Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why You Should Skip Breakfast: The Secrets of Intermittent Fasting - New Article!

Why You Should Skip Breakfast: The Secrets of Intermittent Fasting - New Article!

Intermittent Fasting challenges bodybuilding’s nutritional dogma that in order to stay lean, muscular, and healthy, one must eat small, protein-containing meals every two to three hours.

If you are sick of carrying around several tuppaware boxes and need a psychological break from the traditional bodybuilding diet, Intermittent Fasting fits the bill nicely.

Get ready to have your nutritional world turned upside-down.

READ HERE
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Great article. I'm wondering how/if one could implement an IF protocol when training two-a-days 3x per week.
    First workout ~10am, second ~7pm. My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Comments/links
    appreciated. Thanks guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the article. I've been reading about and following IF for a while and was wondering when something like this would be posted. Although it does call into question a lot of what people are taught, I hope they will give it a try and hopefully it will bring about some good changes.

Looking forward to another great article.

Good read! This is a perfect example of why the generally accepted knowledge about something isn't necessarily always the truth.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    This is a great exploration of a pretty hot topic. I'd like to hear anyone that has experimented with this, sharing their personal observations.

There is no way I could go that long without food...unless I was forced to do so.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Wow first "Getting big without the big 3" and now this. Seems like the forum is becoming more diverse now. It used to be "if you don't stuff your face until you puke and don't squat/deadlift", you are an idiot.

I have been using IF very loosely for a couple months now and I find it is a very easy approach to fallow. The first week was VERY hard to adjust and while the second week was better it was still a very uneasy transition for me. By the third week I was fine and started to feel the extra energy in the morning that Martin has described in his blog. I eat on average 3-4 meals in the window and hunger is really not much of an issue anymore as compared to when I was eating 5-6 meals a day.

Now a couple notes for my situation. I am using this approach as a recomp ( much like the article that Daniel Roberts wrote on here ) so I keep my calories higher, I have been laid of work for some time so besides the gym and cardio I am very inactive so I cannot tell you how I would handle this approach while working a normal job, I do not always fallow the 8/16 rule, sometimes its 9/15 or 10/14 depending on what I have going on that day this is the part where I do not over think it I just adjust to that day, in the long run this is not going to make or break me. I also try to keep my diet to around the same portions each day give or take ( 40% pro and 30% carbs and fats ) with a couple cheat meals per week ( I eat healthy most of the time but I am not entering a BB contest so its not that serious to me ).

I have dropped 5-6 pounds and an inch or so off the waist line on this approach but like I had stated I am using this as a recomp and not a full on fat loss diet at the moment.

I chose this approach as I like to go against the grain and it was just super easy to fallow and would allow me to have normal dinners which is something that I could not do without having guilt on a normal diet. I do not think this approach is better or worse than any other diet out there, but a very convenient one.

I do plan on actually breaking my intake down alot more as I am going to be the best man in a wedding coming up soon and do wish to look my best for that day. This is something that I will be doing soon, and will include higher and lower carb days as well.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Really interesting real life view of things, thanks for that... I am really intriuged to give this a shot on the future.

The most attractive thing for me is the physchological aspect of it. I find it quite hard to stay consistent on a clean eating diet, so I tend to fall off the wagon a lot. And when I fall off, I fall OFF lol. I eat LOTS for days on end which obviously really screws with my consistency.

The thing about IF is firstly you will be eating bigger meals which should satisfy me better and reduce the chance of me wanting to binge. Secondly, the very nature of eating later in the day makes it harder to over-eat.

I've been using an IF approach on the weekends to help me stay within my calorie limits and as general damage control to be honest. For example, if I know I am eating out with friends, I won't eat till that evening meal and I've always found this pretty easy to do... And the scales seem to respond positively.

Weekends are the worst for me and if an IF type of approach helps me keep in my limits, even if it were subpar to the more traditional way of doing things, it's gotta be better than constantly gong AWOL after a few good days of dieting.

It does feel as if IF is better for dieting though, but mainly because I don't have a problem sticking to a traditional bodybuilding diet if I am in a surplus. It's the calorie restriction aspect that seems to get me.

If you are struggling to be consistent with your diet, I think this approach is worth a shot. In my opinion, total calories are the most important and then macros and then food sources and following an IF approach it's possible to keep all of these in check.

It'd be really interesting to see if anyone tries this approach and to see how they get on. my view is that if you are struggling with consistency at the moment, why not try something new? What do you have to lose? Why KEEP trying to do the same thing and failing?

Great article by Ryan, my favorate of the year actually.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Wow first "Getting big without the big 3" and now this. Seems like the forum is becoming more diverse now. It used to be "if you don't stuff your face until you puke and don't squat/deadlift", you are an idiot.
    Thanks for the feedback

We're really trying to present a range of topics and approaches and also chellenge the norm from time to time to get people thinking about other options. Hopefully we're achieveing this

Don't fear though, we have a Big Benching article in the works to even things up lol

I experimented with it for a couple of months...

It's definitely a promising way to lean out. It allows you to reduce calories with less psychological stress and there seems to be a nutrient partitioning affect if you schedule your feeding around your training.

16 hours isn't really that long of a time away from eating. You are only really skipping breakfast. If you are a busy person, it is very convenient. However, if you are not very busy/active in the mornings and rely on eating to kill time/boredom; IFing is going to be tough.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Wannabebig Member
    I've tried eating one time a day before. But my parents kept on telling me it would be too much for my metabolism, and I could end up in the hospital. Being parents, it just scares you. So I quit. but my next question is this: can you honestly say every natural bodybuilder can consume one meal a day and still get to where they are today? The study also never said how many calories each consumed, just that they consumed enough to maintain body weight, which I'm thinking is exact BMR.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I think now it's more a case of "if you want to be big and don't stuff your face and don't squat/deadlift you are an idiot; unless you have injuries that prevent you from using those exercises and/or are dieting."

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Thanks for the feedback

We're really trying to present a range of topics and approaches and also challenge the norm from time to time to get people thinking about other options. Hopefully we're achieving this

Don't fear though, we have a Big Benching article in the works to even things up lol
    I'm sure other must agree with me here, but I'm a big fan of the "new" wannabebig. I was worried article quality would decrease as frequency increased but that's not been the case at all. Very impressed guys, some great new writers, articles and ideas.

I'm still a "squat/deadlift" and "stuff your face" kind of guy...but I'm always up for learning new stuff and seeing how other guys do things.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

GETLEAN
    Can someone explain to me how to use this, I'm confused

Wannabebig Member
    Of course, recently, I realized I'm not going to listen to them unless they have proof. Bu the questions I posted, I would love to have answers for. I doubt any bodybuilder could get to where they are just eating one meal a day, but I'm open to input. I also am trying to analyze the study myself for the first time, so I'm wondering if anyone knows the macros and the calories they followed, whether it was BMR or not.

It was a good read that serves to remind us that there are 10 ways to skin a cat. Except that with regard to bodybuilding there are more like 1,000.

While intermittent fasting is not for me. I do however prefer less frequent, more robust meals when dieting. And have had more success with them. Other may have more success with 10 meals daily. It all comes down to consistency and adherence IMO.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

This is how I eat every day....I love it.

I also workout in the fasted state with no problems...my first meal (50% of total calories for the day) falls 30-60min after
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

The 16 hours a day not eating and 8 hours eating really only adds up to a couple extra hours of not eating for most people (unless you have shakes in the middle of the night).

Seems this only works due to the calorie deficit like any diet would, and possibly the morning activity on no food - which could be done with cardio first thing on any diet

part of eating every 2-3 hours is to keep blood sugar level. I have trained over 50 people that work at Microsoft and they follow something similar. Skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner, no snacks, eat lots of carbohydrates before bedtime. They all are over 50lbs overweight. Albeit they do not work out until they see me...

Hypoglycemia is a risk factor as well as hyperglycemia!

plus who can sleep most of 16 hours per day? I wish. Seems like you also need a consistent workout schedule, which I do not have.

By the way, for those that have commented on the one meal a day thing, check out the leangains guide properly and you'll see that this isn't how it is recommended.

The guide for people with normal working hours is:

Two pre-workout meals

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

So, 3 meals a day.

On the leangains website, Martin offers a few examples for students, normal working hours and different training times.

For example here is one where you train in a fasted state in in the morning and have just two meals:

Early morning fasted training

Here's a sample setup for a client that trains early in the morning and prefers the feeding phase at noon or later. Read this for details regarding this protocol.

6 AM: 5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA.
    6-7 AM: Training.
    8 AM: 10 g BCAA.
    10 AM: 10 g BCAA
    12-1 PM: The "real" post-workout meal (largest meal of the day). Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.
    8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

I think the thing to remember when looking at intermittent fasting (in fact any type of approach) is that you don't have to take it as black and white and you should study the principle and then if it needs to be applied in a different way to fit around your schedule/personality then that's fine.

The best diet is one which you can be consistent on and stick to your calories and macros and if you can do that on IF and not on other diets, IF is probably better for YOU.

I definately plan to try this approach in the future.

I did the 5-6 meals a day with other exercise stuff and lost 50 pounds down to a good 180 lbs. I don't know how increasing your metabolism by constantly digesting has turned into "dogma" because it works. I did it, it works. Done deal...

Codeguru

Wannabebig New Member
    I have been using IF for the past 3 months and I can honestly say it has been the best way to eat for me. My eating window is from 2pm to 10pm and I consume 2-4 meals in that time period. I have also cut out grain based items from my diet (rice, oatmeal, basically anything proccesed). I have been able to drop 20lbs (180 to 160) of body weight yet keep strength up and actually gain strength in other areas. I have kept protein around 200-225g, carbs around 50g (fruit and vegs) and fat around 90g and that has been more than plenty to keep me full. Give it a shot, I was always a breakfast guy, but after eating IF I don't miss it at all.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I did the 5-6 meals a day with other exercise stuff and lost 50 pounds down to a good 180 lbs. I don't know how increasing your metabolism by constantly digesting has turned into "dogma" because it works. I did it, it works. Done deal...

Codeguru
    purely anecdotal

there is no scientific evidence that proves that eating more meals throughout the day has any different affect than less meals on metabolism

I agree with Daniel though. The most effective diet will be the one you can stick with...
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member Martin Berkhan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBB1973 View Post
    Great article. I'm wondering how/if one could implement an IF protocol when training two-a-days 3x per week.
    First workout ~10am, second ~7pm. My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Comments/links
    appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Example:

Fasted training (see first protocol, "Fasted Training", in the guide: http://leangains.blogspot.com/2010/0...ins-guide.html)

Meal 1 at 12-1 pm or post-workout (large meal)

Meal 2 at 4-5 pm (small pre-wo meal)

Training

Meal 3 at 8-9 pm or post workout (largest meal)