Thread: Questions regarding DB Benching

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Questions regarding DB Benching

I've recently switched from BB Benching to DB Benching, and have a few questions...

1. DB Benching feels like I'm doing flies, as compared to BB Bench. Is this because when I lower the DB's, my hands are a bit wide apart, and when I press up, they end up coming together? I'm just not really sure on correct form with it because with BB your hands stay the same width apart the whole time. How should I do them if I want to be able to press the most weight possible? I suppose I try to keep my hands wider apart during the press upward, but they just naturally close in for some reason.

2. I lower the DB's until I feel a pretty deep stretch in my pecs, virtually as low as I can go. I could probably go a tad bit further but the RoM feels very full to me. Should I not go so low as to stretch the pecs? Is that dangerous?

3. My shoulders (especially my right one for some reason) tend to feel a bit shakey during the exercise. Is this simply an effect of recently switching over from BB? Stabilizers and what not?

4. When setting up, I bring the dumbbells up and rest them on my quads, with my grip in hammer position. Then I sort of just fall backward while keeping the DB's tight, proceed to set up my arch and then press. It feels a bit weird just having my back sorta slam down onto the bench. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 08-11-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

1. DB Benching feels like I'm doing flies, as compared to BB Bench. Is this because when I lower the DB's, my hands are a bit wide apart, and when I press up, they end up coming together? I'm just not really sure on correct form with it because with BB your hands stay the same width apart the whole time. How should I do them if I want to be able to press the most weight possible? I suppose I try to keep my hands wider apart during the press upward, but they just naturally close in for some reason.
    You should be bringing the dumbells closer together at the top. Here's a couple of videos showing technique.

http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/ex...l-bench-press/
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

2. I lower the DB's until I feel a pretty deep stretch in my pecs, virtually as low as I can go. I could probably go a tad bit further but the RoM feels very full to me. Should I not go so low as to stretch the pecs? Is that dangerous?
    I prefer to go as low as possible. It feels better to me to utilise the full ROM.

3. My shoulders (especially my right one for some reason) tend to feel a bit shakey during the exercise. Is this simply an effect of recently switching over from BB? Stabilizers and what not?
    Probably.

4. When setting up, I bring the dumbbells up and rest them on my quads, with my grip in hammer position. Then I sort of just fall backward while keeping the DB's tight, proceed to set up my arch and then press. It feels a bit weird just having my back sorta slam down onto the bench. Is there a better way of doing this?
    Do you train alone or with a partner?

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    I've recently switched from BB Benching to DB Benching, and have a few questions...

I do my IC DB pressing the way you describe. I think it really hits the chest harder.

That's about what I do. I go until I feel a deep stretch in my pecs, which usually means that the DBs end up in line with my pecs.

Yea, probably

I don't know how else you'd get in position unless you have someone hand them to you. But then Rory'll laugh at you.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.
    Haha...I hate when that happens
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Haha...I hate when that happens
    Lol, yep. I figured I'd be a smart@ss and fill it with that message.

Wannabebig Member
    I bring them until they touch my shoulders, then I press them back up. It's always how I've done it, and it seems to work fairly well.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

Aight thanks everyone, that helps a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFatboy View Post
    I keep the dumbbells on my knees and rock back on bench, bringing my knees up and rocking the dumbbells back with my arms locked out. It puts me right into a pressing position with the dumbbells in the air. Kind of like starting with a barbell off the rack. I have done this with dumbbells as heavy has 140 lbs. each with no problems.
    Can you describe this a bit more in detail? I'm having trouble imagining. So you use your knees to drive the DB's upward? Doesn't that still leave you with about half a press to do before reaching the top/start of set? Also, do you find it unsturdy at all to have your legs in the air when going back?

Thanks.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Okay cool. Thanks again everyone.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I don't know how else you'd get in position unless you have someone hand them to you. But then Rory'll laugh at you.
    There's legitimate reason to have a spotter hand you weights at times but the comment I made you're referencing was directed at those who never learn how to set up their own lifts and basically couldn't lift without a partner. I think thats silly. If you can deadlift and rock back your weight youre gonna do for reps you shouldn't be pressing it. If you're going for a DB max or something then by all means take the gerber route.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 08-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    There's legitimate reason to have a spotter hand you weights at times but the comment I made you're referencing was directed at those who never learn how to set up their own lifts and basically couldn't lift without a partner. I think thats silly. If you can deadlift and rock back your weight youre gonna do for reps you shouldn't be pressing it. If you're going for a DB max or something then by all means take the gerber route.
    I know. I was just busting your balls.

In other news, I sprouted one nad hair during squats today. Pics to follow.