The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Directv

Directv

Who here has it and how do you like it? Any complaints? I'm about sick and tired of Comcast. My bill is outrageous and my biggest problem with them is no HD PPV channel in my area. We order UFC/boxing at my place at least once a month. At $50 a pop, not having access to an HD feed is unacceptable.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    I had DirectTV and went to another provider to bundle in a better internet (had to for work). My bill has been shooting up, the service sucked, and the channels aren't as good.

Anyway, I'm having DirectTV back to install there cable on Wednesday. I'll drop my bill by $30/mo and add a lot more channels. The have some really good deals right now for new customers.

BTW, fights and football in HD are a must. Make sure to Spike HD if at all possible.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I had Dish and it sucked if a storm blew in, plus you had to have a lower quality internet connection bundled with another company. Big pain

Heard that Direct TV is indeed more reliable, but again, you have to get internet through a different provider and it's DSL

After you get through the promotional period, they jack the rates up and eventually you're in the same boat with cable. In the long run I'd have saved like 5 bucks a month.

Depends on your area though. I'm a cheapscate when it comes to cable. We just have basic, no HD. If I want to watch something in HD I go to my inlaws house

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I had DirectTV and went to another provider to bundle in a better internet (had to for work). My bill has been shooting up, the service sucked, and the channels aren't as good.

Anyway, I'm having DirectTV back to install there cable on Wednesday. I'll drop my bill by $30/mo and add a lot more channels. The have some really good deals right now for new customers.

BTW, fights and football in HD are a must. Make sure to Spike HD if at all possible.
    I agree with you. HD is a must for sports. We have a pretty good selection of HD channels, but the lack of an HD PPV channel is ridiculous when you consider the premium you're paying to watch that stuff.

I plan on keeping Comcast for my phone and internet connection....just think Directv is a better option for what i'm looking for on the TV front.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    That's essentially what I'm doing. Keeping internet and phone with the other company and just changing cable provider. As much as I didn't think I'd care I really missed Spike HD and NFL channel HD when I switched away.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    If I had an option for another ISP provider like Verizon I'd drop comcast in a heart beat.
    Our only other option here is Qwest DSL... no thanks.

**** Comcast and their bandwidth throttling and their stranglehold on the telecommunications industry

I upgraded our line to the 15mb in my last residence. Both my roommates were graphic designers and they send some pretty huge files over the line (on the order of a 1gb or more), and the internet got awfully slow when they were sending files. The funny thing is, after the upgrade our speed didn't change at all the when someone was uploading or downloading, because it's an "up to" speed. As in, you pay extra money for the off-chance that you might actually see that increase in speed.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Who here has it and how do you like it? Any complaints? I'm about sick and tired of Comcast. My bill is outrageous and my biggest problem with them is no HD PPV channel in my area. We order UFC/boxing at my place at least once a month. At $50 a pop, not having access to an HD feed is unacceptable.
    I've had Direct TV for around 7 years. Anytime I have ever had an issue with something, they've been good about resolving it. I had their HD channels over a year ago and ended up dropping it due to lack of channels I wanted. I think since then, they've added a lot to it. I had cable prior to this and there is no comparison between the two.
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Banned
    Uverse TV is amazing. i had it before i moved recently. i was so disgusted with comcast after having had uverse that i canceled the tv and i just have internet now. i couldnt go back to cable after having Uverse

Directv is great for quality, but is a little on the expensive side. I used to have a competitor of theirs, Medicom, but during ppv UFC 100, right at the beginning, none of their channels were available! They had all went down! I missed the first 1 1/2 hours of UFC 100! Their customer service was awful and belligerent. Put that on top of a glitchy internet/tv combo, and I was done. Had a GREAT conversation with one of their derelict customer service representatives. And by conversation I mean I let the snide little asshat hear some things he probably hadn't heard in a while.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

well, i had the install yesterday. i kept comcast for phone/internet. so far, so good. my dish has a very clear view of SW sky, absolutely nothing in the way, so i don't think reception will be a problem. picture quality is better than comcast and the channel selection is much better.

I have dish for TV and qwest for DSL. TV seems the same as comcast. It is a bit cheaper. The internet on the otherhand, OMG. Sooooooo much better. I average about 3x the speed of comcast, more reliable, and way cheaper. $30 a month for 7mpbs. On comcast I was lucky to get 1.5mbps. For $40 I can goto 20mbps and for $50 I can get 40mbps through qwest. The 7 has been so fast that I don't see a need to upgrade. I would seriously check out other internet services.
    Nick V

I wannabebig!
    directv + verizon fios ftw