Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Has anyone gone from around 255x6 to 300x6 on bench with HCT-12?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071

    Has anyone gone from around 255x6 to 300x6 on bench with HCT-12?

    Since I finally figured out how to get leg drive a month ago, my bench has been soaring up. I am adding 10 pounds a week so far and made my way up to 255x6 using HCT-12 twice a week (5 pounds each session M/F). However, I can feel a plateau coming on if I keep doing weight in the 6 rep range. I am the type of person who absolutely must bench twice a week, or I lose gains quickly. Has anyone effectively cracked the 300 LB mark using HCT-12 yet? I am going to keep going until my linear gains are exhausted, but it just seems unlikely that I can get all the way to 300+ lbs while pressing in the 6 rep range. I was thinking of doing work in the 3 rep ranges then doing a +1+1+1 instead once the weight gets over bearing.

  2. #2
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    That would help your bench numbers just because you've dropped the amount of reps. You could just stick with the 6 reps and work on getting stronger.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    323
    OR is right and although your question is a good one you're approaching things from the wrong angle. The fact that you're adding 5lbs to your bench twice a week for the last couple/few weeks is great but it's just adaptation to a different movement, your set up has changed significantly, it may as well be a new exercise and neurologically that's how your body sees it - you're just getting good at this exercise with practice.

    This is the problem with constantly changing exercises, you can be fooled into thinking you're getting stronger each week on a new exercise when in fact you're just getting good at the movement. Once the weights stop people swap the exercise out and start anew - you just spin your wheels.

    It was never said that in this program that gains would be linear and every session, the whole point of auto-regulation is to accommodate this, at some point gains won't be linear.
    You have to be prepared for that and not jump to conclusions because the weight hasn't moved in a couple weeks, if you're eating right and training effectively it will move eventually. It would be unusual for every lift to improve every week/session in HCT-12, more typical is a PR in one movement per session per week once familiar with the program. Besides you haven't even 'stalled' yet.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    OR is right and although your question is a good one you're approaching things from the wrong angle. The fact that you're adding 5lbs to your bench twice a week for the last couple/few weeks is great but it's just adaptation to a different movement, your set up has changed significantly, it may as well be a new exercise and neurologically that's how your body sees it - you're just getting good at this exercise with practice.

    This is the problem with constantly changing exercises, you can be fooled into thinking you're getting stronger each week on a new exercise when in fact you're just getting good at the movement. Once the weights stop people swap the exercise out and start anew - you just spin your wheels.

    It was never said that in this program that gains would be linear and every session, the whole point of auto-regulation is to accommodate this, at some point gains won't be linear.
    You have to be prepared for that and not jump to conclusions because the weight hasn't moved in a couple weeks, if you're eating right and training effectively it will move eventually. It would be unusual for every lift to improve every week/session in HCT-12, more typical is a PR in one movement per session per week once familiar with the program. Besides you haven't even 'stalled' yet.
    Good post...

    Its not so much that it feels like a new movement to me, its the fact that my shoulders are not in constant pain anymore during the movement which I think is why I can push through for all 6 reps. Also, I have gained some weight so that definitely helped.

    I know I have not stalled yet, but I know there is no way I am going to keep adding 5 pounds/week until 300. So I was really just curious as to what I should do. Do you just keep doing the same 6 reps and the same +2+2+2? Maybe I can keep the 6 reps the same and slowly increase the +2's until the difference between the 6 rep set and the cluster set is +10? Then go ahead and put 5 more on the 6 rep portion?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    323
    You're not in pain anymore that's great and of course that's going to contribute to greater loads, but the movement is still different, the focus has changed (clearly - your shoulders don't hurt) and the large-ish regular and linear increments still demonstrate that a large part of it is perfecting the movement, becoming more efficient, being able to hold the position better with less fatigue in the surrounding musculature etc.

    What should you do? You should do the program as outlined until that session comes where you can't increase the weight, ignore it, eat right, and with a bit of luck it won't happen the next time - just like everyone else does. You need some patience.

    Progress happens because you create a stimulus, you rest and eat and your body adapts. You can't force the bit after you've created the stimulus. Changing the clusters etc the minute you don't increase last's sessions' weights won't help, you're just ignoring why and how the body adapts.

    Lifting the same weight as the previous sessions isn't going to take you backwards - muscle growth is a long term adaptation to strength gains, there's a longer game in play than what happens in a single session - last session's load might provide maybe 95% of the training effect it did previously, but if that's what your body's allowing you to lift then clearly it's enough - it hasn't fully adapted to allow a higher load, but it will.

    You are going to come into a session and not improve. That will happen. But if you're eating and resting right and not messing around with too many changes trust that your body will adapt when it's ready - not when you demand you are.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    You're not in pain anymore that's great and of course that's going to contribute to greater loads, but the movement is still different, the focus has changed (clearly - your shoulders don't hurt) and the large-ish regular and linear increments still demonstrate that a large part of it is perfecting the movement, becoming more efficient, being able to hold the position better with less fatigue in the surrounding musculature etc.

    What should you do? You should do the program as outlined until that session comes where you can't increase the weight, ignore it, eat right, and with a bit of luck it won't happen the next time - just like everyone else does. You need some patience.

    Progress happens because you create a stimulus, you rest and eat and your body adapts. You can't force the bit after you've created the stimulus. Changing the clusters etc the minute you don't increase last's sessions' weights won't help, you're just ignoring why and how the body adapts.

    Lifting the same weight as the previous sessions isn't going to take you backwards - muscle growth is a long term adaptation to strength gains, there's a longer game in play than what happens in a single session - last session's load might provide maybe 95% of the training effect it did previously, but if that's what your body's allowing you to lift then clearly it's enough - it hasn't fully adapted to allow a higher load, but it will.

    You are going to come into a session and not improve. That will happen. But if you're eating and resting right and not messing around with too many changes trust that your body will adapt when it's ready - not when you demand you are.
    Thanks .

    Its been working well so far for sure, will keep going as long as I can.

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Millville, DE
    Posts
    54
    Daniel,

    REALLY good stuff you wrote in this thread. People should definitely take a lot from what you said regarding progression and stalling, etc. This is really good information here.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    This is the problem with constantly changing exercises, you can be fooled into thinking you're getting stronger each week on a new exercise when in fact you're just getting good at the movement. Once the weights stop people swap the exercise out and start anew - you just spin your wheels.
    I've spent months being screwed over by this in the past

  9. #9
    Senior Member jmccown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    388
    My last set has gone up 50 pounds on my last set from 405 x 3 to 455 x 3. This is a great program. I had become stagnant in my old routine and this is like a breath of fresh air, I like this HCT-12.
    Best lifts

    Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

  10. #10
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    My last set has gone up 50 pounds on my last set from 405 x 3 to 455 x 3..
    That is a HUGE bench.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  11. #11
    Skinny Feet Kiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    2,789
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    My last set has gone up 50 pounds on my last set from 405 x 3 to 455 x 3. This is a great program. I had become stagnant in my old routine and this is like a breath of fresh air, I like this HCT-12.
    455LBS is that all.....
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

    A Westside journal.

    'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

    'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

    'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Well I have successfully gone from 235x6 to 260x6 on this program so far...in only 4 weeks...

    Granted, I did used to bench 265 for 3 reps or so about 6 months ago but ever since I moved my bench dropped dramatically. I have now set TWO pr's in a row though...255 and now 260. Going for 265 on Friday...

  13. #13
    Skinny Feet Kiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East England
    Posts
    2,789
    Oh yeah my bench has gone from an end work set of 55KG (121LBS) to 77.5KG (170.5LBS) since may 10th, so not sure what my 1rm max would be, maybe 85KG?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

    A Westside journal.

    'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

    'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

    'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Similar Threads

  1. BiomedHawk Does HCT-12
    By Biomedhawk in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM
  2. HCT-12 right for me??
    By Case04 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
  3. 2 questions re HCT-12
    By gelong in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
  4. Questions about HCT-12
    By MadChef in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
  5. Hct-12
    By wanagetstrong in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •