The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

cramps after workout

anyone experience after an intense workout you get muscle cramps and spasms?

this happened to me, after a long workout where I was really trying to fry the muscles.
    later that evening I began having involuntary muscle spasms, twitching and cramps. Really strong spasms, this lasted for hours.
    post workout I had a protein shake, some BCAA tabs, and small piece of cinnamon roll (figured my body need a bit of sugar and carbs, or else i couln't fall asleep)

my question: is that a general good indicator that I accomplished my goal to fry the body parts I was training?

would restricitng carbs at that time force my metabolism to burn off body fat for energy?
    thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rugby Dad, spasms or twitches is actually a bad sign and I would hope no one is striving for this as a training goal. Spasms can occur when a muscle is overused and tired, particularly if it is overstretched or if it has been held in the same position for a prolonged period of time. In effect, the muscle cell runs out of energy and fluid and becomes hyperexcitable and develops a forceful contraction. This spasm may involve part of a muscle, the whole muscle, or even adjacent muscles. Overuse as a cause of skeletal muscle spasm is often seen in athletes who are doing strenuous exercise in a hot environment. This is also an occupational issue with construction workers, especially roofers. Usually, the spasms will occur in the large muscles that are being asked to do the work. It is commonly thought that dehydration and depletion of electrolytes will lead to muscle spasm and cramping. Muscle requires enough water, glucose, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium to allow the proteins within muscle cells to interact and develop an organized contraction. Abnormal supply of these elements can cause the muscle to become irritable and go into spasm.

information obtained from: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_spasms/article.htm (wfs)
    Last edited by mike mcgee; 06-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

well i wasnt deliberately trying to cause cramping. Just wanted to really hit the muscles of the back, was doing lat pulldowns, dbell rows, cable rows, pull-ups, etc.
    so as a result it did lead to intense cramping, so i'm assuming the lats and surrounding muscles were indeed hit hard.

Were you properly hydrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    my question: is that a general good indicator that I accomplished my goal to fry the body parts I was training?
    In my humble opinion, everyone would be a lot better off using numbers (lbs, volume, intensity, density, etc.) as their gauge of accomplishment over "soreness" or fatigue. "Fatigue-seeking" is probably not going to get you where you want to be, unless you just want to be tired and sore... JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/