The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The curious case of the disappearing back squat.

Long story short, at the end of 09 I had worked my way to a 242.5kg back squat and a 195kg front. All was well. legs were huge and strong. I was happy and close to the 1/4 tonne mark. As some of you know, I went on a drastic cut and went from 234 to 205. Needless to say my squats and strength plummeted, but the gain in speed and recovery reflected in my snatch and clean and jerk, which was fine by me. Since the end of the cut in April I have been steadily increasing in my front squat and deadlift numbers, I did a 600 pull and a 400 front... in that time my back squat has not moved from 426. So as it stands I have a 15kg gap between my front and back, and at this rate I think I may end up front squatting more than I back.

Training program usually has a pretty even split of both squats, so I am at a complete loss as to what the hell is going on. I will make sure to get videos of both squats for further analysis but I was wondering if anyone had any idea.

My coach is pretty tight lipped but I have a feeling I may make the move to full time front squatting in the next year as we cut out more and more variety to focus on the classic lifts, but.. bleh.

Thoughts?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm sure it has to do with your leverages
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

me too based upon your body's new composition and weight displacement throughout.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Of course your weight loss has alot to do with it. It also appears that you are relatively quad dominant based on your numbers. I would venture to guess than most people who are able to front SQ 400 can pull more than 600. My back SQ and DL are relatively close to your current numbers, but my front SQ is nowhere near 400 lbs. It could be that you aren't getting much posterior chain contribution in your back SQ or your posterior chain is weak relative to your quad strength. Thus when you "add" more posterior chain contribution in the back SQ vs. front SQ you don't get much bump up in poundage. I don't know if this is a huge problem for an olympic lifter, so I'll let you and your coach decide if this is really a "problem" or not.

One thing I've seen a few times when guys lose a ton of weight and their belly gets smaller (supporting them less) is they begin to bend over a lot more coming out of the hole than they should. Maybe some extra ab and glute work along with trying to keep more upright might help
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 07-21-2010 at 04:13 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Don't have the gut to support yourself in the hole anymore. Need to build up your glute strength.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Of course your weight loss has alot to do with it. It also appears that you are relatively quad dominant based on your numbers. I would venture to guess than most people who are able to front SQ 400 can pull more than 600. My back SQ and DL are relatively close to your current numbers, but my front SQ is nowhere near 400 lbs. It could be that you aren't getting much posterior chain contribution in your back SQ or your posterior chain is weak relative to your quad strength. Thus when you "add" more posterior chain contribution in the back SQ vs. front SQ you don't get much bump up in poundage. I don't know if this is a huge problem for an olympic lifter, so I'll let you and your coach decide if this is really a "problem" or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    One thing I've seen a few times when guys lose a ton of weight and their belly gets smaller (supporting them less) is they begin to bend over a lot more coming out of the hole than they should. Maybe some extra ab and glute work along with trying to keep more upright might help
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Don't have the gut to support yourself in the hole anymore. Need to build up your glute strength.
    I miss my gut already. So I guess I need to devote a serious block of time to glute work.

Ok, I'm currently at 8 sessions a week, I'm going to add three morning

MWF, using ABA BAB scheme
    A: Back squat, 3x3
    SLDL, 3x5

B: Front squats, 3x3
    Good mornings 3x5

I'll also add lunges 2x a week after the evening session. Will report back in a few weeks.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

the reason your back squat isnt much stronger than your front squat is almost certainly due to the fact that you train quads hard (front squat), yet have almost no posterior chain (judgeing by pics)
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 07-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

I tend to agree with the others. I think you're getting alot from your quads in the front squat,but when you back squat you're missing out on hip and glute strength.

I think for OLers, it's not such a big deal (and probably not uncommon) to have pretty good parity between your front and (high-bar full) back squats. The difference between the two is probably going to decrease the longer you're in the sport and the more specialized you become. It won't be that way for everyone obviously, but like I said, not uncommon.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-25-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/