Thread: Do you dread your work out?

Wannabebig Member

Do you dread your work out?

It's weird, my workout is the one thing I look forward to in my day. But once the time comes close I begin to dread it and I don't want to lift, especially if I plan on going heavier. Maybe it's cause I'm already tired after work. I just push myself through it and I'm always glad I did afterwards. I guess I gotta forget about instant gratification.

i always heard that if you aren't afraid of your workout you are training hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    i always heard that if you aren't afraid of your workout you are training hard enough.
    I think this is garbage. I know it sounds bad ass, but it's a quick road to burnout for most people. Once in a very great while, it's there, but way more often than not training is moderate to moderately hard.

There are a lot of times I don't feel like training. Most days I don't get to the weights until after 9pm, but I do it anyway.
    http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/11/...overrated.html
    I frequently run across threads on internet message boards and people in gyms who talk about "losing motivation to train". They speak as if the only thing standing between them and fitness success is the right pep-talk.

Motivation is over-rated. Stop waiting to get motivated. Motivation and enthusiasm will always come and go. Even the best athletes in the world don't always "feel like" training, but they do it anyway. Instead of waiting, start training for something and train frequently. Do NOT destroy yourself every training session, but do something almost everyday. Make training a habit. By making it a habit, you are virtually eliminating emotion from the decision-making process and, if the habit is ingrained deeply enough, there is no decision to make about training or not - you will train period.

Creating the right habits, mentally and physically, will help sustain you through the valleys and long plateaus.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PhxdB View Post
    It's weird, my workout is the one thing I look forward to in my day. But once the time comes close I begin to dread it and I don't want to lift, especially if I plan on going heavier. Maybe it's cause I'm already tired after work. I just push myself through it and I'm always glad I did afterwards. I guess I gotta forget about instant gratification.
    I feel the exact same way, it's annoying as hell. One of my sessions however falls in the weekend, where I do it in the morning and the dread is nowhere near as bad. I guess it is just tiredness after the days work where you just want to go home and collapse..

Weight training is my stress relief. I love it. I never dread getting there. Sometimes I doubt the last set of a lift, but never dread it.

I fear my sessions sometimes....sometimes, I'm REALLY not looking forward to going. Like if it's a heavy squat day or something.....or a heavy deadlift day. I go anyway though. I just do as Sensei said, I suck it up and go. Once I'm there at the gym, I train hard!!!!

Two things help keep my motivation up:

1.) I think about how awesome things will be after the training session. I think, "I'm gonna kick on the AC, and watch this awesome movie when I get home"....but I have to train first, before I get to relax. The relaxing is my reward for hard training!

2.) I do the 5/3/1, and I've been on it for 9 cycles now. I frequently change the assistance lifts, so it's like I'm constantly doing a new workout (although the main lifts remain consistent).
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    I never dread going to the gym. Ive been excited to sit foot in the weight room for 1 year straight now. I do, however, fear my sessions almost every time I go. I am always trying to break weight or rep PR's twice a week, so my Monday/Friday sessions are always "unknown" if I will hit my target or not which leads to fear. I like that feeling though, it gives me energy.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i always feel like skipping the workout in the back of mind but i just suck it up and get in the gym and do it. get that workout out of the way.
    Last edited by I_Esta_5; 06-30-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I look forward to working out. Staying motivated is all mental. A good mp3 player helps.......
    Last edited by jp2; 06-30-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    - If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough

when i get ready for sleep the night before a workout i usually go over what im doing that day in my head to kinda get myself pumped up for the next day. then...... when it comes time to go i end up dreading driving to the gym. but i just suck it up, grab my gym bag and go. the second i step foot in the gym i get pumped up to work out again, give it my all, knock it out then i feel great afterwards. then i have the next day off, then repeat again the day after that. i just hate driving to the gym, since i live in the country and you can't get anywhere without driving for a bit. but once i get there, its all worth it
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Yes, getting to the gym is 90% of the battle seriously. If you can manage to just get there, you're golden!
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Yes, getting to the gym is 90% of the battle seriously. If you can manage to just get there, you're golden!
    Last winter when we had that week of "blizzarding" I still walked my ass 10 blocks to the 15th and walnut gym. Was brutally cold...like 10 degrees. I got there and it was ****ing closed.

CANT WAIT TO GET A HOME GYM!

Haha, you're like me man. I've always been a very dedicated lifter. I remember back when I was in college, I didn't really know what the hell I was doing as far as training properly was concerned, but I was still dedicated nontheless and I never skipped days. I remember one day, there was an insane thunderstorm going on, but it was a scheduled lifting day for me, so I hiked my a** over to the school gym in the terenchal downporing rain just to get my session in. The girl behind the desk was like, "Wow, do you really need to workout that badly?". I was just like, "I dunno, I don't skip workouts."

I looked at the rain as something that sucked, but I didn't let it become an excuse for me to not train that day. I was just like, "This sucks, now I'm going to have to be soaking wet while I train." , and I did just that.

That is the line of thinking you develop when you making training a habit rather then a chore.

Banned
    Haha, you're like me man. I've always been a very dedicated lifter. I remember back when I was in college, I didn't really know what the hell I was doing as far as training properly was concerned, but I was still dedicated nontheless and I never skipped days. I remember one day, there was an insane thunderstorm going on, but it was a scheduled lifting day for me, so I hiked my a** over to the school gym in the terenchal downporing rain just to get my session in. The girl behind the desk was like, "Wow, do you really need to workout that badly?". I was just like, "I dunno, I don't skip workouts."

I looked at the rain as something that sucked, but I didn't let it become an excuse for me to not train that day. I was just like, "This sucks, now I'm going to have to be soaking wet while I train." , and I did just that.

That is the line of thinking you develop when you making training a habit rather then a chore.
    Exactly...that is what separates you from the rest of the world. It was barely raining Monday and Monday is generally a packed day at the gym...there was no one there when I got there. I will admit I am slightly addicted though...when I get back home I am already thinking about the next session. It is almost like a drug to me. I think if my back was healthy, I would take it even more seriously and try to compete. I grew up playing sports and I played D1 baseball all through college. Now that I sit at a desk all day, going to the gym is the only thing I have to look forward to in terms of "competing".
    Last edited by mchicia1; 06-30-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Getting to an air conditioned gym would probably help me out. I train outside in my backyard. It's been 110 out lately!

Sometimes. I work out in the morning before I go to work (@ around 11 am), and sometimes I would just like to sleep a little longer or have more time in the morning. But I do it anyways.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Ive been working out for 2.6 years, and to be honest Ive hit a switch in my head... I love going every session under normal conditions, its what i look forward to through out the week after work, even when im sick i wanna go but i don't. also I'm rarely sick so its not often
    Bodyweight : 195 - Height: 5' 9

Current lifts:
    DL - 490 x 1 - 462 x 4 ... Nearly 500 so close
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BP - 302 x 1 - 258 x 5, 225 x 10
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=108252&page=3

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Why not pack a spare gym outfit in plastic bags so you have dry clothes to work out in?

If I do feel that way, it means it is probably time to change something up.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Rarely dread my workouts. ME lower body is my favorite day of the week
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I never dread my workouts. Sometimes I may get a little tentative before a heavy set of squats but that's about it.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Yeah, I always dread them. Definitely. I just turn the music up and tear through it as best I can and always feel great afterward. I very much enjoy a good rest day every now and then (which lately is becoming more and more often, which I don't think is a bad thing in my case) XD
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 07-02-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Why not pack a spare gym outfit in plastic bags so you have dry clothes to work out in?
    Because that was about 8 years ago back when I was in college, and I didn't think like that. I'm older and wiser now.