The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Rich Franklin trains like a beast.

Video

You don't think this is overtraining?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    Moar of the hot chick.

Edit: I really wasn't that impressed. I'm pretty sure I could do nonstop machine work for an hour. That stuff isn't too taxing cardio-wise or CNS wise.

I mean, ez curls and the inner thigh machine? I woulda thought Rich would have trained with more free weights. I was hoping to see nonstop, high-rep squats, deads, and overhead press. Disappointed...
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 06-30-2010 at 06:36 PM.

I saw this on TV awhile back.

Mike is a real hardass, and so is Rich
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Moar of the hot chick.

Edit: I really wasn't that impressed. I'm pretty sure I could do nonstop machine work for an hour. That stuff isn't too taxing cardio-wise or CNS wise.

I mean, ez curls and the inner thigh machine? I woulda thought Rich would have trained with more free weights. I was hoping to see nonstop, high-rep squats, deads, and overhead press. Disappointed...
    No, 1 hour straight non stop is hard no matter what you are doing. They are more concerned with conditioning than pure strength.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    No, 1 hour straight non stop is hard no matter what you are doing. They are more concerned with conditioning than pure strength.
    I didn't say it wasn't hard, but it's not like doing ez curls is the best thing for functional strength and/or conditioning. I'm sure Rich and his coaches know what they are doing, but the video itself wasn't very impressive. I'm sure he's a strong guy and has a decent build, but the vid wasn't that impressive and wasn't what I was expecting.

Edit: Was thinking over this video and started thinking that maybe they don't train as much with free weights to avoid injury before fights. Thoughts?
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 07-01-2010 at 01:13 PM.

He'd still be champ if he did deadlifts.

j/k, Ace is the man.

But seriously, where are the deads?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I don't get what they are trying to accomplish with it... This is not GPP for MMA, it's a smorgasbord of exercises thrown together in a cardio w. weights session. Will it develop some local muscular endurance that's useful for MMA? Maybe. Will it improve MMA conditioning over and above what you could be getting on the mat or in the ring? I doubt it.

JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    What the **** was that ****?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

From all the MMA guys I have seen training (pre-fight hype video) the only two that really stuck out were GSP and Rashad Evans, both had crazy conditioning that related directly to MMA.

Although I still believe the majority of these "training" video's are not an accurate representation of their actual training.

Whenever I see those training specials I think, these guys could be training a lot smarter and simpler. It seems sometimes people do something because it is the latest thing. Whatever works for them, but at times it seems as though guys are overtrained coming into the fight. Some of that could be associated with a weight cut. What do I know?

As far as training for MMA goes the best stuff I have seen has been from Martin Rooney. I believe he just came out with another book talking about training for fighting. He also did some interviews with Deisel Crew.

Wannabebig Member
    That just looks like training ADD to me

I liked some of the training Defranco did with Dan Hardy. Focusing on 3 minute sessions, to mimic the rounds in a fight. Pretty decent imo.

Banned
    A tremendous amount of conditioning is mental and not physical. Yes it is taxing and hard, but I do not believe that the point of that training session is for muscular endurance. An athlete of that stature would not waste time with that sort of exercise routine. Finishing the session and pushing through the pain seems to be the point to me.

Zach