The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Home gym flooring help needed

I live on the 2nd floor of a 4 floor apartment complex at least 20 years old. The basement is below me and I have wood floors. I plan to put a power rack with 200-300lb weight set on about 6-7 x 8-10 space. What kind of flooring should I get to make sure my floor doesn't collapse?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

gym membership, cheaper and much easier...
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

Wannabebig New Member
    That's not a good option for me. Most of the time i'll probably go 3 times a week. Some weeks I won't even go.

Work in Progress
    What about that rubber jig-saw puzzle stuff they use at martial arts places? That seems like it would dampen noise and support weight.

Here's one option. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/home_gym.htm Scroll down a little over half way and they tell you how to build a good, solid lifting platform fairly cheaply.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Go to a farm supply store and ask for some cow mats. That's what I use. They are 4x6 sheets of 3/4" solid rubber and are indestructible.

EDIT: as mentioned however in your previous thread your downstairs neighbours may not like the idea of your home gym.
    Last edited by Mik; 05-09-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Go to a farm supply store and ask for some cow mats. That's what I use. They are 4x6 sheets of 3/4" solid rubber and are indestructible.

EDIT: as mentioned however in your previous thread your downstairs neighbours may not like the idea of your home gym.

It's worth the drive if you don't have one near by.

They're made out of recycled car tire and they do stink so let them air and/or use a heavy duty cleaner on them. Ask a rep as to what kind of cleaner to use.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

It's worth the drive if you don't have one near by.

They're made out of recycled car tire and they do stink so let them air and/or use a heavy duty cleaner on them. Ask a rep as to what kind of cleaner to use.
    LOL. I almost forgot how much mine stunk when I first got them.

4 years ago I moved you should have seen the movers casually walk over and grab the mats with one hand thinking they'd haul 'em out of the basement like they were 10 lbs each.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    LOL. I almost forgot how much mine stunk when I first got them.

4 years ago I moved you should have seen the movers casually walk over and grab the mats with one hand thinking they'd haul 'em out of the basement like they were 10 lbs each.
    Lol it's true. I sell them where I work and I get a kick out of watching customers grab them with one hand by themselves. Then putting it in their car and call me back complaining about the smell.

To the OP, especially if you're putting it in a small room like an apartment, get a cleaner and use the whole bottle for them.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

ok, putting down mats won't keep your floor from collapsing, but 300 lbs shouldn't collapse a floor. I mean you have a refrigerator right?

Banned
    if you are worried about a collapsing floor, you will have to build a platform to distribute the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    if you are worried about a collapsing floor, you will have to build a platform to distribute the weight.
    That's what I was thinking. Also, dropping weights would be the worst if you can avoid it
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

the farm mats are about $50 per 4x6 3/4 mat. synthetic are double that price if not more. farm mats do smell for a while, might be too much in a house. don't forget the 3/4 mats weigh 100 lbs each, so if you're using 4 of them that's an additional 400lbs!

Where in the world do I buy farm/cow mats? I live in a city.

I just moved into a new apartment and I need floor mats to dampen the noise from deadlifting. The thickest mats they sell at sporting goods stores such as Modells are made out of foam.

This one is 20mm thick.
    http://www.modells.com/product/index...2049960.714802

Last edited by tnathletics2b; 06-11-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Link
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Wannabebig Member
    You may want to put two layers of rubber. Bottom layer should be 2x2 rubber tiles, and on top should be the rubber impact mat. That's what my local gym does. To be safe, you can also add some wooden 2x4's in between to distribute the load.

I'm no floor expert but I do work in construction.
    "And this, is to go even further beyond!"
    "Don't ever underestimate me!"

If you buy anything from a sporting goods store that is gonna be used for a rubber mat, I'm sorry but you're getting ripped the F off. FIND a tractor supply store, get mats from them, lay down some plywood as a sub floor and then put the mats on top.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Thanks for the link, however those mats are only available in stores and the closet TSC location in my state is 50 miles away from where I live and I do not own a car.

Edit: FYI-I use to damper the noise in my old apartment with a few peices of rug over hardwood floor underneath the plates until I got new hyper audio sensitive tenants in the apartment next door who complained to my landlord about the "noise." I just moved into a new apartment last weekend and I do not want to get in on the bad side of my new landlord. I live/lived on the first floor in both apartment buildings.
    Last edited by CosmicForce; 06-11-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Second paragraph

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDanny817 View Post
    gym membership, cheaper and much easier...
    gym membership? how to become a member?

Quote Originally Posted by confidenceb122 View Post
    I'm sorry, how do you become a member of a gym? Is that what you're asking? Go to the gym, tell them you want to be a member, pay the membership fees.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by confidenceb122 View Post
    Do a search on Powerlifting Watch.com

Powerlifting Gyms
    Last edited by CosmicForce; 06-12-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: underlined the link

double up

Thanks for that link. Good idea.

For the author of this thread. If you have the ceiling height, using two sheets of 3/4" plywood will protect your floor and spread out the weight, and the farm mats will do the same, put on top of the plywood, and it will help the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post

Will you always be inside the rack, or are you going to dead lift outside of it, directly on the floor? Age of the structure has little to do with it. Nordicman is the only one who'd truly answered the question. The OP asked about collapsing his floor. Someone replied that 300 pounds won't do that, which is also correct.
    300 pounds is just the weight of two smallish adult people.

The power rack itself will distribute the load enough for whatever you're doing while actually in the rack. However, if you begin dead lifting outside of the rack, you're imparting impact loads on the floor directly, which not the same as through the framework of a rack. So if that's the case, you need to build a platform as described below:

What you are looking for is protection from the impact load of dropping weights. Not the static load they impart by just sitting there.
    There's a big difference. I highly doubt that cow mats will distribute an impact load as efficiently as two layers of 3/4" plywood.
    Better still would be an 8'x8' platform constructed of 2x4 sleepers at 12" on center, then install two layers of ply on top of that, with the bottom layer's seam going one direction and the top seam going the other way.

But if you're going to always be inside the rack, it's going to take care of you.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis