The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Walking for fatloss?

Ok so here's the deal, i want to get my bf % down a bit, now i'm doubting what i should do:

1) Do some fatburning cardio in the gym after an intense workout

2) Taking a walk in the morning before having breakfast etc.

I've read that both are good, i just don't know which one is better, i'm not THAT experienced with cardio and fatloss i haven't been training for ages and mostly i've been bulking.

Right now i'm more on a strict diet so the most important thing is lose some bodyfat but be gentil on the muscles, don't wanna lose any of those..
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You don't really have to worry about muscle loss until once your bodyfat gets extremely low (sub 8% or so). Once you get down to the point where your bodyfat is low enough so that you have a flat stomach, and good muscle definition, you won't care if you happed to have lost a few lbs. in muscle anyway....trust me!

That being said, I suggest participating in a sport that you are interested in. The main reason for this is because it will allow you to stick with it. Doing cardio seems to be the toughest thing to stay commited to for most people. My personal choice of 'cardio' is Jiu-jitsu, and I absolutely love it! Training heavy and doing the JJ has gotten me in the absolute best shape I have ever been in, and I have never once been concerned with muscle loss.

Now, if you don't want to do a sport as suggested, and you are strictly limited to both of your choices....personally, I'd go for cardio immediately after the lifting session. My personal preference of 'in the gym' cardio is barbell circuits. They are excellent for fat loss!!!

But trust me, once you start getting cut you will not be concerned with muscle loss. In fact, you will most likely continue wanting to get more cut!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Honestly at the stage where you are just starting to lose some fat, it doesn't really matter much. Do it whenever you are most likely to be consistent about getting it in. For instance, if it's a huge inconvenience to do it in the morning, you are likely to stop if life gets a little hectic. Get the work in however you need to.
    The biggest difference will be made by your diet.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not a big fan of walking for the sake of fat loss (I walk nearly 4 miles a day just getting to work and back). It's incredibly inefficient relative to high-intensity cardio. But like Sean said, the biggest difference will be in your diet.

Wannabebig Member
    I started out about 232 lbs, around 19%-20% BF. I've been working on a slow cut / trying to recomp for the last 5 weeks.

The first 3 weeks I did low intensity steady state cardio after weight lifting, 4 times per week 30 to 40 minutes per session. During this time I lost about 4 lbs and progressed on all lifts (hopefully this means I was keeping/adding muscle). My calorie deficit was about 200 to 400 below maintenance plus what I burned on the cardio.

For the last 2 and half weeks I have been doing AM fasted cardio, specifically walking for about 35 minutes, then doing my weight lifting in the evenings. My diet has remained unchanged. I have lost about 8 lbs in this time. I haven't experience any drops in strength and have continued to progress in my lifts. One thing to note is that I live in an area with lots of steep hills, so portions on my walk are higher intensity.

It might all be coincidence but so far AM cardio seems to be doing the trick for me.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I've personally never been a fan of the traditional cardio/walking kind of stuff. Others will disagree but I see it as a waste of time or simply not being efficient with your training time. Just my .02, but perhaps some things work better for others.

I lift heavy M-W-F and do HIIT/Tabata on T-Th-S and it has helped me recomp. pretty well for my first 4 months of training. At this point I'm leaning more towards bulking though, however am not seeing my BF% raise at all (if anything it might still be dropping a bit), so that is still a good sign. If I wanted to cut though and accelerate the fat loss I'd just drop my overall caloric intake and keep my same training regime.

And as with anything, diet is most important.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

It's just since a few days that i started using a more strict diet, not really a weight loss diet, but just healthy foods, lots of protein etc.. I'm not very fat either, cuz i have some definition, i'm 1m85 weighing 87kg, it's early so i'm a bit lazy to look for a converter.

Most of my fat is stored around my quads and lower abs. I was thinking maybe instead of cardio, making my leg work a bit more brutal and doing abs 3 days a week; i only do 'em one day for now with some result so i suppose i could crank that up.

I'm pretty sure a 20-30 minute hard ab workout will also shed some fat?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    It's just since a few days that i started using a more strict diet, not really a weight loss diet, but just healthy foods, lots of protein etc.. I'm not very fat either, cuz i have some definition, i'm 1m85 weighing 87kg, it's early so i'm a bit lazy to look for a converter.

Most of my fat is stored around my quads and lower abs. I was thinking maybe instead of cardio, making my leg work a bit more brutal and doing abs 3 days a week; i only do 'em one day for now with some result so i suppose i could crank that up.

I'm pretty sure a 20-30 minute hard ab workout will also shed some fat?
    Walking before eating in the A.M. or cardio after workouts? Why do you have to choose or figure which one is better? You can do both!