The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Very long meet write up for my IPA Worlds

2010 IPA Worlds Write Up

Where to begin, that's the question. I guess it started when my brother passed away back in December. I really was not thinking much about my weight before then, but after that I just felt like I needed to get into better shape. I had no looming health issues, It just felt like it was time. However, with the emotional distress I was under I did not quite make it to 275's like I wanted to when I competed in January. I learned a bit from that experience. For one, make sure your home scale is weighing properly. I found out quite late that mine was 6 lbs light.

After I hit a pr 820 bench in the 308 class I knew what my next goal would be--to make the 242's by IPA Worlds and to hit a current top 10 lift in that class. After a month of jerking around, I hooked up with Shelby. I was certain I had been dropping some much hard earned muscle along with the fat. That was not acceptable in my book. I did not just want to cut weight, I wanted to get into good shape as well. I found out quickly dieting is serious business.

Immediately into the training cycle I could tell I was not going to be able to chase after the same max effort numbers. So under the guidance of my training partner and CSCS Brian Holloway we switched from Westside to a block periodization progam. For those that don't know, block periodization is Russian for lots of reps. We based the training numbers off of a 750 to accomodate for my weight loss. Anyway, along the road I worked in multiple shirts as my body changed. I got through the program hitting all the prescribed numbers. I need to thank all my training partners for helping me throug the grueling 16 weeks. Thanks to Brian, Cristin, Drew, Josh, Karsten, Matt, and Tee Tee, I could not have accomplished it without all of you. Well, I probably could have, but you all made it easier and much more fun.

With training under control, it was all about diet, cardio, and rehab. I followed all to the letter. When you do what you are supposed to, you get the desired results. My bodyfat kept dropping and I kept hitting my numbers. Along the way many people helped keep me on track. Most importantly my wife. I was certainly not easy to be around. I also got a lot of support from my good long distance friends Joey Smith, Travis Bell, and Rob Luyando. Their well timed calls, pm's, emails, and texts helped me endure a very difficult process.

With the meet in sight, I started my cut one week out at 262. I dropped to all low carb days and cut cardio. Cardio had been beating up my legs. A few days out I started super hydrating and increasing sodium. Two days out I dropped to one gallon of distilled water and cut out all sodium. I started the last day at 257, which meant I needed to drop 15 lbs in 24 hours. There was no food or drink to be had until Saturday morning after weigh ins. For those of you who have never cut, the not eating part is easy, not drinking anything is an entirely different story.

I finally got some good news regarding some IV help. Rob came through in a big way and had a friend who could help out, Tim was super cool and a great lifter himself. I ended up making some new friends with him and his crew. Good peeps. My man Eric also came through with some bags. I drove out to see him in LI, NY Friday morning. I had nothing better to do anyway. Kathy Fields also helped me with a rehydration cocktail. It was waxy maize, honey, salt, l carnitine, potassium, and creatine. I was very scared of what it would taste like as I mixed it.

When I got back home at about 2:00 I was only down to 254. I knew I had some work ahead of me. I threw on my sauna suit and packed and ran some more errands. The crew trains Friday at 6 so I figured I'd hook up with them and get my bf tested. I got there early and just walked the parking lot in the sun. It blew. I was starting to wonder if it was going to be worth it. I really wanted to give up. I just wanted something to drink. I stripped out of the sauna suit and tried to cool off a bit. Meanwhile Rhodes talked me down. Soon after I got my bf checked at 16% which was down from 24, I put the suit back on and drove home with the windows up.

When I got home I took the hottest bath I could stand. After getting out I continued to sweat for about a half an hour. At that last check I was 245.6. I was done. I could no longer try to cut. I was completely drawn. I figured I'd try to catch a few hours of sleep before getting up at 2:00 am for the 4 hour drive to early weigh ins. Jess snapped a shot of me at my low point. It was touch and go at this point.

Here's funny thing about dehydration in case you did not know it, it can make one very anxious. My heart raced and i could not sleep. Now on top of that I was very fatigued and a bit unstable. I started to fear that if I fell asleep I may not wake up. Needless to say, I never slept. So at 2:30 am, Rhodes, Jessica, and I hit the road. I wore the sauna suit the entire way with my seat warmer on. We were supposed to get in at 7:11 am, but my little speed demon Jessica shaved nearly an hour off our time. The second we got to the venue I went to weigh in. 242.9 grrrrrrrrr! So back on with some fresh clothes and the sauna suit. I got in the truck, put the heat on 90, got the seat warmer on and pulled the sauna suit top up over my head. Rhodes gave me a bottle and I chewed some gum and spit into it. 15 minutes later I got out and made weight, 242.2.

I immediately began chugging down one of Kathy's cocktails. Holy crap, it was terrible. It tasted like waxy maize made with sea water. I took my medicine. I drank 32 ounces in about 3 minutes. I then drank 32 ounces of a weak Gatorade mix as too much sugar will really screw up your stomach after a cut. I took a few Immodium's as Luyando advised, which is a really good tip by the way. I then went and bagged up. After that it was time to eat. i was relatively cautious about what I ate the whole day. I stayed away from really heavy fried foods or too much sugar. I put down a few gallons of fluids, a ton of well timed out food and I was good to go. I ended getting my weight up to 267.5 by meet time.

Now on to lifting, it's about time right! Warm ups felt great. Everything went smoothly. The benches were different than the ones usually used at York, but it was not big deal. I took my opener of 730 which felt light. It actually went too fast and rocked me a bit at the top. I then went to 750. I drove it up to what I thought was an easy lockout, but the judges saw it differently. I was so confident i was already planning on an 800+ third as I was lifting. So I took it again. Again I thought I had it, and so did the crowd from their reaction, but i guess it was not meant to be. Because the 730 was a Masters World Record I exercised my option of a fourth. I took the 750 again and was just spent.

Video

Video

Video

Video

At first I was disappointed, but that lessened as time passed. I hit my immediate goals of making 242's and getting a lift in the current top ten. I have had quite a year of lifting in my book. Last August I hit a 605 raw as a shw which has me ranked 2nd, I hit an 820 equipped at 308 which ranks me 5th, and now the 730 equipped at 242 which is 8th in that class. All in all I was able to cut 84 lbs and get 3 top ten lifts in three different classes all within 10 months time.

I have room to grow in the 242's. I think it's my new home. I hope to put up a number I can be even more proud of next time I'm in the shirt. For now, it's back to raw training for a while. I need a break from the gear and hope to pack on some size with some full meet training.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 06-29-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Great write up vinnie. Excited to see what else you can do in the 242's
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Really awesome Vin. Great write up

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Great Job Vincent!!

Great work Vincent!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Nice work- your hard work puts me to shame!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Congrats Vinny, those accomplishment are somethin to be proud of for sure. And you know that you have alot more ahead of you those lifts you missed were super fast and they will be smooth easy lockouts soon, 800 will fall at 242 I'm sure

Great write up.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    next up: 660 at 181?
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I enjoyed reading this, thx for posting......
    - If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough

The 'low point' photo pretty much sums up the final hours of a cut.

Great job on the weight loss followed by the poundages you put up. You never fail to impress! Awesome work, amazing results.

Very impressive Vinnie, i'm sure 800 will fall at 242 for you soon my friend.
    AtLargeNutrition - Support the company that supports WannaBeBig!

Follow me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ajroberts

What you did is pretty incredible. Great job, Vincent!

Fantastic!

Awesome benching Vincent!

What was the call on the misses? Did they say not locked out or what? They looked damn close to me, maybe good.

Did I read "full meet training?"
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Awesome journey and awesome job.

Unless you've gone through a weight loss phase on the scale of what Vinny did, you can;t understand the discipline and determination it takes to get that weight off. My hat goes off to you!
    Last edited by Joe Black; 07-01-2010 at 02:24 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wow, what a journey. Inspirational. Losing that much bodyweight and still hitting big lifts. That's a big achievement.

Was this your first weight cut for a meet? If so do it again it'll be much easier when you know how it's going to feel!! Oh the joys of dehydration lol
    Best lifts @ 226 lbs

Squat - 903
    Bench - 573 / 617 @ 246
    Dead - 727

Best Total - 2204 lbs @ 226 18/07/2010

Congrats Vin and nice writeup. Not that it matters much, but why the redlights on 2nd and 3rd? There is nothing obviously wrong with either lift on the video.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!