Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress Pics (Only pre, will update with Post)

Progress Pics (Only pre, will update with Post)

So, I'm posting pre-progress pictures. I've been seriously training for about six years. I'm 5'9" 187 pounds. I've come a LONG way from where I started, but these are brand new pics taken today.

I'm currently doing WS4SB, going onto week 4.

Previous to that I did Starting Strength and Starr's (Madcow) 5x5.

Right now, I'm hoping to drop to 175 pounds while keeping my lifts up.

Going to be a pain in the ass.

Anyways, pics to keep me motivated...

Will edit with progress pics as I go.

Here's me, 5/9/2009:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KoSh; 05-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Shouldn't be too hard with Wii-fit around . Good luck with the cut.
    Currently: Sore

Hahah, I knew someone would make a comment on Wii Fit...

Hater
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Good luck sir. What are your current lifts like?
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Bench: 300-320 (i'll know when I max next month)
    Squat: 350-375 (same as above)
    Deadlift: 455-475 (same)
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Question for anyone that may read this...

Am I better off cutting or doing body recomp? I have some fat, but at 186 pounds, I don't exactly have a ton to cut. I think I was unintentionally cutting the last year or so anyways seeing how I've lost about 16 pounds and really haven't lost any muscle mass/strength.

I really, really want to get rid of the spare fat, but I also don't want to lose muscle mass. Diet is my 100% worst part of training. I know the basics, but I have questions up the wazoo for it. Any help would be awesome.
    Last edited by KoSh; 05-11-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

- calories in > calories out = gain weight

- calories out > calories in = lose weight

- calories in ~ calories out = Body Recomp if you're busting your ass at the gym.

it's really not as complicated as people make it. just manipulate your diet meet your needs and goals.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

ďPersistence Persistence.Ē - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Recomposition would be harder considering you've been training for a while. I'm sure you could do it but wouldn't it be easier just to cut for a month or 2? I doubt you'll lose a lot of muscle if you eat ~1g/lb of protein. You wouldn't be cutting for too long anyway, probably 6 weeks or so assuming you nail your diet.

Update:

No pics yet, but I weighed myself yesterday at 185 pounds. That's down two pounds in about five days of really watching what I'm eating.

I'm not sure of my BMR, so for now I'm trying to stick to about 190-200g protein and take in 2,000-2,250 calories to see what happens. It appears I'm losing weight extremely rapidly, which could just be connected to first weak diet beginners luck, or I may be eating too little. If by week two I'm under 180, I'm going to add a few hundred cals so I can slowly get down to 175 by the end of june.

From there I'm going to bulk back up again.

It's going well so far. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by KoSh; 05-13-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

water weight

"I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

That's what I figure too, Cards.

Just used some equations to come up with my TDEE.

Each said I was somewhere between 2,700 and 3,000 cals for maintenence. Tried all the formulas using my best guesses for body fat% etc.

I'm eating roughly 2,000 cals every day. So on diet alone I'm on a 700 cal deficit a day. Good point for me to be at, I think.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

a lb of fat is 3500 calories.

Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    a lb of fat is 3500 calories.
    I'm aware... But if my maintenence is 2700, then eating 2000 is a 700 cal deficit...
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Thats approx 1.5lb/week, why do you wanna slow it down?

Like I said, I want to monitor to make sure I'm not too low. I'm not sure how accurate my TDEE is.

If I continue on like this for another week or so and I drop a little more slowly, I'm going to stay at the 2000 level.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Banned
    If I were you I'd just eat and train more. You've got a good base and I don't think you need to cut. I'm 5'10" and I'd have to chop off an arm to get under 220. Bulk FTW!

Well, I gained a pound on a strict 2k cal diet. I weigh myself at just about the same time every day as well.

Is it possible that the protein I'm taking in is allowing for muscle growth? I'm completely confused. I look and feel smaller, but I gained a pound...

*shrug*

It's not necessarily a bad thing...

Or it could just be one of those daily things. Weight is funny that way :P
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    If I were you I'd just eat and train more. You've got a good base and I don't think you need to cut. I'm 5'10" and I'd have to chop off an arm to get under 220. Bulk FTW!
    This. I don't see the point of dropping 10 pounds, just to turn around and bulk again. Basically, you're cutting out a month of gains to drop a few pounds and then put it back on. I say eat slightly over maintenance and add some weight at a slow pace.

I'm not ignoring you guys. I trust your advice and it's something I thought about. I wasn't comfortable with myself where I was at. I want to lose some of the chub I have and really start "over" again with this cut and slow bulk up from there.

It's strange. I had a squat/dl day today and I crushed it. New PR for 3 rep in squat and I crushed a 410 deadlift for a single. No, that's not my actual max, but it went up real easy. On top of that, I gained a pound.

Not sure what's going on, but I look a little better (however much better you can look in a week, obviously nothing monumental) and I feel better and I don't see any stalling in my strength gains. But again, I'm a week in. Nothing that's happened so far is really indicative of what's to come.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

If you cut, you carb cycle and (really) slowww cut. You're going to be pissed as hell if you end up dropping 15 pounds and look about the same. I've only cut a couple times so I don't have much advice. I don't know how, but I messed up my first cut pretty bad. My second cut, I did PSMF+Refeed and it was like magic. I'd look that up. Check Lyle Mcdonald's board.

That said, my stance has always been that if you are under 200lbs (or 2.8 BMI), then you're bulking, period. After that you can slow cut down to 180 (or lose 10% of your weight).

So, I'm casting another vote for the slow bulk. Put on muscle and gain strength over the next year and you'll be a lot happier when you're a ripped 180.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks again for the advice guys. Still listening. I'm kind of debating with myself now. I feel I could have more success if I dropped down to 180 or slightly lower and then bulk up -- the right way. I'm coming from 200 pounds nearly a year ago and I wasn't sloppy looking, but it wasn't a good 200... At least in my opinion.

So far, I'm sticking with the 2kcal a day diet. It's looking like my maintenence is 2700 or so calories because I've lost about 1.5 pounds eight days in.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Ok, updating. 3 weeks in. I was at 182 when I weighed in on Friday.

A few more pounds (I'm shooting for 10 lbs, so 177 now) and I'll start a slow bulk back up mostly clean with a little bit of dirty in there (which is going to be one hell of a journey)

Didn't get a shot of the wheels because I don't think they've changed much. Just trying to get an update in here

For the sake of making it easier, I'm going to post my previous pic first, then the new one right after it. I don't know how to do that compare stuff

My strength doesn't seem to have suffered so far, and I'm pretty overall happy with how it's going. I know I'm going to need to pack on a little bit more muscle before cutting again, and that's fine by me. I feel better than I have in years!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KoSh; 05-31-2009 at 06:32 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

What a drastic change for such a short space of time!
    That's really made me want to cut now, I'm at 28%bf and I'd love to drop to about 15... Off to work I go!

Did you change your workout much in terms of cardio:lifting ratio?
    Last edited by Guitar90; 05-31-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    BP: 247x1
    SQ: 330x5
    DL 297x1
    Total: 874lbs raw

205lbs @ 5'11, age 18.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=114747

I started 5/3/1 but that really doesn't have much to do with it. Cardio 2 times a week.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

That's some awesome progress for less than a month of time, I can't tell that you've lost any LBM at all. You must be working your ass off, keep it up and get some more updates soon!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat