Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Skip Breakfast: The Secrets of Intermittent Fasting - New Article!

Yeah, IF is not for everyone.

For me it definitely gives me a psycholigical advantage when it comes to food. I love the feeling of being full and I can look forward to it in my eating window. Also, because I need to eat a lot of calories during that time, i find it easy to stick to my oats, sweet potato, lean meats, veggies etc. The fasting period also changes one's mindset about snacking, and I dont crave that constant snacking like I used to. FOr me, this method is simple and easy, and I find it much easier to calculate my calorie intake and macro's accurately. I prepare two meals for work, and have one large meal at home after gym. With an adition of 3 or 4 protein shakes.

Of course there are many health benefits associated with this kind of fasting, as well as positive hormonal implications that promote better body composition..

But each to there own, it's good to try new things until you find what works best for you and you can then pbjectively weigh up your options (for training and nutrition). For the better part of 6 years I followed an 8 meals a day plan; I also experiment with the Anabolic diet for 5 months, following it to the T (which gave great results, but even though it is not supposed to, it increased my cholestrol big time). And I also experimented with a low fat diet (which was the worst - just resulted in sore joints and constant hunger). So for me, IF is the one!

I started leangains IF about a year ago and never looked back. Slow bulked for over 6 months and kept fully defined abs which I have never got anywhere close to doing before doing IF

Quote Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
    Yeah, IF is not for everyone.

For me it definitely gives me a psycholigical advantage when it comes to food. I love the feeling of being full and I can look forward to it in my eating window. Also, because I need to eat a lot of calories during that time, i find it easy to stick to my oats, sweet potato, lean meats, veggies etc. The fasting period also changes one's mindset about snacking, and I dont crave that constant snacking like I used to.
    I agree with the fact that it changes one's mindset on snacking. I would add to it that it IF also teaches one to be content while being hungry because there is a period each and every day when you're legitimately not hungry. With traditional dieting that just doesn't ever exist (at least it never did for me) so being mildly hungry for the first half of the day becomes completely tolerable.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Some fasting benefits (I read on some health website):

Fasting promotes detoxification. As the body breaks down its fat reserves, it mobilizes and eliminates stored toxins.
    Fasting gives the digestive system a much-needed rest. After fasting, both digestion and elimination are invigorated.
    Fasting promotes the resolution of inflammatory processes, such as in rheumatoid arthritis.
    Fasting quiets allergic reactions, including asthma and hay fever.
    Fasting promotes the drying up of abnormal fluid accumulations, such as edema in the ankles and legs and swelling in the abdomen.
    Fasting corrects high blood pressure without drugs. Fasting will normalize blood pressure in the vast majority of cases, the blood pressure will remain low after the fast, if the person follows a health-supporting diet and lifestyle.
    Fasting makes it easy to overcome bad habits and addictions. Many people have overcome tobacco and alcohol addictions by fasting, and even drug addictions. Fasting rapidly dissipates the craving for nicotine, alcohol, caffeine and other drugs.
    Fasting clears the skin and whitens the eyes. It is common to see skin eruptions clear while fasting, and the whites of the eyes never look so clear and bright as they do after fasting.
    Fasting restores taste appreciation for wholesome natural foods. People say that their taste buds come alive after fasting and that food never tasted so good.
    Fasting is the perfect gateway to a healthful diet and lifestyle. Going on a fast gives you the motivation and enthusiasm to make a fresh start.
    Fasting initiates rapid weight loss with little or no hunger. Most people are surprised at how little desire for food they have while fasting.

...yeah. Source please

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    According to whom?
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quoted from Dr. Cinque - he is frequent speaker in major health and anti-aging conferences. And runs a health fasting retreat.

Im not saying I agree with all the points, I was just reading it and found it interesting so I thought I would share with others, that's all.

I gather that these points, his views on benefits, are are related to longer fasting periods, not short term IF. But it's always nice to see ample possitive takes on a fasting lifestyle

Dr Cinque? He's a damn chiro who sells HGH spray.

Those points are, honestly, baseless claims that teeter somewhere between intellectual bankruptcy and refried bullshit.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
    Some fasting benefits (I read on some health website):

Fasting promotes detoxification. As the body breaks down its fat reserves, it mobilizes and eliminates stored toxins.
    Fasting gives the digestive system a much-needed rest. After fasting, both digestion and elimination are invigorated.
    Fasting promotes the resolution of inflammatory processes, such as in rheumatoid arthritis.
    Fasting quiets allergic reactions, including asthma and hay fever.
    Fasting promotes the drying up of abnormal fluid accumulations, such as edema in the ankles and legs and swelling in the abdomen.
    Fasting corrects high blood pressure without drugs. Fasting will normalize blood pressure in the vast majority of cases, the blood pressure will remain low after the fast, if the person follows a health-supporting diet and lifestyle.
    Fasting makes it easy to overcome bad habits and addictions. Many people have overcome tobacco and alcohol addictions by fasting, and even drug addictions. Fasting rapidly dissipates the craving for nicotine, alcohol, caffeine and other drugs.
    Fasting clears the skin and whitens the eyes. It is common to see skin eruptions clear while fasting, and the whites of the eyes never look so clear and bright as they do after fasting.
    Fasting restores taste appreciation for wholesome natural foods. People say that their taste buds come alive after fasting and that food never tasted so good.
    Fasting is the perfect gateway to a healthful diet and lifestyle. Going on a fast gives you the motivation and enthusiasm to make a fresh start.
    Fasting initiates rapid weight loss with little or no hunger. Most people are surprised at how little desire for food they have while fasting.
    wat.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by milivojac View Post
    Then, divide those calories into around 55 percent protein,
    wtf.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    wtf.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Banned
    Man, if I go > three hours w/o food I start feelin' like shit. Another hour or two and I get a headache. I'm gonna consult Kai Green for his opinion. LMAO. That's just me though. I'm sure Rambo could go a lot longer. The whole program doesn't seem suited to natural ectomorphs.

I have been giving this a try for the past week. I work a 9-5 job so the only really practical time for me to train is after work between 7-8. I dont like to train before work or during work because my body always remains quite hot after a training session which will make me sweat for the whole day during work.
    I actually find it really easy to skip breakfast. I am usually very busy in the mornings anyway so I always have other things on my mind other than food. I just dont know how much of a benefit I will be getting from doing this because my big fast-breaking meal is not my post-workout meal. Although I can see how it could be a good way to keep your calories under control if you are trying to lean up. I have definitely made progress with my cut (only a few months away from summer here in Australia) in the past week that I have been on it, but I can't attribute my progress to the fasting because I was making solid progress even before trying this.

Banned
    I also find it very easy to skip breakfast. I work in an office sitting down all morning, and there is really no need for my body to get nutrients. Does it work? I wouldn't know to be honest, it is a long time since I live/eat this way.

where can you find sample meals and diets that go with this program? can you lose fat or gain muscle equally well on this diet? do you just find what caloric level you want and get 1.5g protein/ lb bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs and fat?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    where can you find sample meals and diets that go with this program? can you lose fat or gain muscle equally well on this diet? do you just find what caloric level you want and get 1.5g protein/ lb bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs and fat?
    This isn't really a set diet, just changes the meal timing, and calorie amounts per meal. Some protein levels have been set for some of the meals though (e.g. first meal on a rest day). Check out the Leangains Guide on leangains.com in the "popular" section for more info. If you know the calorie amount you need and have a rough idea of the macros it's easy to get on this diet

I personally have been on it for over a year and have never in my life been able to bulk for so long with such minimal fat gains, and the timing etc suits me perfectly but I work in an office also

I was under the impression that one reason BBers do 6+ meals instead of 3 is that you can only absorb so many nutrients at each meal. I guess this isn't true since so many people are having success with this plan. Would you mind posting one of your sample diets? Or does the leangains website have a page where people post their meals?

you can only absorb so many nutrients at each meal.
    This is quite false. Any meal you eat can take over 24 hours to be fully digested. Whether you eat 1 meal a day or 6, there will still be a constant release of some nutrients into your system. Granted, certain types of nutrients are absorbed quickly (such as sugars and amino acids from short chain polypeptides), but there's no true limit on absorption of these in healthy adults.

