The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question: unable to complete 2,2,2 - too much weight?

Im finding that in some exercises, particularly pressing ones, that im able to do 6,2 and then possibly 2, but even then this is a struggle. Today I managed 6,2,1 in my ohp, even though the first set felt comfortable enough. Is this a case of me using too much weight, or just having poor endurance? I have no issues with this in squats or rows/chins etc, only ohp and benching seem to be effected. I tried adding more rest, but the problem remains.

So would it be an idea to cut down the weight by another 10% or so and begin to work up?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Funny, I find the first cluster of 2's to be the hardest. The other two final sets seem to get easier and I end up taking shorter rests between them.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

My preference would be to reduce the load a touch as you suggest so that you can complete the reps. Depending on what loads you're pressing 10% might be too much of a reduction. You say comfortable, so I don't know whether that means you had another rep in the tank or whether you comfortably did a true 6RM, but my advice would be leave a rep or two in the tank and avoid slow grinding reps.

Your strength and conditioning will eventually catch-up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    My preference would be to reduce the load a touch as you suggest so that you can complete the reps. Depending on what loads you're pressing 10% might be too much of a reduction. You say comfortable, so I don't know whether that means you had another rep in the tank or whether you comfortably did a true 6RM, but my advice would be leave a rep or two in the tank and avoid slow grinding reps.

Your strength and conditioning will eventually catch-up.
    Comfortable meant with another rep in the tank today. Im using 125lbs at the moment, which ive dropped from 135lbs because Ive stalled there.
    Last edited by Alnor10; 07-21-2010 at 11:54 AM.

This helps you none, but I'm the very same way on OHP.
    I can't seem to get the very last sets of 2's after 115 x 6.
    It felt easier today, though. So I think I'm still moving forward on it.

Steve probably answered it for you (us).
    Last edited by Bosch232; 07-21-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Wannabebig Member
    Not just me then

I wonder if dropping the weight as I go would help? Using 125/130 for 6,2 and then dropping by 5lbs or so for each of the last 2 sets?
    130x6
    130x2
    125x2
    120x2?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    My preference would be to reduce the load a touch as you suggest so that you can complete the reps.

^ I'd take this guy's advice. ^
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Workout partner and I have been doing the program for about 2 months and I usually take 15-45 sec rest between the clusters and never really had a problem with them. Bar speed wasn't as fast but I didn't ever really need a spot for the 2's, even if I missed a rep on the working set. My workout buddy was having a problem with that though, he'd miss cluster reps but be consistently hitting his 6's. I'm not sure what he changed but about 1-2 weeks ago he stopped missing the clusters too. I think he's just eating more :P
    Last edited by SplitQuick; 07-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Not sure if this will help you, but I have since tackled 115 x 6 +2 +2 +2 since my last post here.

Maybe you just need a few more sessions with it.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 08-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.

I found i had that same problem on Bench, OH Press and Deadlifts,

I have now managed to get it down so i oly get it now and again with OH press and that is normally getting the weight from the floor to fully extended the first time.

Listen to Daniel mate it will come
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'