The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Getting Big Without the Big Three - New Article!

The Big Three are some of the best mass and strength builders around. However, despite how great they may be, they’re not always the best fit for every bodybuilder.

If you’ve been hard-headed about sticking to a certain movement and paying a painful price for it, you're in luck.

We break down each of the Big Three individually and dissect what’s going on, when the movement might not be a good idea, and some solid alternatives to pack on muscle!

READ HERE

Let us know if you found this useful and if you have any questions post them here!
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-24-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    The Big Three are some of the best mass and strength builders around. However, despite how great they may be, they’re not always the best fit for every bodybuilder.

If you’ve been hard-headed about sticking to a certain movement and paying a painful price for it, you're in luck.

We break down each of the Big Three individually and dissect what’s going on, when the movement might not be a good idea, and some solid alternatives to pack on muscle!

READ HERE

Let us know if you found this useful and if you have any questions post them here!
    Great article. You guys have really been putting out some quality articles lately.

Thanks! Much more of the same to come.

But the real congrats needs to go to JC for this article, it's great to have people of his quality now writing for us!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

My first thoughts are blasphemy...but I will now read it with an open mind
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I agree.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Another brilliant article! I know I touched on this subject in the HCT-12 series but it needed a full article to do it justice and this certainly did that.

Yes, I agree with most of the article. Certainly, if you can't safely or effectively do a certain movement, you should find an alternative.

My only beef (respectfully of course) would be that I think the body DOES know the difference between a heavy back squat and a leg press (or some of the other alternatives). Yes, both will stimulate growth, but there is a perceived difference. You just can't replace that fight-or-die response, increasing the appetite, activating all the stabilizers, and the struggle to maintain form with some of the other movements. And I think these are valuable tools to force the body to adapt, especially for new lifters..
    Last edited by Off Road; 06-24-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Well, you can't know that if you never tried it..i trained my legs for a very long time without squatting and added nice mass and definition, recently a month or two ago i added squats and it doesn't really make a difference to me, besides maybe my abs and back get hit harder. But as far as leg development only, i don't think you need it.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Thanks! Much more of the same to come.

But the real congrats needs to go to JC for this article, it's great to have people of his quality now writing for us!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Another brilliant article! I know I touched on this subject in the HCT-12 series but it needed a full article to do it justice and this certainly did that.
    thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    hahaha, trust me, I said a few Hail Mary's as I wrote this.

Good article for those who are against using starting strength to give them alternatives to use.

Hey i do weighted dips!!! 70 5x5!

This is a great article btw! I learned somethin. But the big 3 are the most fun lifts ever!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Nice article!
    Our great war is spiritual. Our great depression is our lives.

Weight: 185lbs
    Height: 6'0
    Bodyfat: 14%

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Interesting article.

Here is what I did when bodybuilding training:

Upper Body:
    - Weighted Pullups
    - Dumbbell Press (Flat/Incline/Military)
    - Incline Bench Press
    - Hammer Strength Rows
    - Isolation movements for deltoids, biceps, and triceps

Lower Body:
    - High Box Squats (to a bench)
    - Sumo Deadlift
    - Standing Lunges
    - Leg Press
    - Various machines

I found this to be very effective though I did not perform conventional deadlift, squat, or bench press. What I did was train with free weights using variations of the 'Big Three' that were more comfortable or would allow me to focus solely on performance and not have to worry as much about technique or injuries.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    I loved the article.

I had a conversation a number of years ago with a marketing rep from a large chain of sports nutrition stores located on the west coast. I was publishing my magazine Peak Training Journal at the time and they were interested in coming onboard as advertisers. When I mentioned to him how we covered both bodybuilding and the strength sports, he smiled wistfully and said, "I have not seen someone do a deadlift in the gym in years." Coming from Ohio, and training specifically at hardcore dungeons, that really caught me offguard. In a world of mega-fit spas and "lunk alarms" it seems as though things have gone too far in the other direction.

JC Deen's article takes on a smart "best tool for the job" approach for those that find the basic tools don't quite fit their hands properly. Nice work!

Great article... a few questions:

1. Having a hard time finding information on some of these exercises - such as - belt squat. db split squat, neutral grip decline, RDL + Glute and Ham Raises, barbell glute bridge...

These arent very common exercises that I see in the gym... where do I learn about them and the correct form?

2. If I do Rack Pulls, will I need to do shrugs and back extensions too, or do Rack Pulls give the benefit of that already?

3. Why do you not suggest Smith Squats as an alternative to regular squats?

Thanks! I like an article that goes against conventional wisdom!
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 06-26-2010 at 06:51 PM.

My apologies for seeming like a douche bag and not answering these sooner. I thought I was subscribed to get email notifications... eerrm no.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Great article... a few questions:

1. Having a hard time finding information on some of these exercises - such as - belt squat. db split squat, neutral grip decline, RDL + Glute and Ham Raises, barbell glute bridge...

These arent very common exercises that I see in the gym... where do I learn about them and the correct form?
    btw, I love you in SP

RDL's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnBREGM7pE0
    -Really good tutorial

Belt Squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PldcPTOACm4
    -don't really like the way he sets it up but gives you an idea of what it looks like

Barbell glute bridge from the "glute guy" himself, Bret Contreras
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rSrFdq9P0

Brazilian Butt Lift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQ2kW-FvMk
    -at least the comments are funny.

GHR with a partner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6Ai5ty6oY
    -awesomeness ensues.

GHR on a machine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne_pPfxb-_8
    -he talked a lot at the beginning, so I fast-forwarded it. I hope his talking doesn't suck. The technique looks good, tho.

2. If I do Rack Pulls, will I need to do shrugs and back extensions too, or do Rack Pulls give the benefit of that already?
    you could and it wouldn't be a problem but a rack pull is just a deadlift with less ROM.

3. Why do you not suggest Smith Squats as an alternative to regular squats?
    there's a lot of differing ideas about that piece of equipment, and personally, I don't care for it much. I'd much rather have someone on a sled leg press or hack squat any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Interesting article.

I found this to be very effective though I did not perform conventional deadlift, squat, or bench press. What I did was train with free weights using variations of the 'Big Three' that were more comfortable or would allow me to focus solely on performance and not have to worry as much about technique or injuries.
    routine looked solid. I love the big three, actually.
    the bold is what I'm most adamant about. Do something that will produce the most results in the safest way possible. This ensures you can do it for the long-haul. Plus, avoiding injury is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    I loved the article.

I had a conversation a number of years ago with a marketing rep from a large chain of sports nutrition stores located on the west coast. I was publishing my magazine Peak Training Journal at the time and they were interested in coming onboard as advertisers. When I mentioned to him how we covered both bodybuilding and the strength sports, he smiled wistfully and said, "I have not seen someone do a deadlift in the gym in years." Coming from Ohio, and training specifically at hardcore dungeons, that really caught me offguard. In a world of mega-fit spas and "lunk alarms" it seems as though things have gone too far in the other direction.

JC Deen's article takes on a smart "best tool for the job" approach for those that find the basic tools don't quite fit their hands properly. Nice work!
    really glad you enjoyed it, Steve. I've been tickled pink with your contributions to WBB since you came aboard.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering about rack deads. I've been trying to get into the proper deadlift form but my hamstrings are really really tight. As a result, I think the rack deadlift would help with progressive flexibility. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Clementinho View Post
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering about rack deads. I've been trying to get into the proper deadlift form but my hamstrings are really really tight. As a result, I think the rack deadlift would help with progressive flexibility. What do you guys think?
    yes, that's fine. what are you currently doing for improving your hamstring flexibility? single leg med ball DL's are great for improving mobility and flexibility.

Great article, kept me busy at work for a while

I liked the theory behind using DB press rather than bench, very intresting.

Thanks again mate.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Glad you found it of interest. I've been blessed with wonky shoulders, therefore DB presses are the only thing I can do if I want to avoid injury.