I was under the impression that one reason BBers do 6+ meals instead of 3 is that you can only absorb so many nutrients at each meal. I guess this isn't true since so many people are having success with this plan. Would you mind posting one of your sample diets? Or does the leangains website have a page where people post their meals?
    As long as your foods suit the calories/macros in the Leangains guide you should be ok. Fitday.com is a good tool to calculate all this (there are other good sites also if you don't like Fitday)

you said you have been bulking with minimal fat gains successfully with this diet. How did you setup your total calories and macros to achieve this?

you said you have been bulking with minimal fat gains successfully with this diet. How did you setup your total calories and macros to achieve this?
    Yes but that is doing a slow bulk, mainly looking at strength numbers as opposed to scale weight. The key for me was starting at maintenance calories then when progress stalls consistently, up it 200 calories per day. The 200 calorie increment lasts a fair while also before progress stalls consistently again. Also, it may not make much difference but Martin said he does something similar (I think) - I had extra cals on workout days then on the last rest day of my longest break I ate under maintenance so that daily calories for the week added up correctly.

Macro-wise, this is highly individual but I just had higher carbs on workout days and lower carbs on rest days, and had 100g protein with my first meal on rest days. This is all in the leangains guide though

I have bulked in a very similar fashion before, but since doing it with lean gains I have kept the bodyfat down majorly compared to other bulks I have done. I don't think I'll ever go back to a normal way of eating
    Last edited by greemah; 09-28-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Hey man I appreciate the replies. I couldn't find specifics in the guide it said the specifics are in his book. Is this something like you did:

I weigh 185

185x15 = 2775 = maintenance calories
    subtract 500 calories to lose fat = 2275
    185x1.5 = 277 = g protein needed per day; (1108 calories from protein)

2275-1108 = 1667 = calories to split between fat and carbs

Now my question is how should I split these remaining calories? Is this how you did it? Then when I want to bulk I will just add 200 calories until I hit a plateau then add 200 more.

When you say "so my week added up correctly" did you just calculate the daily calories x 7 and just made sure it came out to this number at the end of each week?
    Last edited by yayeti; 09-29-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    hey its very good article.

Wannabebig New Member
    but in my opinion breakfast is very necessary...
    you can take juice or fruit salad..
    it will be very light and it gives energy too.
    Last edited by Off Road; 09-29-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Now my question is how should I split these remaining calories? Is this how you did it? Then when I want to bulk I will just add 200 calories until I hit a plateau then add 200 more.
    You got it mate. With splitting the remaining calories, it doesn't really matter too much, but the guide recommends having higher carbs on training days and higher fats/lower carbs on off days. It doesn't give any more detail so interpret that how you like. Personally I just do about 70g fats on training days and about 110g on off days. However my body does ok on high carb even when trying to lose fat so the numbers are pretty individual

When you say "so my week added up correctly" did you just calculate the daily calories x 7 and just made sure it came out to this number at the end of each week?
    Exactly right. I don't think the guide mentions doing anything this way (having a day under maintenance), but I read it from him somewhere else on the site. I haven't tried it without doing it this way so can't comment on how much of a difference it makes. Could always try both ways

Quote Originally Posted by katewillson View Post
    but in my opinion breakfast is very necessary...
    you can take juice or fruit salad..
    it will be very light and it gives energy too.
    Not sure if trolling?