The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Meet Results for IPA Worlds

Meet Results

2010 IPA Worlds, Raw(No Wraps), Elite Amateur Division (100% Drug tested Division).

This was my first raw meet with out knee wraps. Just a belt and wrist wraps per IPA rules. Not even knee sleeves. The meet had a buzz all morning about how tight the squat judging was the day before. First off I will say it was very strict. By strict I mean it was to the rule book. I will say it was a little refreshing to see such high standards at an IPA meet. Of course it sucks to get reds but thatís the sport. I will also say the judges were consistent all day and made everyone clearly break parallel for a good lift. And it wasnít the new convoluted Multi ply depth that has become the new accepted parallel. It was the ďTop of the thigh breaking the top of the knee true parallel (And donít get me wrong I have had my fair share of high squats passed LOL). Even the head judge was throwing reds for depth. That being said, after I realized how the judging was going to be I dropped my opener and adjusted my self to the dayís depth standard. It cost me some pounds but it cost everyone there a few pounds. As long as its fair and even (which it was) I didnít let it concern me. Luckily for me this was my first time with out wraps so what ever I did was a PR.

I started the day off with a 600 pound squat opener. I had initially thought 650 but after watching the first flight I knew it was best to open light and go deep. I thought I went deep but I was given 3 reds for depth. After that I jumped to 650 and got 2 whites for a good lift. I was relieved to be in the meet but at that moment I knew my goals of hitting 700 today was going to have to wait in order to hit a descent total. After 650 I decided 680 was a good choice. I sat down with it and came up well but was given reds by both side judges. 680 to me felt like a good lift but itís the judgeís call and all you can do is respect the call and move on.

Videos of my squats

600 No lift
    Video

650 2 Whites Good Lift
    Video

680 No lift for depth.
    Video

On the bench things went as planned. I opened with 450 for a good lift and then went to 480 for a 5 lb post injury PR. My shoulder felt great during this lift. The pauses were hefty but again it wasnít anything outside the ordinary. After discussing things with OOT we thought a shot at 500 might be doable. I could pick up some pounds I lost on the squat and be in good position total wise. We were wrong. 500 laid on my chest like a pile of bricks and it didnít move all but an inch. It did feel good to take a shot at 500 again.

450 Opener Good Lift
    Video

480 second attempt Good lift
    Video

The deadlift came to around 6 hours after I did my first squat. I was a little tired but still felt strong. Warms up went really well and after I pulled 585 for my last one I knew I would get a PR today. I opened with 700 and the dam nest thing happened. I never got a down command. I smoked the weight then stood there for about 7 seconds. After holding the bar I actually began to think the head judges pace maker quit and he might have kicked the bucket. I even though he was having a seizure and locked up. Iím not kidding either. 7 seconds is a long time with 700 in your hands and you can think about a lot of things. So in not typical fashion of myself I dropped the bar, shouted a few obscenities and left the platform. I was pissed but it was a no lift due to dropping the bar. My bicep was tingling and I wasnít about to tear it again so I let go. After that the heat was on and I called for 755. If I didnít get this I was out of the meet. I went down grabbed on and yanked that sucker for 3 whites. The best lift I have made to date in my career. For the first time I am closer to 800 then 700 in the deadlift. I must admit I almost got a little teary eyed. In a sport full of let downs this was a big step for me. That may not be hardcore but oh well, Deadlift PRs are special!

700 Opener No lift after dropping the bar out of self preservation
    Video

755 Deadlift Good Lift PR
    Video

So there you have it. A post injury bench PR and a deadlift PR. I totaled 1885 with just a belt on so Iím happy with the end result. I feel capable for more in the squat with out wraps but thatís what the next meet is for. After the meet Mark Chaillet threw a piss cup at me and said let me have it LOL. It sucks paying 85 bucks for a drug test though. Thatís almost a Keg of Coors. I donít mind though. It is nice to have official drug tested numbers under strict conditions. I do have one problem now though. I went with just a belt and it was very cool just slapping that belt on, hitting some ammonia then squatting. Looks like Ill be doing more meets like this. Donít get me wrong Ill throw the wraps on soon and try to squat something big. But it is nice to know Iím not afraid to take it all off and just lift.

I was running off Atlarge Stuff all Day. Before the meet I took 4 Nitor pills, A double shot of Results, and the secret formula. In between lifts I sipped on Nitrean and Opticen to keep hunger at bay. Having my bag full of supps made the day much smoother as Im never hungry at meets but I obviously still need the carbs and prtoein to stay in the meet.

Many Thanks to Chris and Daniel!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good job Scott!!!! I'm doing my first APF raw meet in 11 weeks and after reading your meet report, i'm getting pumped!!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Outstanding write-up Scott. Congratulations on your meet.

Awesome job Scott! I thought all the squats looked good.

What was the reason for no down command on the first pull?
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Great job Scott!
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Awesome job Scott! I thought all the squats looked good.

What was the reason for no down command on the first pull?
    I never asked. I truly think the Judge was not paying attention. He didnt speak english so I didnt feel like trying to interpret an asnwer.

It gave me some fire for my 755 attempt though, so maybe it was a good thing LOL.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Awesome work Scott.

I've been victim of a 200 lb misload on the deadlift, I was pretty mad about that. If the head judge wasn't paying attention to give me the down command, I would have been on fire. Great job on handling it so well
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lones Green View Post
    Awesome work Scott.

I've been victim of a 200 lb misload on the deadlift, I was pretty mad about that. If the head judge wasn't paying attention to give me the down command, I would have been on fire. Great job on handling it so well
    Thanks

Mis loads are awfull, Ill probably jinx myself but luckily I have never had one.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Why no lift on the first squat?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Great seeing you again Scott. You looked very strong. I think you got red lighted on your first dead for holding it for too long
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-30-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Great seeing you again Scott. You looked very strong. I think you got red lighted on your first dead for holding it for too long
    Thanks Vinny,

I think I held my opening deadlift just as long as you held your 750 at lockout LOL. Way too long....
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped