Thread: Stupid Q about Elbow Pain

Stupid Q about Elbow Pain

Okay, I guess I know what the answer is to this but I just don't want to hear it. I know I probably should just stop lifting for a while and see if it gets better, but I'm hoping someone on here just says "Stop being a giant ***** and ignore it!"

Anyway, I get a... discomfort? not really a pain when I lock out my elbow. Sometimes it's worse than others. It doesn't really bother me, but it makes me wonder if it's something that will get worse or if I just keep lifting and ignore it the joint will strengthen. It's kinda hard to pinpoint where I feel it, exactly. It's my right arm, if my palm is up I feel it more on the part of my elbow closest to my body. Sometimes I can feel it going into my bicep or my tricep. Like I said, I wouldn't go so far as to call it pain, but it doesn't feel good. Been like this for quite a while. Some mornings I wake up and it's worse. Sometimes I don't feel anything at all. After lifting it's usually the worst. Today during pushups, I twisted my arm slightly when I put the weight all on my right arm to brush away a rock or whatever was under my left hand. I felt a sharp pain then, but it didn't last.

Also, if I keep stretching it and contracting it, eventually it stops hurting. But it'll come back.

So anyone ever get this? I know I should rest it, but I can't stand the thought of just not lifting. I've heard of things like elbow wraps or sleeves or whatever. Would that be beneficial until it heals up or could it just be a weak elbow that will strengthen up with time?

Also, I'll note that I know you guys aren't doctors. I know this type of advice should come from a doctor. I also know that doctors are freaking expensive and I'm not bleeding uncontrollably.

Okay, so I lifted on yesterday and my elbow got uncomfortable again. Then today I felt it almost constantly, instead of just when I stretch my arm. But now it doesn't really bother much again... so I bought a knee band thing from Academy Sports (the guy there said the knee one works better than the elbow one)

So let me revise this question a bit. If I wear this thing on my elbow, am I okay to keep lifting? Should I just lift lighter until it heals or do I need to stop? I really don't want to stop. Do I have to stop ALL lifting, or just stuff like curls and tri extensions? Will dead lifts or shrugs be a bad idea, even though they don't need me to bend the elbow? Like I said, the pain isn't really bad at all. I just don't want to ignore it and cause a problem later. I'm hoping somebody else on here experiences this and can tell me if I need to worry about it or just ignore it.

How's your grip strength? Tell me about chinups.

I do need to start doing more grip work and dedicated forearm exercises, I want to order some of those big grip exercisers (the little ones from the sport's stores seem pointless...)

I don't know how to measure my grip strength, but I know I have a good grip. I have to for my job, for one thing. Plus I've always been good at "Mercy."

But as far as chinup's they're non-existant at this point. I'm ordering a power cage soon and it has a chin up bar, I'll be using bands to try to haul my bulk up at first. I tried to do a pull up not long ago and couldn't even get up half way. Tried again a few days ago and got up just about half way. I haven't been working out long and I still weigh 265 lbs, so...

I'd just train through it, and do a variety of grip work. And do chins.

elbow pain

If this pain bothers you, it would be a good idea to see your doc. I have the habit of continuing on with things, which sometimes you can train through and it works out fine. If pain keeps bothering, it is telling you something. I had pain in my elbows for several years, more some times than others, and it finally got so that I have had to leave off from training entirely, pain all the time, most all night long. . Any lifting of weight with my hands, gripping bothers, and squats hurt as I hold onto the bar. So it is freehand exercise for me.

I do physical work, moving and lifting, piling timbers and lumber, otherwise I probably could get started doing light lifting. . What I have developed is what I call lumber elbow, the classic symptoms of tennis elbow. It does not sound like that is what you have.

Going to a chiropractor helped, he dug his fingers into my epicondyles, into the muscles and tendons of the forearm, and it hurt strongly. He did some trigger point type work, and it helped. Yet, rest, icing, stretching were necessary, too.

You might consider a chiropractor, they can be as good as a good physical therapist.

Your business, but you could rest it and see how it is after a week, that won't kill you.

Thanks, NordicMan. I can't really afford the doc right now, though. Seems like my paychecks have just been disappearing. I mean, I could scrounge it up if I knew I had too, but I can't go and just find out it was a waste of time and money. Wish I could. Thought about telling my boss I hurt it on the job, but I'm just not like that. Actually, I shouldn't feel bad because I've honestly hurt myself several times and just didn't say anything. A couple of months ago I bent my thumb out of socket and I'm pretty sure I fractured some bones in my hand. I just pushed the thing back in and kept working. Still hurts when I lift dumbbells... So I guess I've earned a doc's visit from them. Eh... we'll see if it gets worse first. My job's also pretty physical and injury isn't uncommon. Lots of lifting and maneuvering of large, awkward and heavy objects over rough terrain by hand.

The pain seems to be getting better. I had my doubts about that little knee strap, but I think it made a difference. I wear it off and on, and I had it on during my leg workout yesterday. Still hurts to stretch my arm out, but we'll see if it gets any better.

How does it work for you to stretch out your arm, pushing against that pain slowly, to stretch out the muscle? Or how may it work for you to massage your own elbow/arm? The chiropractor I sometimes see told me to do my own massage, that it would help.

Well, it doesn't really hurt at all until it's stretched out all the way. And it feels like it's right in the ball of the elbow, off to the side. The pain goes away if I massage it, or if I just keep stretching and contracting. But it comes back eventually. It's worse if I leave it bent for a long time (like if I sleep on it) Right now I've still got light DOMS in my triceps, so I may be feeling that more than the elbow. It seems to go from my elbow all the way up. But I think it's getting better now than it was. I've been dealing with it for probably a month now, with it getting worse and worse. I'm thinking having that thing on my arm may have helped. I'm gonna wear it again when I work out tomorrow and hope for the best. But I'll keep up the massaging. I haven't really been doing that. Just been ignoring it. I've always kinda been like that with stuff...