body exercise...wrestling, rugby league, rugby union, football

Fingergrip DL...varies with movement (forearm muscles)...increased grip strength... rock climbing, archery, basketball, gymnastics

Stiff-legged DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors, spinal erectors...common technical errors, low back rehabilitation contraindicated...diving, gymnastics, sailing

Last edited by ThomasG; 06-22-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That is quite the over complicated chart! LOL

Let's be honest, how often do you see nautical enthusiasts, archers, equestrians (horse riders) or the like in the gym?

3 variations I feel are best for athletes - wide stance stiff legged, sumo and conventional.

Sometimes the more simple approach is the best.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post

Let's be honest, how often do you see nautical enthusiasts, archers, equestrians (horse riders) or the like in the gym?

3 variations I feel are best for athletes - wide stance stiff legged, sumo and conventional.

I usually go conventional and SLDL with athletes. I have yet to use sumo other than with power lifting. In what scenario do you use sumo dls other than with power lifting?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    What do you think of this chart?

Seem off to me on a lot of things for example why would DB dead be better for baseball than a conv dead? machine deadlift for powerlifting lol. I wonder why some of these sports are placed under certain variants.

DEAD LIFT VARIATION...PRIMARY MUSCLES USED...COMMENTS...SPORT-SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conventional DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors, spinal erectors...total body exercise...football, volleyball, sailing, soccer

Sumo DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors...decreased lumbar stress, total body exercise...wrestling, rugby league, rugby union, football

Romanian DL...hamstrings, spinal erectors...essential learning movement for Olympic lifts and variants...weightlifting, field events (throws), hockey

Power Rack DL...spinal erectors...heavy loads used for increased strength... powerlifting, rugby league, rugby union, football

Machine DL...varies with exercise movement...controlled movement pattern...powerlifting, rugby league, rugby union, football

Snatch DL...upper back, spinal erectors...increased scapular stabilization...weightlifting, gymnastics, ski jumper

Dumbbell DL...varies with exercise movement pattern...sailing, windsurfing, baseball, equestrian

One Arm DL...abdominal, spinal erectors...increased trunk stabilization...field events (throws), rugby, squash, tennis, equestrian, archery, sailing

Strongman DL ...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors...heavy loads using various objects, total body exercise...wrestling, rugby league, rugby union, football

Fingergrip DL...varies with movement (forearm muscles)...increased grip strength... rock climbing, archery, basketball, gymnastics

Stiff-legged DL...gluteus, quadriceps, hip adductors, spinal erectors...common technical errors, low back rehabilitation contraindicated...diving, gymnastics, sailing

WOW!! somebody wasted a whole bunch of time making this chart. Just Deadlift for Pete's sake.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

I see the phrase "sport specific training" going the way of core training and functional strength, if it isnt there already.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I usually go conventional and SLDL with athletes. I have yet to use sumo other than with power lifting. In what scenario do you use sumo dls other than with power lifting?
    All my athletes use all the variations I listed. Sumo is great for glutes and hips

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I see the phrase "sport specific training" going the way of core training and functional strength, if it isnt there already.
    It definitely is there already...

I guess from now on, I'll have all my equestrian clients do DB DLs because that will be soooo much more "sport specific"!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Why do you have your athletes do SLDLs with a wide stance Travis? Is it for hip strength? Or to decrease range of motion and prevent back rounding?

Yep, hip strength

Travis,
    You ever use snatch grip deads for your lifters/athletes?

Ryan Hale

wide stance stiff leg DL vs. Sumo, ? only difference is the bending of knees in sumo style, is that it?

also with stiff leg the bar isn't going to ride up the shin either? more likely the bar is out in front off the shins a bit too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Travis,
    You ever use snatch grip deads for your lifters/athletes?

Ryan Hale
    Not really

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    wide stance stiff leg DL vs. Sumo, ? only difference is the bending of knees in sumo style, is that it?

also with stiff leg the bar isn't going to ride up the shin either? more likely the bar is out in front off the shins a bit too, right?
    No. Wide stance SLDL is done with a much wider stance than you would pull regular sumo. It's exaggerated. That's how you get the hips worked

And actually it's the opposite with the shins, when your legs are straight, you have to have the bar more in front of you at the start of the lift as you need to maintain a tight arch.

I think more threads like this one are REALLY cool and helpful!

It is nice to be able to let people know how many of the lifts we do can help athletes in many different sports, all really, but never the less the discussion is an educational one and interesting to see everyones ideas.

Hi Travis, Regarding the wide stance stiff-legged DL, where in relation are your toes to the plates?.

Is this about right?. Like an inch or 2 inside?. Or wider?.

Video
    Last edited by Cali4nia; 09-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali4nia View Post
    Hi Travis, Regarding the wide stance stiff-legged DL, where in relation are your toes to the plates?.

Is this about right?. Like an inch or 2 inside?. Or wider?.
    Foot position is about right, but no that is not quite correct on how to perform them.

I can say after spending 15 years of training college and high school athletes, I wish more coaches would incorproate the Deadlift. Most coaches are afraid of "injury", hence the popularity of the hex/trap bar deadlift.When I have been able to incorporate the deadlift, within a year the atheltes almost transform from the top of the shoulders to the back of there knees. I have had many coaches see our kids in a uniform and ask "what the hell are we doing to develop these kids?". Im not saying its for everyone, but it has without a doubt been "100%" beneficial for the athletes I have trained. And forget the term "sport specific", its over-used and over analyzed.
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Foot position is about right, but no that is not quite correct on how to perform them.
    Travis, Since you train at one of the Worlds top powerlifting gyms, Would you happen to know why Bolton is head & shoulders above everyone else in the sport & Why nobody from Westside can touch him?, Even with having a world class figure such as Louie on board?.
    Last edited by Cali4nia; 09-10-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bojackson View Post
    I can say after spending 15 years of training college and high school athletes, I wish more coaches would incorproate the Deadlift. Most coaches are afraid of "injury", hence the popularity of the hex/trap bar deadlift.When I have been able to incorporate the deadlift, within a year the atheltes almost transform from the top of the shoulders to the back of there knees. I have had many coaches see our kids in a uniform and ask "what the hell are we doing to develop these kids?". Im not saying its for everyone, but it has without a doubt been "100%" beneficial for the athletes I have trained. And forget the term "sport specific", its over-used and over analyzed.
    Was Bo big into deadlifting?.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali4nia View Post
    Travis, Since you train at one of the Worlds top powerlifting gyms, Would you happen to know why Andy Bolton is head & shoulders above everyone else in the sport & Why nobody from Westside can touch him?, Even with having a world class figure such as Louie on board?.
    LOL um, maybe for the same reason that NOBODY else can catch him? Same reason that NOBODY can touch Kennelly on the bench?

Those guys are built for and genetically gifted for what they do. It's that simple. A coach can't create genetics.

Oh well.

At least your better looking.

Thats something at least.
    Last edited by Cali4nia; 09-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Let's be honest, how often do you see nautical enthusiasts, archers, equestrians (horse riders) or the like in the gym? .
    Well to be honest ... any day I go to the gym I see at least 3 archers and a dozen or so equestrians ... I also live in Cowboy Country. LOL but your point is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    Well to be honest ... any day I go to the gym I see at least 3 archers and a dozen or so equestrians ... I also live in Cowboy Country. LOL but your point is well taken.
    Yeah my point was just that they are probably not in there to improve their performance in their given sport. They are there to be lifters just like the rest of us. In addition, even if they were, deadlifting a specific way isn't going to make a big difference.

However should they be in there to improve their sport performance, I suppose you probably can't argue that lol.