Thread: box squating raw

box squating raw

i know box squating is mainly for the geared lifters, just wondering if anyone does them raw and how much they helped?

Our raw lifters still do the vast majority of their squatting to a box. It's the best way to teach the squat. It's also the best way to use squatting to develop the posterior chain.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I think they are beneficial both ways. We're doing almost exclusively box squat right now. Most of our guys are not in gear yet. It reinforces that proper grovve to keep the bar and the heels in a perpendicular line with each other for the best power groove to push up through. I keep them in my own training wheather prepping for a raw or equipped meet. One note: We don't sit heavy on the box. As soon as it touches the butt we push back up. That way there are no technique habits to have to untrain at meet time.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

im doing 5/3/1 BBB right now and thinking about adding box squats in as an accessory to my squat day. what % are you guys using of your 1rm raw squat for the box squats?

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    im doing 5/3/1 BBB right now and thinking about adding box squats in as an accessory to my squat day. what % are you guys using of your 1rm raw squat for the box squats?
    If you're using box squats as your BBB accesory, I'd keep it light, somewhere around 45-55%, especially if your doing sets of 10.
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

Percentages drive me nuts. This isn't math class. I go by feel and go heavy enough where I'm leaving 1-2 reps in the tank.
    www.wildirongym.com

i agree that the whole percentage thing is annoying and tedious, but its a good starting point. i don't stick to it religiously but i like to know where is a good place to begin at.

Id say do them if you can get them to work...I rarely box squat because I suck at them.
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

Quote Originally Posted by brauny96 View Post
    Id say do them if you can get them to work...I rarely box squat because I suck at them.
    why do you suck at them? i know i need to work on some flexibility issues in my hamstrings and glutes. i try to foam roll and stretch every night.

Quote Originally Posted by brauny96 View Post
    That means you should do them MORE not avoid them. Doing things you suck at makes you stronger.
    www.wildirongym.com

Honestly, I feel that just below parr or parr box squats have little carryover in the raw squat. If you use them as an accessory movement, that is ok. I think good ole fashion squats with added tension (not extreme), or without, and real low (like 4" below parr) box squats are beneficial.

Adam Hires

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    That means you should do them MORE not avoid them. Doing things you suck at makes you stronger.
    I know and I will...i'm kind of scared to at the moment because I dont want to mess up my training cycle for my next meet which starts in 2 weeks...
    "The iron never lies to you, people can tell you your a god, or a total bastard, but the iron will always kick you the real deal"

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    why do you suck at them? i know i need to work on some flexibility issues in my hamstrings and glutes. i try to foam roll and stretch every night.
    I suck at them because I'm weak. My hips are weak and so are my ham strings. I did them yesterday, and barely got 275+2 sets of hanging chains for a double, and I smoked 345+plus the chains on a free squat.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think that box squats really have much use to a raw lifter, they'd be much better replaced with just doing more real squats. Box squats take you out of the hardest portion of the raw movement and are not the same as regular squats meaning you fall out of the proper groove through continuous box squat training.
    Raw 220/105kg lifter
    Best comp lifts:
    252.5kg/170kg/320kg
    120SN/140CJ

Best gym lifts
    257/175//320
    120SN/146CJ

i tried them for the first time last week and i really didn't like them. they were tough but i think i would rather just do some real squats instead. like you guys were saying the groove was all off and just didn't feel the same, obviously. being that it was just an accessory movement though i figured it wouldn't do some harm to check them out.

Dr. Subtotal
    I compete single-ply and typically drop box squats 10-11 weeks out and focus on free squat volume for frequency. However, in the offseason following a meet, I typically will perform DE style box squats for conditioning purposes (with no accommodating resistance) and then for speed-strength purposes (2 or 3 cycles against varied bands). I will also perform SE squats with programming from Prileprin's Table during the same micro cycle, ie week.

Overall, I find that raw DE Box Squats are a good way to do two things: increase your bar speed on deadlifts and increase volume on the posterior chain muscles and hips. Many raw lifters squat with a narrow stance and raw box squatting is a good way to bring up lagging hip strength. Much in the same way correctly done floor presses will bring up a raw bench.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I just squatted heavy today raw without a box for the first time in 2 years and I didn't feel comfortable all day, because i'm use to a box being there. IMO, just from today's experience, box squats are better off for geared lifters or as an accessory. Your probably better off just squatting or doing paused squats. I have my first raw meet in 11 weeks so I really hope I can kick the habit of trying to sit back on a box.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

I dont think box squats do much for a raw guy. When I was in gear I could box squat 775 raw for a double off a 15 inch box but if I tried 675 with just wraps raw it would barry me. Even when I cut it high LOL.

I like plain old fashion squats. They work for everybody.

If you need variation invest in some bars.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I must be the only person who can comfortably go from raw box squats to raw free squats. The numbers on my free squat are always higher.

I am however a very bad box squatter, my best is a little less then 600lbs.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

My training partner swears by them. I don't think they make a difference, and just go with plain squats.

I haven't been training long, about 4 months. I see carryover to my deadlifts from them i think. I was consistently making gains, and I slacked on these and seemed to stall on deads. So i think at least for me they help my deads, not sure any carryover on free squats though.